South Melbourne Soccer Club | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

South Melbourne Soccer Club

om21

Original Melbourne 21
Oct 7, 2003
Werribee
www.original21.com
Appears the club is stuffed. In debt to the tune of $1.3million and the ASA have basically said they dont want us, and we were robbed against Adelaide United two weeks ago.

There is a rally this Sunday to a) get some cash into the club; b) hopefully to *smile* off Mitrakas and his mates on the board.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Like yourself I follow South Melbourne.

Soccer Australia (or whatever they want to be called) dont want either South Melb or Melb Knights due to the ethnical back ground of both sides.

What they want is a club that is started from scratch with no ethnical background.

Both Sth Melb and the Melb Knights will not be playing. 2 teams with big support behind them.

Its only the ethnical following of soccer teams that attract the crowds here in Victoria.

Look at Perth Glory, a team that was started from scratch with no ethnical attachments. Thats what Soccer Australia is wanting.

What I cant understand is, why the 8 teams, one being from New Zealand. They should make this an Australian competition and rid NZ from the comp.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Furthermore, is channel 7 that has contributed to killing Australian soccer.

They bought the TV rights and refused to show any matches live, replays or highlights.

I remember channel 7, when they lost the AFL rights, they bought the soccer rights and said they were going to take soccer to new heights.

om21

Original Melbourne 21
Oct 7, 2003
Werribee
www.original21.com
Well I throw the question: Would you support a new team here in melbourne?

Sadly, I dont beleive there is that strong ethnical ties that South once had. I think that ASA have not looked into South closely and have simply judged from afar.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Too early to state if I'd following them or not. Should I do, it wouldnt be the same way I follow South.

As for South Melbourne not having as strong ethnical ties, I disagree.

Whenever I go, there are always those who chant out Hellas. Just look at the people that go to see Sth Melb play, 95% are Greeks.

om21

Original Melbourne 21
Oct 7, 2003
Werribee
www.original21.com
I think u are mixing up a couple of things. Chanting Hellas doesnt automatically make it a greek club does it? You are just assuming something which I can say is totally wrong. Half the people doing it are Aussies/Some other nationality.

People have accepted that it was once the nickname of the club. And they are more than happy to chant that. More a historical reference as opposed to chanting 'Greece, Greece'.

The majority of the people are greek, btu I will add that I organised two bus trips to Adeliade this year and half the buses were filled with non-greeks. The Greeks were happy to sing non-greek chants; and the Aussies were happy to learn a couple greek ones.....while we worked on greek tunes with english words.

It was an eye-opening experience for everyone on the bus bc it showed how everyone was willing to take a step in between and compromise. I dont know, just said that our club is going to die.