Speech i had to write | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Speech i had to write

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Hey everyone, i had to write an agrugmentitive speech for my english class, and i was hoping if i posted it on here you would all let me no what you think. All feedback welcome, sorry bout the spelling mistakes & length :)

What gives someone the right to tease someone else? What gives someone the right to act like the are a higher power over someone else? Bullying is becomes an increasing problem in schools worldwide. Hows this for some facts...
* Bullied children have a 30% higher chance of developing depression in their teens.
* 60% of children are physically or verbally abused at some stage in their school life.
*The kids help line recorded 6000 calls from bullied kids in Australia who wanted help last year.
*1209 of those calls were from Victorian kids.
* Around 90% of all callers were under 15.
Those alarming figures have put pressure on schools to implement an anti harassment no bullying policy. Eltham College have bought in the Peace Builders policy, but can anyone honestly say to me that they think it is working?
Sure it may be having some results in the junior school but that's not where the problem is. The problem is here, surrounding us, and I know not one person in this room can say they have never bullied someone before, or been bullied themselves.
There are many types of Bullying - Verbal bullying which includes name calling, teasing etc, non verbal bullying which consists of actions, embarrassing somebody etc, Physical bullying which is things like kicking, punching, hitting etc.,
Psychological bullying which includes playing mind games with someone, standover tactics, gestures etc., Sexual bullying which involves Physical, Verbal, or non verbal sexual conduct etc. and the latest type of bullying going around
- Textual Bullying - Textual bullying involves abusing someone through either SMS, emailing, or letters.
Bullying can be started in a number of ways, the first that comes to mind would have to be people thinking they're better than others and Social groups in school thinking they are more superior to others.
From the word go kids have been moulded by the media to believe if they have the right type of jeans or shoes they will be seen as “cool”, they will become part of the popular group and they will have more friends.
While the people that don’t have those jeans or shoes, are left on the outer, and because of this people think it’s alright to have a swipe at them or make a stupid remark here and there.
There are also many other reasons bullying occurs. People bully others because of Religious belief, gender, sexuality, disability, personal characteristics, race...that’s just naming a few.
Bullying can change the victims mental outlook on life, make the victim feel small and insignificant, make them feel like they have no one to turn too - this can result in tragic circumstances - for example teenage suicide.
Australia has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. Bullying recently took the life of a girl our age. A year 9 student from Thomas Carr high school was only 14 years old and decided to take her life because she was being bullied at school.
I would like you to think about that for a moment - a girl OUR age - felt like she had no one to talk too, no one she could turn to for help. Can you imagine turning up for school every day and being bullied and ridiculed
till you felt absolutely worthless?
No one should have to feel like that...ever.
Bullying doesn't just stop in high school, it carries on through the age groups, and you often here of work place bullies, most likely these work place bullies were bullies in high school. The sad thing is people often bully someone and not realise what they have done.
We often make remarks like “Omg, how crap can he get at footy” or “what the hell is she thinking wearing that?” And not realise that those small remarks are known as bullying and it could be hurting someone’s feelings.
Bullying will probably be a problem in school life for years to come, but if we all work together, we can stamp bullying out forever. IF we think before we say or do something, If we apologise to the people we bullied in the past,
If we stand up to the bullies and tell them that what they are doing is wrong we will all be taking a step closer to stopping bullying in schools.
Just remember everyone has the right to be treated with fairness, dignity, and respect. No one deserves to feel worthless

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well done g0tigers.
That's very well written. They are quite alarming statistics.
I reckon most people that are bullies, especially the leaders have a low self esteem. And are probably picked on, bullied or mistreated at home.

Good work and good luck.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Very impressive and well done g0tigers. Sad to see how it still affects people I know about things that happen in the past and it does affect them later on in life. I guess I have been a bit of both and I am a pretty easy going type of guy adn it hasnt really affectedme that much but then it never happened constantly. It would be tough being a kid these days, it is good that you are writing things such as this to help the awareness and hopefulyl change even one persons opinion as to who may be a potential bullier to maybe think twice and not go through with it.

Congratulations and good luck with it.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Great work gOtigers.

What I would like to see schools teaching is self-esteem. If people have a good opinion of themselves then they do not allow themselves to be mistreated in any way.

Teach that and the problem all but disappears.

Sounds simplistic, but it would work.

Tigerman is right. The people who do the bullying do have low self-esteem, but the people being bullied (without realising it) allow themselves to be treated in such a way because they have low self-esteem as well.

Good luck.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
MC24 said:
Great work gOtigers.

What I would like to see schools teaching is self-esteem. If people have a good opinion of themselves then they do not allow themselves to be mistreated in any way.

Teach that and the problem all but disappears.

Sounds simplistic, but it would work.

Tigerman is right. The people who do the bullying do have low self-esteem, but the people being bullied (without realising it) allow themselves to be treated in such a way because they have low self-esteem as well.

Good luck.

I agree MC24, I used ot have low self esteem and did get bullied a bit when i first went overseas and hten when i first came back from overseas. Eventualyl i stood up for myself and never looked back. Now i am probably too far the other way and arrogant except when it comes to sport when i always feel bad when i feel like i am underachieving or letting the boys down, but generally now my self esteem is good and I think it should be coached into young minds. There is a lot of sense in what you say. Glad it didnt happen to me often, i can see how it affects people and it isnt good. Even years later.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
It affects people in many ways shawry. The community and education system don't treat the cause, just the symptoms and they'll never find a solution that way.

When your self-worth is low, you all but allow yourself to be mistreated or taken advantage of. Whether you realise it or not.

g0tigers said:
Just remember everyone has the right to be treated with fairness, dignity, and respect. No one deserves to feel worthless

That's true g0tigers, but if you have low self-esteem, then you feel worthless and that is when people mistreat you.

We can make people aware that you shouldn't mistreat others, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

The only way to stop it happening is to teach self-esteem and for everybody to realise that they are worthwhile.

Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you do not respect yourself, how can you expect others to respect you?

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Thankyou all for the kind words.

MC24 i hope you dont mind but i added those last to lines in to my speech
Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you do not respect yourself, how can you expect others to respect you?

Im a pretty out spoken person (not to mention loud) and if something or someone is troubling me i will say something. The people i worry about are the ones that i see at school who get picked on and dont say anything , and im scared that one day something terrible will happen to them..thats why i wrote the speech. But i dont think it got through to the people i was sort of aiming it at , in fact i dont think they took any notice at all.

My school has bought in the peace builders policy - but its aimed at the junoir yrs (prep - 6) which is all well and good, those kids may realise bullying is bad which is a good thing of course, but i want to see people addressing the real problem - The senoir yrs. Every school day you see people making swipes at each other like its the normal thing to do - and the teachers are doing nothing about it. 2 perfect examples from school today - Fight in my class during english (one of the kids has an anger problem) the teacher sat there because she is tiny and refused to put her self between the 2 boys to stop them - luckily no fists were thrown.

2nd example - on my bus coming home a fight between a yr 11 and a yr 9. There are verbal slinging matches everyday between these 2 but today it got a lil more serious and they were swinging each other around but the collars again luckily no one got hurt.

Its scary that people at my school talk about violence and bullying like its a normal thing that no one can or should stop it

Sorry for the long post... hope it made sense ::)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
g0tigers said:
MC24 i hope you dont mind but i added those last to lines in to my speech

I don't mind at all g0tigers. I'm flattered and glad to be of help.

g0tigers said:
The people i worry about are the ones that i see at school who get picked on and dont say anything , and im scared that one day something terrible will happen to them..thats why i wrote the speech. But i dont think it got through to the people i was sort of aiming it at , in fact i dont think they took any notice at all.

Its scary that people at my school talk about violence and bullying like its a normal thing that no one can or should stop it

That's what happens g0tigers. The people who need to hear something the most are the ones who won't listen. They're self-esteem is so low that they don't see or hear anything that tells them they can be any different to how they already are.

It says something about how much we are prepared to put up with before we will stand up for ourselves.

That's why I think teaching self-esteem is the only way to solve these issues.

Keep up the great work g0tigers and there's no need to worry about people. We all have experiences to learn from them. You can help people to change by bringing awareness to them. If they do not want to change, you cannot make them change. It is their choice.

Look for those who are willing to listen and change.