Short answer to Tigers' dilemma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Short answer to Tigers' dilemma

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Short answer to Tigers' dilemma
10 April 2003 Herald Sun
By BRUCE MATTHEWS

RICHMOND is toying with the idea of fielding a small, mobile forward line against Fremantle at the MCG on Sunday.

While players such as Kane Johnson, Justin Blumfield, Greg Tivendale and Joel Bowden are 10cm shorter than injured spearhead Matthew Richardson, all can present a moving target for the Tigers.

"There have been games when we've played with a small forward line, and that's what we're going to have to do because we just haven't got any other tall players to come in," captain Wayne Campbell said last night.

"It's just a case of trying to manufacture goals until he comes back. We've had to do a bit of that recently."

Richardson is expected to be back for the Round 4 clash with St Kilda after surgery this week to repair a cheekbone fracture.

The Tigers, who are missing other tall forwards Brad Ottens and Ben Holland as well, must improvise against Fremantle.

"When you miss a player like that for a week, it throws the onus on everyone else. If he was missing for six or seven, it would come down to someone (to assume his role)," Campbell said.

"You can cover a player for a week, but it makes it harder to cover him for a longer term. I think we've got the players there to kick a winning score.

"Everyone who goes and watches Richmond knows a fair bit of ball gets directed to him (Richardson) and, because of his athleticism, he gets a lot of balls, anyway.

"So we have to change a bit. It's more that when he's down there, he just presents himself so well. We won't be able to do that this time, it's as simple as that."

Campbell will become the 10th Richmond player to reach 250 games when he leads the team against the Dockers.

And he credits St Kilda and Hawthorn premiership coach Allan Jeans with instilling in him the belief that he could become a regular AFL player.

The young Bendigo wingman was more committed to business marketing studies when Jeans tossed him an onball role in 1992.

"When I was drafted, I just came down wide-eyed from the country. I guess I came to Melbourne to study as much as anything, footy wasn't as big then," Campbell said.

"Allan Jeans was the new Richmond coach and he came to me and said he thought I was a good player. I had played 12 games the previous year and, at that stage, I still didn't know if I was a good player.

"He had a fair bit of experience and it gave me a great deal of belief. I suppose for any young player to have a coach of that magnitude come to him and say, 'I'll play you on the ball' gave me a lot of confidence."

Campbell acknowledged the danger posed by Fremantle's Matthew Pavlich in the midfield on Sunday. "Obviously for a guy of his size to be able to play in the midfield, he has something pretty special," he said.

Campbell said he wouldn't have time to savour the 250 milestone in a game the Tigers are expected to win.

"I suppose you need to win all the time, but we really need to win this week and that has been the focus," he said.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Another frawley brainstorm!!! Remember when he tried this against essendon a few years back and we got drubbed by over 70 points!!!! THE MANS A GENIUS, PURE GENIUS

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
frawleyudud said:
Another frawley brainstorm!!! Remember when he tried this against essendon a few years back and we got drubbed by over 70 points!!!! THE MANS A GENIUS, PURE GENIUS
freo aint hardly essendon of a few years ago.away from home anyway.
who,s the genius? ::)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
frawleyudud said:

If that's the round 17, 2000 game I think you're taking about, we didn't get smashed from having a small forward line but rather it was the plan of flooding, chipping and playing keepings off from the bombers. Didn't have the foot skills to pull it off and the wide expanse of the MCG didn't help either. Well we needed to try something different with virtually half our list injured.
Ironically it was very similar to the plan the dogs (who had better foot skills then) used successfully at the smaller confines of Docklands in round 21 against Essendon..

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Frawleyudud, which 70 point flogging is that, there are too many to remember ;D

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
All i can say is that it worked. Not such a bad plan afterall. It is good to have different goalkickers so the boys don't go to Richo predictably everytime. Maybe now there is a bit more confidence in the other boys we can go to Richo less often while Richo draws an extra player away. someone else must be free then, if he finds space we are set. Once they start manning up then go to Richo again.

Richos_gal

Tiger Cub
Feb 9, 2003
Melb
It's so obvious. Richardson has been holding us back! ;D

Just kidding, but it's worth a thought tho. It seems like without richo a few players really stepped up, yet they'll probably step right back down again when he comes back.
It reminds me a bit of the roos without carey. everyone wrote them off but they earned respect without him.

Call me crazy but I'd like to see richo out for another week (did i just say that). No richo not ottens= unpredictability. A word that is not exactly synonomous with Richmond.
All in all, however, it was nice to have a good win for a change.