Staff the Tigers' golden boy (rfc site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Staff the Tigers' golden boy (rfc site)

T

tiga chikk

Staff the Tigers' golden boy
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
9:49:17 AM Thu 29 May, 2003

Richmond's 'Man Mountain', Greg Stafford, is the player the Yellow and Blacks can least afford to have out of their line-up right now . . .

That's the overwhelming opinion of Tiger fans who have responded to the latest poll question on the Club's official website, richmondfc.com.au.

In reply to the question, "Who is the player that Richmond can least afford to have out injured" (accompanied by a list comprising Stafford, Matthew Richardson, Mark Coughlan, Kane Johnson and Wayne Campbell), a staggering 53% have nominated the former Sydney ruckman, followed by Richardson with 15%, Coughlan 14%, Johnson 11% and Campbell 7%.

Stafford's strong ruck play has been a key factor in Richmond's revival this year. Over the first eight rounds of the season (he missed last Saturday night's Round 9 clash with the Eagles due to knee soreness), 'Staf' has averaged nearly 15 possessions per game, more than six marks per game, over 17 hit-outs and, just for good measure, has slotted through 12 goals.

Given the fact that he kicked 26 goals in 16 games (including 18 in the last eight rounds) during his debut season at Tigerland last year and produced several eye-catching performances, it's no wonder he's captured the imagination of the Yellow and Black faithful.

Legendary Richmond rover and now Player Development Manager (as well as match-day runner) with the Tigers, Dale Weightman, said Stafford was the "complete package" in terms of his value to the Club.

"You can tell that people around the place are drawn to him because he speaks very intelligently and he can have a bit of fun, too," Weightman said.

"He's one of those blokes who gets instant respect and he's really brought a lot to the Club, both on and off the field.

"As far as the on-field stuff is concerned, 'Staf' is a very good footballer. People tend to forget how good a player he was in Sydney until he copped a couple of knee injuries and so forth.

"He's got excellent skills for a big bloke . . . he's one of those players who just knows how to get where the ball is and he can mark around the ground, which is a bonus.

"Late last season, when Richo was on fire and kicked a stack of goals, a lot of that was due to the way Staf organised the forward line. He played a fair bit forward then because 'Otto' (Brad Ottens) was in the ruck and he helped Richo out by blocking opponents for him and tapping the ball to him.

"He's very tough and hard at it, so, overall, it's not hard to see why Richmond supporters would rate him that highly."

Weightman said Stafford's leadership qualities extended well beyond the playing field.

"I got to know the bloke a bit when he first arrived at the Club from Sydney and I spent a few days with him looking at houses. He liked Sydney as a city because it was away from the football limelight and he could just get lost, which suited him because the game wasn't the be-all and end-all for him.

"But I told him that would change in Melbourne -- particularly at a club like Richmond -- because footy's full-on here.

"Well, about a year and a half later, the change in Staf's attitude towards the game has been quite remarkable. He's really embraced the whole scene and become a fine leader at the Club.

"We've got two groups of players that look after the Club's two chosen charities -- the Lighthouse Foundation and Very Special Kids. Staf took over as chairman of the Very Special Kids group (comprising G. Stafford, A. Kellaway, M. Chaffey, R. Vardy, C. Newman, D. Rodan and M. McGrath) and he's done a fantastic job in organising them so that they help raise money and awareness for what is an extremely worthwhile charity."

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
How dare they not mention me, Staf's president? After all I've done for him this year...