Tail of a Tiger | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tail of a Tiger

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Firstly apologies to anyone they may find this uninteresting, but it's something I have to get off my chest. It has been too many years of frustration and anger.

The tale (tail) of a Tiger supporter since our last success.

1980 dawned and the mighty Tiges started to win some games. Me being the ultimate pessimist decided that I dare not go to a game for fear of causing the Tiges to lose, because every time the previous year that I went to a game we lost. So 1980 rolled along and we kept winning. Well I never went to one game that year. Bloody stupid in hindsight seeing as though we haven't even looked like being that dominant since. I was about 16 at the time and I watched the GF at my mates place where there were 4 of us Tiger supporters and 2 scummy Essendon supporters that were going for the Pies. Well as you all know we killed the Black and White filth. I was still nervous that we could lose halfway through the last quarter even though we were up by about 60 points by that stage. (correct me if I'm wrong, my memory is fading). What a sweet feeling!!! Full on unadultered gloating with no fear of reprisals.

The years after rolled on with '82 being a massive disappointment as that bloody female streaker (whilst nice for the optic nerves) ruined the Tiger's momentum and ultimately lost us the game. Carlton ploy definitely. Well then the gloomy dark dim years that seemed to persiste forever. Sacked coach after sacked coach. Every year I looked forward to Rd 1 with great anticipation to see if the Mighty tiges would once again be that all-conquering force. Every year pretty much after that Rd. 1 match I was shattered. Knowing that we would be forced to suffer for another long dark Winter of pain. Absolutely no joy watching the once great Tigers being belted week after week by the likes of the Essendon and the Hawks. Bloody hell we always gave Essendon a good belting, how was this so that we were so insipid.

Each one of these years all I wanted to see was hope for the future, some light at the end of the tunnel. I still vividly remember going to a Friday night game against North in '87 where I think we won and I lost my voice. North were down the nether regions of the ladder with us and were building a team. We were supposed to be doing the same. History shows that they did build an a team and an era. The RFC, nothing but more pain and then the cap in hand era.

Well eventually the club admitted to itself that it needed to back some youth and try and build a team. KB was on board and slowly we started to seem to show some promise. Yep still down the bottom, but seeing some younger players with some promise. They gave him the flick which really was the old Richmond way, but they burned another one of their out and out Tiger sons. Somewhere after that, we were lucky to benefit from the impending demise of the Roy Boys and picked up good gets like Brodders, the Gales and Scotty Turner. Then along came Richo, Cambell, Knighter, Daffy, Maxfield who never got a go. I remember one game at the 'G' where we beat somebody of some importance at the time and you could see that the Tiges had done something special. Butchy Gale was injured at the time and was on the bench. He was shaking from the adrenalin after the game. You could feel the excitement and promise in the air. This was the Northey era if I'm correct. I thought here we go. The Tigers are back, we have a new era. Well we got to the prelim and got outclassed. Yeah we lost a few good players along the way that season, but deep down I knew we would not go all the way. The boys were playing on emotion week in week out. However I thought okay lets build on that season and the skill level and belief will grow, maybe the next year or the year after we can take the big one. Richmond shot itself in the foot and head and got rid of Northey. Today I still ask myself, why?? He left Melbourne because he wanted to coach the Tigers. Not for money or because it was a career, but because he wanted us to build the club again.

Sorry to remind you all but we went South again. Then we hung around mid-table and teased the supporters every year by just missing the eight. Eventually 2001 came along and we tended to play the same as '95. In between these years. After Northey came Walls which I also think was a Carlton ploy to destroy the Tigers. Absolutely convinced of it!! He almost did a good job and as it shows in the media he has no affection for the RFC.

From 2001 we should have been able to build on this so-called era and force. The Tiger Army is bloody restless and hungry. '02 is another disappointing year and I think it really burned a lot of the Tiger faithful. There are only so many times that you can have your heart ripped out, spat on, kicked and then not have the spirit to pad up again.

Yeah we are going okay at the moment, but last Saturday night reminded me that I do not have that unwavering faith in the club. The belief the arrogance that feels so nice. You just have to look at the Bummers and they still have it. They are the RFC's anti-christ. When they were mid-table crap we reigned. Then in the early to mid 80's it changed and the tables were turned. They are now the arrogant team and we are the pretenders. Admittedly they are not the force this year or last, but they still have that belief and arrogance. They can still win the big games at times.

Where are the Tigers? Still hoping to play with the big boys. Let us oh Tiger boys believe in thy self. Bring back the mongrel belief in thy self. Believe that every game is thoust last game and go forth and slaughter. Do not relax for the smallest of moments even if thoust are 60 points up at 3/4 time. To be great one must never stop never ever give up.

Whilst some supporteres have given the Tigers a rest, I can't. This is Richmonds most important time. We have to build another era otherwise we will lapse into another dark, dark hell, that I refuse to allow the Tigers to go into. We are better than that and we are better than last Saturday night's performance. Yes we are no Brisbane, but let's build on the start to the season that we've had and try and have a solid season. Let's win some tough hard games and against the better sides. The games that no-one thinks we can win. Then the belief will come. People can do anything if they really want it. Do the current crop of players really want it?? I don't know, only they can answer that. Graeme Richmond used to get into the heads of each and every player before the coming game and tell them that if they didn't beat their opponent then the RFC would lose. He made them believe that the whole team and the game depended on them and them only. They went out and played like possessed souls and guess what, we won.

Off-field the club has to recognise that it has been negligent with finding and building new exciting talent. If other clubs can do it,the Tiges can as well. It has been too long as cellar dwellers and mid-table nobodies. The Tigers can't afford to allow itself to become the nobodies of the AFL like the Dogs and Saints. Sustained success and eventually Premierships only come after professionalism, hard work and support on all fronts.

Carn the Tiges don't break my heart again.

Eat Em Alive!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Wow TT, that is an awesome post. Captures the hurt and pain most of us feel.
The need to believe coupled with the knowledge that it can all go arse up so quickly.
The time has come, it's been too long.
The club has to lift itself out of the mire and be a force again.
If for no other reason than to pay back the loyal fans who are always there supporting them though the all years of mediocrity.
Go Tiges.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Tenacious Tiges said:
… it's something I have to get off my chest. It has been too many years of frustration and anger.

And this is just the place to do it.

Bless your Tiger heart Tenacious.

In previous years I would have been concerned with which way we would go now. But, for the first time, I believe we really are on the right track. It may not happen this year or next, but we'll get there.

One thing I know about Richmond supporters Tenacious, no matter how many times we have our hearts broken and spirits dented, we always find some hope, somewhere. And, the other thing about our supporters is that we won't let our Club rest until we're back to being the best.

Never, ever lose hope and never ever lose faith. As long as we have that, we're a long way to getting there.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Lets hope Miller can impersonate Graeme Richmond and be ruthless with players and all staff involved. Our problem has been that we've had too many nice guys running our club and the players have been allowed to get away with mediocre performances all too often.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
TT no need for apologises.

I have seen great times - 1980 as a 13 y.o. thrashing the Pies by a then record margin. I cried in 1982 because I had never experienced loosing a GF. Then I creid some more when players I idealised walked out - Raines, Cloke, Wood.

Then there were those lean years you speak of- the late 80's and early 90's. I didn't shed any tears because I was too busy worrying about how I could help save my Club. But when KB was sacked I cried again

Fast forward to 2000 and for me the heartbreak was at its cruelest. I didn't go into 2000 thinking we would get close to the 8. Then I got swept up in the emotion of the run we had and then the gut wrenching feeling that year of missing out on the finals. I promised myself I wouldn't get that caught up in it again. In 2001 when we had 10 wins and everyone was talking finals I couldn't. We had to hit that magic number. For me it was 13, once we had that I knew we were there and how bloody sweet it was.

2002 - heartbreak was replaced by anger and I thought about walking away but I didn't because I couldn't and I wont.

During my week at the Club Greg Miller asked me why I thought so many peole hadn't sigend up. I said one reason was because people are sick or broken promises and heartbreak. The Club needs to win back or respect I said. Greg Miller said they know and that's what they are setting about doing.

MC24 you are so right. It may not be this year or even next but it will happen and I for one will be there as will most people from this site.

We have all felt the heartbreak over the years. I get reminded by my Mum that my late father was always telling me when I was about 6, that when you find a team and they make you cry - you'll follow them with a passion for your entire life. And he knew about tears being a Collingwood man. Most of all he was right.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Did ya tell Greg to wonder over to this site KL?

What about poor young TG? Spare a thought for her, she wasn't even alive when we last won a premiership :(

Makes me glad that I don't follow St.Kilda Sydney or the Doggies!! ;D Atleast they won one while I was alive and a few in the past 30 years pity only the first ten of those years got results.

P

PuntRoadRoar

interesting post guys,

i was 5 when we won in 1980, so my memory is basically non - exsistant on that matter, although i do know KB ripped the pies apart and i only got to see this game on video.

but 82 i do remember, i remember having a 20 cent bet with my uncle (blues supporter) and we lost, i cried he felt bad and gave me his 20 cents.

then my family moved to sydney (dad was in the navy) and it was a time when sydney were hot, my tigers year after year never looked the part, 89 i cried when i heard the RFC may no longer be around SOS kept our tiger hearts beating.

and the 90's saw us slowly improve but still i never thought we were as good as hawthorn, WestCoast, bombers etc.

95, is my real first year i ever tasted success at our club it was a special year but 2 teams dominated that year in carlton and geelong, we were just out of our league, matty knights was my hero that year.

then disappointed again and again, as we all felt but being older and wiser i signed up as a member since 94 because no matter the disappointment i will always be a tiger.

2001 what a year, living in perth eagles/dockers looking like crap and my beloved tigers playing like champions, unfortunately the bombers & lions were the 2 dominating teams that season.

this year we sit 6-4 , no need 2 panic but its definately crunch time at tigerland, may our season be one 2 remember

Eat em alive tigers !!!!!!!!!

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Fantastic post TT. So passionate and honest.

PuntRoadRoar said:
but 82 i do remember, i remember having a 20 cent bet with my uncle (blues supporter) and we lost, i cried he felt bad and gave me his 20 cents.

PRR, I also had a 20 cent bet but with a friend at primary school who barracked for Carlton. Thought I mozzed the Tiges afterwards :(. Losing a GF is the worse feeling in footy especially when you go into the match as favourites (well as a kid it felt awful). Can't imagine what the players go through after doing all that hard training and work to get there in the first place. Always wonder if things would have been different if we had won that day. Oh well all in the past. As others have said we look like we have got our act together finally and the club is heading in the right direction.

C'arn the Tigers! :)

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I take losing a regular season match really badly, i cant imagine the pure and utter devastation i would feel should we lose another grand final.

I became a tiger supporter at 6 years of age because of teh 82 grand final. My oldman is a Carlton supporter and he was cheering for them so i thought id go for the Tigers and i did and have never looked back. One day we'l l get the holy grail.
During a cricket game this year when we had 0 wins and 4 losses my richmond supporter mate Riddler said to me "Shawry, if you take a wicket this ball we'll win the flag this year adn so will Richmond." I took a wicket with teh very next ball and we went on to win the cricket premiership. I am hjoping it is an omen.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
shawry said:
During a cricket game this year when we had 0 wins and 4 losses my richmond supporter mate Riddler said to me "Shawry, if you take a wicket this ball we'll win the flag this year adn so will Richmond." I took a wicket with teh very next ball and we went on to win the cricket premiership. I am hjoping it is an omen.

Shawry,

*smile* I hope you are right and it is a good omen.

You need some success from the Tiges living in Adelaide. I suffered there (football supporting wise) through the 90's and *smile* I hate the Crows and their moronic supporters. It was hard copping crap every week from the chardonnay set over there. I still displayed my Tiger Team Photo at my workstation even though we were getting pumped most weeks.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Tenacious: Yeah i hear ya buddy. It aint easy, but i am usually pretty witty with my responses and get out of the situations well. Last year was tough though, theres one Port *smile* here at work who is as relentless as me in arguing, doesnt help his team is doing well. Crows people i can handle they are all soft as butter.

I am hoping it is an omen, i've had one dream come true i never thought would eventuate coz of that conversation, hopefully that other unfulfilled dream will come true.

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Tigerdog said:
What about poor young TG? Spare a thought for her, she wasn't even alive when we last won a premiership
The first ever richmond related thing I went to was the save our skins when I was 5, so I've been around for the lows (not that I remember much ha) just waiting for a premiership.... or two.... or three.....

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I was just looking through the baord for an earlier post on the board and came across this post.

Thought it might be worth bringing to the top again for newbie PREnders to read.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
TigersGoddess said:
Tigerdog said:
What about poor young TG? Spare a thought for her, she wasn't even alive when we last won a premiership
The first ever richmond related thing I went to was the save our skins when I was 5, so I've been around for the lows (not that I remember much ha) just waiting for a premiership.... or two.... or three.....
Probably something I will be blamed and never forgiven for ;D. ;D
Fortunately for me I jumped on the Tgers early 67 and managed to get a few under the belt early to help see me through the dark ages.