Tasmania | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tasmania

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
FWIW - the coldest I’ve ever been at the footy - anywhere ever - was a Friday night North v Richmond game in Hobart

I was at the game. Steve Morris did his ACL.

Yes it was freezing standing on the hill with very little protection from the elements. But I am advocating placing grandstands on the Eastern side of Bellerive.

All this money spent on sport but we can still dont have a decent stadium that would let us host more than 1 Matilda's match and 2 early knock out games at the World Cup.

I was arguing this very same point with “Sports Industry” on Twitter last night.

We are hosting the third biggest sporting event in world sport and none of the major games are being played in Melbourne, despite the fact that we like to call ourselves the sporting capital of the world.

When the tournament is in full swing next winter, every Victorian will be wondering why the hell Sydney has all of the big games and we don’t. It’s a lost opportunity.

Of course, this comes down to the fact that its impossible to deal with the AFL on stadium use… as well as state politics on both sides… AFL always gets priority.

The NRL are much more amenable on this issue. Suncorp, Allianz, Accor stadium will be unavailable for 6-7 weeks, but they have found other options to during that time… so they get awarded the big games (Sydney gets a quarter final, semi-final and final, Brisbane gets a quarter final and third place playoff).

Ground rationalisation in Melbourne in the 90s has been disastrous for Melbourne sporting infrastructure. So has the lack of investment in rectangular sports infrastructure.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
It helps that the NRL grounds are rectangle and suit soccer more than cricket ovals

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
FWIW - the coldest I’ve ever been at the footy - anywhere ever - was a Friday night North v Richmond game in Hobart
Went to a couple of these - so it was probably about 6 or 8 years ago
It wasn’t wet at all - just freezing cold - despite wearing multiple layers.
Would have loved being under a roof that night.
Just saying …
Yep, I was there also.

Bought 2 National Pies at 1/2 time & kept them in my coat pockets as hand warmers

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It helps that the NRL grounds are rectangle and suit soccer more than cricket ovals

I don’t support Sokkah being played in oval stadiums. Never have and never will. But for a tournament such as the womens world cup, the state government just should have offered up the MCG for the final to showcase the city on one of the biggest stages of them all.

And AAMI Park should have been FIFA World Cup compliant (in other words, 40,000 capacity). But Marvel Stadium had a contract in place with the VIC Govt that forbid building a new stadium over 30,000… The AFL gets their way once again. One day we will bid on the mens world cup again... And the AFL (and sycophantic AFL media) will raise hell again and will fail to see the irony of a situation that could have been somewhat avoided.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Went to a couple of these - so it was probably about 6 or 8 years ago
It wasn’t wet at all - just freezing cold - despite wearing multiple layers.
Would have loved being under a roof that night.
Just saying …
That was an extremely rare night and just happened to be on a night that Hobart hosted an AFL game. Very rarely gets that cold of a night here. It was a bit of a freak occurrence that unfortunately fitted with cliches. Given Hobart’s marine climate it doesn’t often happen.

Somewhere like Launceston, Ballarat or Bendigo. Far more common.

Again though. Still wasn’t as cold as night (and day) soccer matches I’ve attended in northern England and Scotland.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah, a good news story from Gill yet nothing on the umpire arrested lol hypocrisy, at its best.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That was an extremely rare night and just happened to be on a night that Hobart hosted an AFL game. Very rarely gets that cold of a night here. It was a bit of a freak occurrence that unfortunately fitted with cliches. Given Hobart’s marine climate it doesn’t often happen.

Somewhere like Launceston, Ballarat or Bendigo. Far more common.

Again though. Still wasn’t as cold as night (and day) soccer matches I’ve attended in northern England and Scotland.
I grew up in ballarat and used to get gloves and a balaclava for xmas for the pushy ride to school and footy training in an inch of sleat

Then i went to launceston in winter.....

I stood on that swampy oval, and peaty icicles crept up my jean legs, and clutched my kidneys like they were two trophys.

But thats a distraction - i cant wait for the tassie devils.

They will be my instant second favourite team - i dont reckon tasmanians will stand for the AFL's bullcrap once they get a license. And i reckon their board will be a suburb of tigerland - richo, benny, jr, nank

Last edited:

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I grew up in ballarat and used to get gloves and a balaclava for xmas for the pushy ride to school and footy training in an inch of sleat

I stood on that swampy oval, and peaty icicles crept up my jean legs, and clutched my kidneys like they were two trophys.

They will be my instant second favourite team - i dont reckon tasmanians will stand for the AFL's bullcrap once they get a license. And i reckon their board will be a suburb of tigerland - richo, benny, jr, nank
My dad was Ukrainian.
He’d go to Tasmania in the middle of winter for his summer holidays

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon

You really like cold weather don’t you. Ballarat…….and Lonny………. Not exactly equatorial weather. 2 of the coldest places on the planet as far as I am concerned.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You really like cold weather don’t you. Ballarat…….and Lonny………. Not exactly equatorial weather. 2 of the coldest places on the planet as far as I am concerned.
Reckon all of Victoria and Melbourne is right up there given the last 7 months. Horrendous.

Note: doesnt rain much in Tasmania. Hobart at least. Quite dry. (Unlike Wetbourne.)

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
My dad was Ukrainian.
He’d go to Tasmania in the middle of winter for his summer holidays
Yeah not sure Aussies have much to complain about in regards to winter. Nothing like the northern hemisphere.

My wife has a step sister who lives in St. Paul Minnesota. That's -25 degrees celsius and 6 foot of snow in a good winter! Coldest I've ever experienced was on the airport tarmac boarding a plane in Calgary. Bright blue sky and -18 celsius. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thankfully was only out there a few minutes.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah not sure Aussies have much to complain about in regards to winter. Nothing like the northern hemisphere.

My wife has a step sister who lives in St. Paul Minnesota. That's -25 degrees celsius and 6 foot of snow in a good winter! Coldest I've ever experienced was on the airport tarmac boarding a plane in Calgary. Bright blue sky and -18 celsius. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Thankfully was only out there a few minutes.

Yeah but they dont play footy in ukraine or minnesota