TAC Cup Game: Calder v Sandringham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TAC Cup Game: Calder v Sandringham

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Went to the TAC Cup Calder Canons v Sandringham Dragons game on Saturday. Coburg’s City Oval. Beautiful day. Enjoyed the game thoroughly. Sandringham had 6 players in the Vic Metro U/18 and Calder had 5 so I thought I’d go along and have a look.

Calder killed Sandringham. The game was of a reasonable standard but strangely enough, there wasn’t really anything or anybody to write home about.

If we are looking for a tall mobile kpp player in this year’s National Draft, then Sam Robertson of Calder was probably the best I saw out there. Didn’t dominate the game, but showed that he is a great mover at 193cm. Left footer with very good skill level and a solid overhead mark. Very good balance and poise. Needs to work on his endurance. Ran out of legs on a few occasions. Played CHB.

Richard Douglas (Calder) was a disappointment. He got in the best players whilst hanging back and doing a lot of the easy work. Has little defensive side to his game. Very slight (180cm). Well balanced and beautiful kick of the football though, I have to say. He’s the sort of player you have to be wary about as far as recruiting. Exceptional skills, runs well, but is slight and doesn’t work hard enough in tight.

The other Calder reps – Bowes, Gordon and White all had reasonably good games. Bowes works very hard, has a good turn of speed and is good with his hands. But all three are very small ranging from 177cm to 179cm. I’d look elsewhere for on-ballers at this stage.

Of the others, Jarryd Allen (Calder) is a handy type. 191cm. Booming kick. Not bad overhead. Played CHF and a spell in the ruck. Competes ok.

Lachlan Baddeley (Calder) took a lot of grabs across half forward but is a unco kick and has no footy brain at all. Robert Hyde got frustrated with him quite often.

Of Sandy reps, Scott Lockwood did not play and neither did Jake Muir. Their best rep. player was Matthew Thomas. An on-baller at 184cm he goes hard at it. Not a lot of penetration in his kicking, but reasonable passer never the less. Got a bit tired towards the end of the game and made a few mistakes, but he goes ok.

Shane Valenti is way too small. Disappointing game too.

Simon ‘Flip’ Phillips had a good game. Lot of possessions, works hard. But at 172cm, his height is gonna be against him.

Robert Warnock is interesting. A 204 cm beanpole he covers the ground quite well and takes a good overhead mark when there isn’t too much competition. Whenever anyone else is in the air with him though, his light frame isn’t capable of standing up under the pressure at this stage of his development. He waned towards the end of the game, but he showed that if he fills out, he has some upside.

On the whole, there wasn’t too much to get excited about. The game was interesting to watch, but many of the better players on the day were midgets who will struggle to be picked by an AFL team.

And…..it was good to see Greg Beck turn up. Even if it was half way through the game. Even Slug Jordan was there, hobbling around having a bit of a look.

(Note: Wayne Johnston is helping out Sandringham. He is one strange fella that guy.)

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Nice one Redders.

Yeh, I saw Slug Jordan at quite a few matches last season. I've usually seen him at the ones north of the Yarra. Wayne Johnston helps Sandy because his son Tommi plays there. Also Emmett Dunne usually helps out at Sandy also.

PS You were lucky to see Becky there. I never saw him last year when he had a job.
Actually I've heard he's with Collingwood now.

Has Robertson filled out? He was far too skinny last season.

I must admit, Saturday was a beautiful day to be sitting in one of those foldaway chairs watching park football.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Phantom said:
Nice one Redders.

Yeh, I saw Slug Jordan at quite a few matches last season. I've usually seen him at the ones north of the Yarra. Wayne Johnston helps Sandy because his son Tommi plays there. Also Emmett Dunne usually helps out at Sandy also.

PS You were lucky to see Becky there. I never saw him last year when he had a job.
Actually I've heard he's with Collingwood now.

Has Robertson filled out? He was far too skinny last season.

I must admit, Saturday was a beautiful day to be sitting in one of those foldaway chairs watching park football.

Sorry, must apologise. In my haste to type this post up I put in "Greg Beck" instead of Greg MILLER.

Ah, the Tomi Johnston thing. I see. He did a couple of nice things. Good mover like his dad. Kicked 2 nice goals. Well skilled. Unfortunately, at 174cm he's gonna struggle to get picked up I'd think.

Robertson is still on the skinny side. But looking at his shoulders, I think I can see some physical development beginning to occur. Might take a couple of years, but he has it in him.

Ah, park football. Honestly, the bureaucrats at the AFL would do well to get out there a bit more often and see how the game should be played and umpired. One thing I'm certain of: TAC Cup football is much more enjoyable to watch than the crap that the VFL serves up....that's for sure.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Redford said:
Ah, the Tomi Johnston thing. I see. He did a couple of nice things. Good mover like his dad. Kicked 2 nice goals. Well skilled. Unfortunately, at 174cm he's gonna struggle to get picked up I'd think.

agreed

Ah, park football. Honestly, the bureaucrats at the AFL would do well to get out there a bit more often and see how the game should be played and umpired. One thing I'm certain of: TAC Cup football is much more enjoyable to watch than the crap that the VFL serves up....that's for sure.

agreed

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Return of Cynicism said:
Redford, did you see a player called Gazzo for Calder.

Little fella. He kicked a nice goal at the grand stand end, but otherwise I didn't really notice him - even though I see he got in their best.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Who is the Caruso that kicked 5 for Calder??
I assume he would be related to Nat who is still at Coburg I think?

Also, just flicking through the results and saw that West kicked 13 goals for Queensland V Oakleigh. Do we know anything about him??

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Sorry, just read the other thread about West. Terrible news about his knee. Mills sounds exciting though.

I should read all the topics before I post. :-[

interested

Tiger Superstar
Tomi is in the younger age bracket of the U/18's, and will play again next year. Give him a year and he will be 180 or more, as he is putting on height all the time, as he is weight.
He is very very well skilled, with great kicking on both sides, ability around the pack (not in them, I assure you), and his marking is also very good.
Give him 18 months, and I think Carlton will very much look towards pikcing him up..
BTW, whats so strange about Wayne?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
interested said:
Tomi is in the younger age bracket of the U/18's, and will play again next year. Give him a  year and he will be 180 or more, as he is putting on height all the time, as he is weight.
He is very very well skilled, with great kicking on both sides, ability around the pack (not in them, I assure you), and his marking is also very good.
Give him 18 months, and I think Carlton will very much look towards pikcing him up..

I dont think Carlton will consider drafting him till next year anyway, and I wouldnt think Carlton would use a 2nd round draft pick unless young Tomi developed further. But OTOH, Carlton have had a long history of father/son recruiting. Walls, Silvagni, Waite, Whitnall just to name 4.

interested

Tiger Superstar
Phantom said:
interested said:
Tomi is in the younger age bracket of the U/18's, and will play again next year. Give him a  year and he will be 180 or more, as he is putting on height all the time, as he is weight.

I dont think Carlton will consider drafting him till next year anyway, and I wouldnt think Carlton would use a 2nd round draft pick unless young Tomi developed further. But OTOH, Carlton have had a long history of father/son recruiting. Walls, Silvagni, Waite, Whitnall just to name 4.
To be in the best almost every week in the Dragons side means he is showing something. any 16-17 year old will put on a fair bit of height/muscle in the next 18 months; he will fill out more than anything.
I just think he is a ripping chance, in next years draft, to be picked up.