Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Heh heh heh…Steve “Super” McPherson. He frightened the living daylights out of them that day. Scary man in all reality. Another from the Clarence football factory.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Neither was Tasmania full strength. Several clubs refused to release players. Melbourne and Essendon among them. So Tassie was without the Febeys and Lovett from Melbourne and a few others. Definitely not the strongest side TAS could have put on the paddock.
Come on, Pantsman. The Febeys? Here's a selection of who Victoria was "missing" (the team that played WA):

B: Collins Frawley Morwood
HB: O'Donnell Silvagni McGuane
C: Rice Shaw Ablett
HF: Watson Loewe Brereton
F: Daicos Salmon B.Mitchell
R: Madden Anderson Weightman
I: Bruns Couch Dean Ezard Harvey Hocking Stoneham

A few others missing, like Lockett, G.Lyon, Healy, Williams, the other Harvey, the other Madden, Millane, Gavin Brown...etc...etc...

Obviously Victoria has a much bigger population, full credit to Tassie with the population of Geelong beating such luminaries as whoever the *smile* M.Gallagher and S.Wright were. ;)

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Could you make a Tassie team from AFL players today? Besides Jack I'm struggling for names.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Obviously Victoria has a much bigger population, full credit to Tassie with the population of Geelong beating such luminaries as whoever the *smile* M.Gallagher and S.Wright were. ;)
You'd remember Stevie Wright the South Melbourne/Sydney rover?

Reactions: 1 user

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Come on, Pantsman. The Febeys? Here's a selection of who Victoria was "missing" (the team that played WA):

B: Collins Frawley Morwood
HB: O'Donnell Silvagni McGuane
C: Rice Shaw Ablett
HF: Watson Loewe Brereton
F: Daicos Salmon B.Mitchell
R: Madden Anderson Weightman
I: Bruns Couch Dean Ezard Harvey Hocking Stoneham

A few others missing, like Lockett, G.Lyon, Healy, Williams, the other Harvey, the other Madden, Millane, Gavin Brown...etc...etc...

Obviously Victoria has a much bigger population, full credit to Tassie with the population of Geelong beating such luminaries as whoever the *smile* M.Gallagher and S.Wright were.
Agree Spook. And to be fair in them, let’s not forget VICs were also missing (Tasmanians) Graham Wright and Darren Pritchard who had previously played for them. As well as Queenslander Jason Dunstall from some of the all time best “Victorian” sides put on the paddock.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Agree. In hindsight KGV or the Showgrounds in particular would have had greater capacity for genuine and sustainable development. Bigger footprint to work with. I remember when both were being thrown around as development possibilities there was a fair bit of socio economic discrimination. Nobody wanted to develop anything in Glenorchy. Bellerive had the river views, beach, quaintness.

Speaking of rail lines, by jingoes how important does a Launceston to Hobart high speed express train service look now ? They’ve been talking about that for 50 plus years.

If you could travel from Launceston to Hobart by train in an hour, Tasmania would have had a team 20 years ago.
Similar reasons why we got the a rehashed Royal Hobart Hospital in the CBD (with the multitude of difficulties redeveloping that shithole) rather than a greenfield site.

The Doctor’s lobby winged that they would have to travel too far outside their comfy little bubble of wealthy Sandy Bay and Battery Point, into the badlands. I’m sure they would have got cold, anxious sweats as the crossed Creek Road, heading north of the flanalette curtain.

Dowsing Point (next to the Bowen Bridge) had long been a parcel of land put aside for a future new Royal Hobart Hospital. The Showgrounds was also very seriously studied.

Below is the only link I can find to the proposed Showgrounds Stadium. From memory, the designs were largely adaptable to the KGV site too, if the TFL didn’t manage to secure a deal with the Royal Agricultural show society. And as I say, 15 years prior in the early 1980s, the TFL (or TANFL as it was known) and Glenorchy Council had done some initial works on KGV with the view to developing into league headquarters, but it never got past that initial phase. Remember that period (I was a tiny kid) where KGV oval had a few flash in the pan years during the 1980s, hosting large concerts (Dire Straits and alike), plus some state rep footy? Kind of fizzled pretty quickly though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Agree Spook. And to be fair in them, let’s not forget VICs were also missing (Tasmanians) Graham Wright and Darren Pritchard who had previously played for them. As well as Queenslander Jason Dunstall from some of the all time best “Victorian” sides put on the paddock.
Yeah, there were some weird ones. Like when Wayne Carey from Wagga led South Australia to victory over Victoria. Or anyone playing for the Bears or Swans representing Queensland or NSW no matter where they were from (e.g. Roger Merrett).

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
This is a bit more like it. (y)

"The AFL plan, which involves giving all 18 clubs access to high draft picks in exchange for experienced players..."

Good argument for Jack playing on a few more years. Get a first-rounder for a 37-year-old and he can be their inaugural captain.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Sounds like a deal for a new stadium is close. $500m 25,000, and based on Dunedin’s Perspex non retractable roof stadium. Seems ok, I think.

1659345987214.jpeg

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Rant incoming:

First things first, I 100% support a team in Tassie. But I do not support the building of a brand spanking new stadium 100% funded by the taxpayer.

I just wanna have a bit of whinge about the narrative on this issue earlier in the week.

The state opposition have copped it from all angles because they might not necessarily support the concept of the TAS govt paying for half of the new stadium in Hobart.

IMO, the criticism is being directed towards the wrong people… the AFL have demanded Tassie build a stadium and basically threatened to withhold the new licence unless the stadium is built.

A few weeks ago, the AFL signed a new $4.5 billion TV deal, yet expect $750 million of taxpayers money spent on a shiny new stadium.

This is bloody outrageous and insanely arrogant. We should be angry at the AFL, but instead, we are criticising politicians for not coming to the party. The AFL (and their sycophantic media) are playing it smart deflecting the narrative to politicians, but bloody hell, am I the only person that sees through this???

I have long criticised taxpayer funded upgrades to AFL Infrastructure. The $225 upgrade to Marvel – a privately owned stadium – is appalling.

Tasmania is a small state and spending at least $375 million on a stadium is a big hit to their bottom line. If the AFL want a stadium in Hobart, let them pay for it (or pay a large chunk of it).

IMO, they should dump the new stadium concept and renovate Bellerive Oval. I’m sure they can build a grandstand on the hill and increase the capacity to over 25,000 at 30-40% of the cost.

Reactions: 8 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Rant incoming:

First things first, I 100% support a team in Tassie. But I do not support the building of a brand spanking new stadium 100% funded by the taxpayer.

I just wanna have a bit of whinge about the narrative on this issue earlier in the week.

The state opposition have copped it from all angles because they might not necessarily support the concept of the TAS govt paying for half of the new stadium in Hobart.

IMO, the criticism is being directed towards the wrong people… the AFL have demanded Tassie build a stadium and basically threatened to withhold the new licence unless the stadium is built.

A few weeks ago, the AFL signed a new $4.5 billion TV deal, yet expect $750 million of taxpayers money spent on a shiny new stadium.

This is bloody outrageous and insanely arrogant. We should be angry at the AFL, but instead, we are criticising politicians for not coming to the party. The AFL (and their sycophantic media) are playing it smart deflecting the narrative to politicians, but bloody hell, am I the only person that sees through this???

I have long criticised taxpayer funded upgrades to AFL Infrastructure. The $225 upgrade to Marvel – a privately owned stadium – is appalling.

Tasmania is a small state and spending at least $375 million on a stadium is a big hit to their bottom line. If the AFL want a stadium in Hobart, let them pay for it (or pay a large chunk of it).

IMO, they should dump the new stadium concept and renovate Bellerive Oval. I’m sure they can build a grandstand on the hill and increase the capacity to over 25,000 at 30-40% of the cost.
Agree, Ian.

Bit hypocritical of the AFL to demand a gold plated stadium when their love children teams play on the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. Maybe those licences should be withdrawn until those stadiums are also gold plated. :cool:

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Rant incoming:

Totally agree.

With everything that is going on in the country at the moment, that type of money being flung towards a new sports stadium is borderline offensive.

Reactions: 1 users