Suggestions to solve a verrrrrry slow computer problem | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Suggestions to solve a verrrrrry slow computer problem

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
My computer has the go slows.  It is taking ages to open pages and the bytes received thing doesn't move for minutes sometimes.

I've defragged and done the maintenance things twice.  The virus scan is clear.  Have emptied off-line files and cleared cookies.
I've used Easy Clean and System Wiper.

The C drive is approx 10GB used space 27GB used.

Any suggestions of anything else to try to speed things up again please?

Do modems slow down if they are conking out?

Hi Rosy,
Firstly try uninstalling any programs on your computer that you no longer use. Then install a free program(you can get this of the net, just doing a search on google) called Spybot Search and Destroy, this will check your computer for spyware and delete it. I know that you might have tried the other programs but I have found this one to be the best.
Cya, Jake.

Try spyware doctor if you can find a free version on the net. Just wondering have you used up your alloted downloads for the month, but only if yours slows down once you have reached your quota.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have used adaware and spybot and there's no spyware on my computer.

I only have dial up so it's not superfast at the best of times although PRE has always been pretty instant.

I have unlimited downloads and time so it shouldn't be that.

Somebody suggested contacting the interent provider. I'm amazed it didn't even occur to me to do that. That's how reliant I've become on PRE for any help I need. I'll ring them tomorrow.

Rosy, ask your ISP about a modem initialisation string (just a typed piece of text in the modem setting's), what is basically does is it slow's down the dial-up speed therefore making the download speed a lot better (less packet loss) and also making the connection a lot more stable. You can do this easily this over the phone with your ISP helping you. Good-luck.

What Operating system do you run Rosy?

The service pack 2 for XP makes it run like a dog

We backup and reinstall windows regularly and all the machines fly

Jake said:
Rosy, ask your ISP about a modem initialisation string (just a typed piece of text in the modem setting's), 

Thanks for the replies everybody. :)

I took your suggestion Jake and had to type in some a+c=syz  kind of thing.  It didn't help really although I remember doing this with a previous computer and it worked wonders.  Stopped it dropping out all the time too.

The ip suggested I uninstall the modem and reinstall it.  I couldn't find how to uninstall it.  All I could see is the remove option in Modems.

It says standard modem now which is strange.  The isp's ssaid that is usually for an internal modem but my computer only has an external one.

I'll try and find a way uninstall and reinstall again.