St Kilda Tigers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

St Kilda Tigers

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Does anyone know if St Kilda are sponsored to wear yellow jumpers? (I think I asked this before but can't remember the answer :-\)

I think they were sponsored by Pura milk for a one off game, but wonder if that that sponsorship is the reason they wear them still.

If it's not for sponsorship you'd wonder why they didn't go for red.

Their yellow jumpers are a brighter version of how I'd imagine Richmond to look if the AFL ever enforced alternate strips.

Wayne Jacko was On The Couch last night and insisted that eventually every club is going to have to have alternative colours.

He said the one or two clubs that wanted to stick to their traditional colours would eventually be out voted by all the other clubs.

I actually thought it was a club issue, not something subject to a vote at AFL level.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Our jumper has changed over the years. I don't think we can afford to be too precious about it. If it is deemed necessary, I can't get too worked up about having an alternative strip. As long as it is a combination of yellow and black and looks OK, I'd be happy.

If it helpsour players to avoid handballing straight to an Essendon player who runs in and kicks an easy goal (as happened this year), then you can't be too unhappy about that! I agree though that it should be a club decision, but I can also see that the AFL may have to send an edict from on high — look at Eddie McPie's attitude atm on this issue.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Totally agree.
The traditional jumper will always remain- for home games, but for an away game, how does it matter? You are not selling out the history of the club at all. I think it could be argued (though not by me) that the change a few years ago- removing the back sash and changing the number to yellow- was a far bigger step, and came relatively easily. This change i personally think is better both in terms of looks and identification of players. The same reasoning should apply to away jumpers.
I find Eddies comments on never changing the Collingwood strip to be rediculous- How long has that big F$^%$ Magpie been on the front of the collingwood kit for away games? Since when exactly was collingwoods jumper black with the 3 white stripes on the front- funnily enough since ADIDAS started to sponsor them. Calls of indignation from Eddie would have a lot more pull with me if it was a case of protecting the jumper, rather than an ego driven argument over who is really the black and white team.
Away jumpers are practical. They improve the watching of a game. They improve players judgement. Just change and get over it I say.
hutstar

P

PuntRoadRoar

well isnt it obvious? st kilda want to be like us... they want our colours.. want our supporter base and probably our club song aswell. They are just jealous.......

seriously though, if we had to have an alternate strip then i think our preseason jumper would be fine just reverse the colours, have a yellow jumper, black numbers and black stripes along the front.

anyway how many times a year would we really need to wear the alternate strip? once maybe twice?
away games against essendon maybe? and possibly away games against the eagles depending on which of their 50 strips they want to wear.

i dont think its a major issue for our great footy club

go tigers !!!!!!

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Interesting to hear Jacko's comments last night and re-printed in todays Herald-Sun regarding the AFL having the right to force Clubs into alternate strips. Club constitutions (like ours) become irrelevant because of the license agreement the Clubs have with the AFL.

My personal preference if we must have an alternate guernsey would be to have our Pre-season comp. jumper with the colours reversed with the Tiger logo in the centre.

Hmmm.... that sounds very much like the Club's old training guernsey from its Lotto sponsorship days.

I have a picture of one - Rosy if I scan it and email it to you can link it for me so people can view it ???

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Don't believe the Saints are sponsored to wear that yellow guernsey (could be wrong though). They wore it last year as well against Collingwood and Essendon. Not too popular with saint supporters I know and can't say I blame them. Yellow jumper with white shorts ain't a good look :p.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Koalalill said:
I have a picture of one - Rosy if I scan it and email it to you can link it for me so people can view it ???

No worries KL. :)

I'm warming to the idea of alternate strips and would love to see the change become compulsary while Eddie is head honcho at Collingwood.
Would be good sport to see him lose the battle. ;D

My stipulation if it came to a vote would be that it had to be yellow and black colours though.

The Saints don't look right in yellow imo, as we wouldn't look right to me in red or purple or pink or any other foriegn colour.

Oh we're from tiger
PURPLE and PINK..haha yuk.

What teams have their colours mentioned in the theme song?

Richmond
Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Carlton

Any others?

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
My stipulation if it came to a vote would be that it had to be yellow and black colours though.

The colours are given I reckon. And when you think about it we would only need for a couple of games

C'wood (maybe)
Essendon
St Kilda
Weagles (maybe)
Carlton & Melb (PERHAPS)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I've already vented my spleen on this issue in the past, so I'm not going to get worked up about it all over again ... unless I have to.

So I just wanted to say what a ridiculous sight it was seeing the St. Kilda cheer squad waving their red, white and black colours when their team was wearing yellow, in place of red. If you didn't know better you could have been forgiven for thinking that they were actually cheering for the umpires who were wearing red and black. :p

Is this a crazy mixed up comp., or what? Some direction, by someone, somewhere please.

Why was Port allowed to adopt a strip that clashes with what was already in place? And why are the changes that are made to jumpers making it more confusing than things were before?

It seems that there is more fuss and confusion being caused by the changes made. The changes are fixing nothing, so just leave some traditions alone.

Koalalill

Dec 17, 2002
In a perfect world I don't want to see our jumper changed. I love the traditions of OUR CLUB. I too find it puzzling about the big push for alternate strips. I think more than anything it is 1) TV driven and 2) dollar driven - how many merchandising $$$ can we get.

However the AFL have finally come out and said - we can make you change. It has taken them years but finally they have said it.

If we are left with no alternative and we are "forced" into it, I would much rather have some say in what an alternate RFC jumper looks like than having the AFL dictate to my Club what the colours have to be.

I have said before from a purely $$$ perspective - if it is financially worthwhile for us to wear an alternate strip (eg Nike says here's $300K+ ) then we seriously have to consider it. Especially at the present time with our M'ship numbers being so abysmal

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Firstly on the Saints thing... Completely FN ridicuolous!
Since when has yellow even been a part of their Guernsey... so why not have a red dominated strip or white dominated or something?? Or was it just too easy to pull out the Pura milk jumpers cause Grant Thomas' wife think they look simply marvy!
Get a different away strip now you colour thieving hacks.
You give YELLOW a bad name!
On the Tiger guernsey... personally speaking if the jumper was only to be changed for away games v Essendon Weevils and Adelaide thats 3 games a year I wouldn't object. But I'd hate for our guernsey to be sold out like St Kilda have... and Carlton and Kangaroos in the past. Unless the financials for a one off are way better than 'to good to refuse'.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Until the second world war, the Saints colours were actually yellow, red and black.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
If there some substantial financial gain then we should look at an alternative strip, but it would have to be in the Yellow and Black colours. Anything else would be completely unacceptable, but I don't see any other clashes with that.

On the issue of jumper clashes I was at the Richmond Essendon game high up in the Southern stand and had no problem distinguishing player on the opposite side of the ground.

The yellow and red sash were distinguishalby different, our yellow numbers with no sash as opposed to their white number on the red sash and the black and white shorts made it easy enough IMHO.

Obviously this is being driven by television and the marketing dollar. Well thats okay as long as the windfall flows back to the clubs that are FORCED to make these changes.

Personally I reckon they would get better value in trying to improve the current camera work of some of the Networks now covering AFL games.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
GT12 - Most avid followers don't have any problem - it is the TV image that the AFL are concerned with. All other sports have away strips to avoid clashes, so the AFL don't want to be left behind.

I don't mind the idea of an alternative strip.

Obviously we would want to retain the basic of black jumper and yellow sash, but by adding some more yellow in e.g around the collar, cuffs and the side panel and even an extra yellow hoop at the bottom it would become distinctive enough as not to get confused with other jumpers such as the bummers and the aints.

As well, the AFL is likely to force all clubs to have an away strip - they own the rights to the jumper and logos - so it would be prudent of the club to start developing some different jumpers and maybe let the members have some input.

Rosie, maybe P.R.E can organise a submission to the club based on all the crazy ideas I am sure we would all have. ;D

If we get into gear now, we won't be forced to wear training jumpers such as Port Power did last year.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
GusTiger
personally I reckon they would get better value in trying to improve the current camera work of some of the Networks now covering AFL games.
. I notice that the interstate games always have the poorest camera work. Jerky and bad guessing as to where the ball is. Also in some cases the directorship leaves alot to be desired in that we get shots of fans eating pies and waving to Mum while the footy is being played! *smile* THE CROWD show me THE FOOTY!
Interesting facts I have only recently become aware of... those maggots that hound you in Richmond colours before the game to buy a raffle ticket are making a dollar each ticket with a dollar going to the Tigers and 50 cents to the agency that employs them ( or something like that) and when you ask 'em as I did before the game who they barrack for they ineveitably answer North Melbourne or Kangaroos... atleast they did when we played Essendon anyway.
And 2, my mate is a camerman... freelance... he does great jobs everywhere but also does the footy sometimes.Was very interested to learn from him that the scoreboard coverage at floglands and the 'G are provided by cameras independent of ch9 10 and FOX in other words I think he said it was 2 cameras are used exclusively for the scoreboard action.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Tigerdog said:
GusTiger
personally I reckon they would get better value in trying to improve the current camera work of some of the Networks now covering AFL games.
. I notice that the interstate games always have the poorest camera work. Jerky and bad guessing as to where the ball is.
with our poor record interstate you sure its not the shaking tv? ;D

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
For once in my life I agree with Eddie. Don't mess with the tradition of the club.

But. I have some ideas on an alternative strip and will continue to work on it and will post it here somewhere for opinions when I am happy with the outcome.

My idea is to include the Tiger Logo on a basically yellow jumper with some interesting twist.

Whilst I am still opposed to an alternate strip I do agree that we should have some option open if the duds at the AFL want to make mandatory decisions.

BUT is this the same Wayne JACKSON who said that the idea of clubs throwing games was not an issue for the AFL.

The man is a poor excuse for an administrator let alone anything else. Who else would make such a stupid comment????????????????

Protect our heritage. That is and was what made this club great. It is what drives the passion and will lead to the future glory.