TAC Cup V APS School footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TAC Cup V APS School footy

go polo

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 28, 2005
What is everyone opinion that school footy overrides TAC Cup. I am a firm believer if you are in the best side at your TAC cup side you should play there as this to me is a better grounding than school footy.

I spoke with an assistant coach who didn't like comments made by Paul Roos about they need to develop these kids for AFL, however how can they when they only have them for 6 games.

There are a lot of players who would benefit with 18 games of TAC Cup.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
jb03 said:
Agree polo. The requirement/pressure for kids to play school footy is OTT.

That's the way it is at those schools. The ACC schools (Catholic) are similar. They are over subscribed schools and part of being offered a place means that you put the school's requirements ahead of anything else.

Right or wrong that's how it is.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
jb03 said:

The kids could always go into the public system if they don't like it. If you want those schools, you have to adhere to their requirements

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
TAC rules only allow a player to play 1 game per week! ! So the player school parents n TAC talent manager all want the player to play for them ! The pressure is unfair! TAC override school footy but that not how the players n school see it

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
jb03 said:

That’s not how the schools would see it if they’re providing scholarships to talented kids and employing the likes of Matthew Lloyd (a la Haileybury).

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
jb03 said:

I remember a long time ago a private school was going to expel a kid in Year 12 because he wouldn't play for the school. He was already playing seniors for essendon I think, and they didn't want him playing during the week.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
shad said:
I remember a long time ago a private school was going to expel a kid in Year 12 because he wouldn't play for the school. He was already playing seniors for essendon I think, and they didn't want him playing during the week.

When Dustin Fletcher first started at Essendon in 1993 or thereabouts he was still in school at Essendon Grammar or somewhere like that. I distinctly recall him missing an Essendon game because he had to play for the school at the same time.

Shers

Tiger Superstar
Nov 30, 2005
Melbourne
Ridley said:
When Dustin Fletcher first started at Essendon in 1993 or thereabouts he was still in school at Essendon Grammar or somewhere like that. I distinctly recall him missing an Essendon game because he had to play for the school at the same time.
You're right Ridley. Dustin played for PEGS (Penleigh and Essendon Grammar) where Cotch also had a scholarship. But the game he missed Essendon for was the school GF, and from memory it didn't stop Dustin play finals for Essendon that year.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
St Kevin said:
That’s not how the schools would see it if they’re providing scholarships to talented kids and employing the likes of Matthew Lloyd (a la Haileybury).

Waste of money. School is for learning. Footy clubs are for footy.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
jb03 said:
Waste of money. School is for learning. Footy clubs are for footy.

Yeh, considering how few kids will end up making a career/living out of it from these schools.

pokey

Coffee never tasted so good
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
betterlifecoachingblog.com
If I remember correctly, Josh Caddy was advised by Denis Pagan to change schools so that there wasn't as much pressure from the school and he could focus on his TAC footy.

Seems like that worked out OK.

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
I noticed that school footy is now rated higher by recruiters than the nab league

U18 national champs still rated higher

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
A bit of first hand knowledge on this.

The APS football program at most APS schools is run like a NAB league program. The school I am involved with has a very experienced junior coach who is still involved at NAB League and Vic Metro. He is supported by 2 assistants and a S&C coach who has bought in GPS trackers for the the top players. The whole program is run by an ex AFL legend who is the most passionate advocate of school football and has created the most amazing culture that most clubs could only dream of.

My school has 2 aims - win the APS shield and get kids in a position to go to their highest level - AFL, VFL etc..

Once the school footy season starts, all the NAB kids go play for school making the school games as good if not better than the NAB games as they are drawing on lower quality kids to fill the breach, kids who are unlikely to get drafted.

I was at 5 APS games this year and at each one there was a minimum of 10 recruiters there and one of them told me he ranks school over NAB.

My school had 15 kids on NAB lists.

Now the school and the NAB League teams are in regular communication so while there may be a bit of us and them, for the most part they work pretty well together.

I have second hand info from a friend on the AGS system and it is fairly similar. The ACC (Catholic) system which has St Bedes, De La Salle, Parade etc..is starting to catch up.

The state school system has nothing thus they are totally reliant on the NAB program.

So, don't be down on the APS / AGS / ACC programs. They do an amazing job and the kids who are in them absolutely love them.

Also, from Jake Niall's article last week, there is still this bias about it being rich kids footy who are all soft compared to the hard dudes from local high schools. This is complete crap. The standard of footy is huge and is as ferocious as any suburban league I have ever seen.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I once heard a recruiter froman AFL club state something along the lines of '95% of the best Aussie Rules players never get the chance to be seen or an any where near being drafted. Due to a lack of want (lazy kids with talent) or because they don't have the pathways to succeed, be it because they don't get a scholarship or have parents who can't get them into programs etc. So we are choosing from 5-7% of the actual available top talent pool'.

^ A recruiters words not mine. Interesting though and true from my experience. This was 10 years ago though so maybe a little has changed. Or, maybe it has gotten worse.
In the old days of zone recruiting these guys got missed a bit less

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I once heard a recruiter froman AFL club state something along the lines of '95% of the best Aussie Rules players never get the chance to be seen or an any where near being drafted. Due to a lack of want (lazy kids with talent) or because they don't have the pathways to succeed, be it because they don't get a scholarship or have parents who can't get them into programs etc. So we are choosing from 5-7% of the actual available top talent pool'.

^ A recruiters words not mine. Interesting though and true from my experience. This was 10 years ago though so maybe a little has changed. Or, maybe it has gotten worse.
In the old days of zone recruiting these guys got missed a bit less

This would be kind of true to a point. Have a family friend whose son is on the cusp and have no doubt that because he is totally reliant on NAB system (goes to local high school) he doesn't get the recognition he deserves and has to fight like crazy to get anything.

However I would challenge the 95% thing. In any sport there are heaps of kids who probably have the raw talent but that is only a 1/3 of what's required. And getting a scholarship doesn't change that.