Swearing on PRE | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Swearing on PRE

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I had some (minor) issues with the way Rosy ran this site but one thing I thought she excelled at was keeping it "family friendly" in the way that swearing was simply not tolerated. Do I sense a relaxation of that policy and is it intentional or are things just slipping through the cracks?
Don't get me wrong, I am not a prude, far from it, and the swearing doesn't offend me in the slightest.
But I had gotten used to the cleanliness of PRE (for want of a better word) and found it comforting.
If the odd profanity is just something that I have to get used to here, I am fine with that. Just like to know where I stand (and if I can do it myself :) ).

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is an interesting one given how much us Aussies swear.

It is a bit different when written down but I just reckon everyone in Australia, even in isolation, would hear a lot of swearing just about every day.

DS

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I know when I swear in my posts (occasionally) the it's auto-censored. Are there swear words that slip through? I'll keep my eye out! I agree though that while I certainly dont care, it's better to meet the lowest common denominator of sensibilities or close to it, rather than alienate otherwise welcome members to the forum.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I had some (minor) issues with the way Rosy ran this site but one thing I thought she excelled at was keeping it "family friendly" in the way that swearing was simply not tolerated. Do I sense a relaxation of that policy and is it intentional or are things just slipping through the cracks?
Don't get me wrong, I am not a prude, far from it, and the swearing doesn't offend me in the slightest.
But I had gotten used to the cleanliness of PRE (for want of a better word) and found it comforting.
If the odd profanity is just something that I have to get used to here, I am fine with that. Just like to know where I stand (and if I can do it myself :) ).

fair enough comment.

but FWIW, I reckon the mods are like the bouncers used to be at The Esplanade Hotel in St.Kilda.

that is, seen, but not heard (or felt). I think they do an exceptional job. Plus, with the ignore function, its so easy to not hear an abusive poster any more.

Ive often wondered over the years how many kids read this site?

Mr.T, could you give us some stats on age profile of registered users out of interest.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
swearing was simply not tolerated. Do I sense a relaxation of that policy and is it intentional or are things just slipping through the cracks?

Do you mean more instances where the swear filter gets a work out, like "Scott is a little *smile*" or where the swear filter is brassed, like "Scott is a little sh1t"

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
nah i reckon we should be going the other way and relax the strict swearing rules. its not as if kids aren't exposed to that nowadays. and at the end of the day, they're just a bunch of letters put together like any other word. And PRE is an opinionated forum afterall. but more importantly, we don't want PRE to be an autocratic, strictly regulated flogfest like RTSG and RTSSG on Facey.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Perhaps one word was cleverly slipped through that is generally thought of as pretty unacceptable yesterday. On the whole it's difficult to know exactly which adjective is being used.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I personally find it more offensive when posters resort to abusing others they disagree with (calling them morons, telling them to f off, that sort of thing) than someone (as I sometimes do) dodging the swear filter in order to make oneself clear.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I personally find it more offensive when posters resort to abusing others they disagree with (calling them morons, telling them to f off, that sort of thing) than someone (as I sometimes do) dodging the swear filter in order to make oneself clear.

exactly. personal attacks are wrong. calling someone a f-wit is wrong and should be outlawed and/or result in a ban. saying f-oath in agreeance with someone’s opinion should be considered fine.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
The word was bs in all its eight-letter glory. The original instance is now changed to bull**** but it is quoted and in one of the quotes the full word is still there.
It's in the Coronavirus thread - just about the only one I read these days!
Again, it doesn't really bother me. I live in a non-English speaking country and when speaking English I swear alot - probably more than I would do if I lived in Australia.
I just wanted to know if it's become more acceptable on here.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I dont really mind unregulated,

but to be honest, aggressive, adversarial acronyms, like GAGF, not said with obvious jest, irritate me.

If someone in a pub says GAGF to me, without a big smile on their face, and they were under 6ft 4 and/or under 100kg, I would generally remove my glasses and fold them on the bar,

and if I was wearing thongs, I'd remove them too.

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I dont really mind unregulated,

but to be honest, aggressive, adversarial acronyms, like GAGF, not said with obvious jest, irritate me.

If someone in a pub says GAGF to me, without a big smile on their face, and they were under 6ft 4 and/or under 100kg, I would generally remove my glasses and fold them on the bar,

and if I was wearing thongs, I'd remove them too.
remove your thong? I think you are interpreting GAGF the wrong way.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
fair enough comment.

but FWIW, I reckon the mods are like the bouncers used to be at The Esplanade Hotel in St.Kilda.

that is, seen, but not heard (or felt). I think they do an exceptional job. Plus, with the ignore function, its so easy to not hear an abusive poster any more.

Mr.T, could you give us some stats on age profile of registered users out of interest.

I'll have a look... I've been struggling a little in iso with juggling kids home school and trying to get what work I have left done... I'll check if I can get any profile info from the system.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks, yes I found it but must have missed the quote.

Obviously the swear filter is struggling with the prefix, @Mr T?
Thanks for picking up the slack :)

Some words will get through and the filter may need a refresh. PM me any words that you are seeing that are getting through and I'll add them.

I'm ok with the language in general, but avoiding personal attacks is something I've been umpiring earlier this year and it is no fun.

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
fair enough comment.

Hi eZyT,

I've looked at getting some data from the system but not much luck... I could get more out of it if members filled in their profiles, ie gender/age etc. I'll keep looking to better this part of the backend functions... though... while planning to offer advertising on the site I registered to a service that monitors visits and the data is very interesting.

Here are some screenshots... not sure how accurate but it is in an insight nevertheless... this info would be used in conjunction with other analytics that I have to best offer advertising or monitor which marketing efforts are working.

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 6.35.44 am.pngScreenshot 2020-05-07 at 6.35.58 am.png