Teenage Talent on Tap (The Age, June 27) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Teenage Talent on Tap (The Age, June 27)

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Teenage talent on tap
By Emma Quayle
June 27, 2005

Football's most talented young prospects spent their weekend kicking balls around right outside Denis Pagan's office door.

But while the Carlton recruiting crew took in the opening two days of the national under-18 carnival from their Optus Oval hiding place, the boss spent his split-round Sunday at home.

Rather than pick out a few players to bring to the Blues should they stay in bottom spot, Pagan instead saw South Australia score an upset win over Vic Country from his couch.

"A little bit of information is dangerous for a coach," Pagan said. "You've got to have confidence in your recruiting staff to do their job and stay right away from it."

Just as well; rather than clear up the order at the very top, the weekend's matches emphasised only that spots one, two, three and everything below are very much up for grabs.

South Australia, expected to be the division-one easybeat, was more ferocious than Country early, and held on for a 51-point win.

The talent-laden West Australian side could not get the ball to its plethora of tall forwards, and was beaten by a more determined Vic Metro team, by 27 points.

"It's only muddied the waters even more than I would have thought," said the Brisbane Lions' recruiting manager, Kinnear Beatson.

"In my mind there's only been two players today who've played at the level I expected they would.

"Some played better and there were a number of them who were down today. It's going to be an interesting draft.

"In years to come it will be one of those drafts where someone who's drafted in the 30s or 40s will become a very good player and everyone will be asking, how did he get through that far?"

If the Blues are looking for some midfield speed and skill, they would have liked Marc Murphy, the Vic Metro captain, son of former Fitzroy captain John Murphy and a player the Lions are trying to tempt their way as a father-son selection.

"Right from the first bounce he got the first ball out of the centre, laid the first tackle and really set the stamp on the game from there," said Kevin Sheehan, the AFL's national talent manager.

"He got 23 possessions, he laid six tackles, he made good decisions, he worked hard and he showed good leadership. He's as complete a player as you could get, for a smaller player."

Murphy's Metro teammate, Nathan Jones, also played a good midfield game, while Xavier Ellis zipped around the Vic Country wings, took a couple of courageous marks and kicked one long, raking goal.

Another captain, the taller, more big-bodied Shannon Hurn, might also capture Carlton's fancy. Hurn, who played in last year's Central District premiership side and is also a talented cricketer, spent most of yesterday in defence, thanks in part to some osteitis pubis, but read the incoming play well and showed some safe hands.

Taller options loom, too. Mitchell Clark, who has already held down centre half-forward for his WAFL side, East Fremantle, could not work his athletic 197 centimetres into the match.

The 193cm Josh Kennedy saw a little more of the ball, grabbing six marks across half-forward.

The Blues will need another horrible year to get their hands on WA's full-forward, Scott Gumbleton; the best key position locals include Matt Spangher, who held tough in the Metro defence, and Marcus Drum, who took one particularly gutsy mark in an otherwise quiet game for Country.

Then there is Beau Dowler, who represented Metro as a bottom-age player last year, and was one who did confirm why he had been rated highly leading in to the week-long tournament.

Playing at full-forward for Metro, Dowler looked quick, strong, and kicked four goals. Melbourne recruiting manager Craig Cameron said if anyone loomed as a definite top pick, he did; Sheehan was similarly impressed.

"He did a lot of things. His contested marking was good, he took marks on the lead and he just showed poise at times to set up a goal for one of his teammates," Sheehan said.

"He hung on to the footy and just waited for the right moment. As a guy who will physically develop over time, he's a terrific option for a marking forward."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/26/1119724525849.html

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
I wonder how deep this draft will go.

we could be looking at 10, 26, 42, 58 and the rest

Yeah, interesting.

I've got around 40 players marked down, at this early stage, that could be suitable for us to pick up at season's end. I reckon the draft group this year seems broader than last year. Although I must admit that I haven't minused off all the ineligibles as yet.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
skiptomystu said:
Could you give us your top 10 so far Phantom?

Bit early yet.
Div 1 are only through 1 of 3 games. Div 2 still has a game to go.
Let's wait till the end of the carnival.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but Is this the only carnival for the year or is there another towards the end?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
skiptomystu said:
I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question but Is this the only carnival for the year or is there another towards the end?

This is the carnival. There is no other. At the season's end, if this season follows the same as last season, there will be national & state based draft camps. At these camps, the boys will be tested for short, medium & long length speeds, twisting & turning, vertical leap, etc.
If you do a search on this website, you should be able to locate our posted thread from last year's national draft camp. Otherwise you should find the result on AFL.com.au

There are 2 other factors that will come into play being:
1. The Vic U18 finals - last year Bate came in from a fringe player to a top 20 based on his finals performances.
2. The Vic U18 Team Of The Year - Pattison was picked at CHF.
Victoria supplies loosely about 60% of the players drafted each year.

So in summary the major items to look out for are:
1. The carnival
2. The camp
3. The Vic U18 finals
4. The Vic U18 Team of the year.

Good luck!

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks Phantom.

Swallow from Western Australia, Bode from South Australia and Elliott from South Australia look like the best performers so far don't they?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
skiptomystu said:
Thanks Phantom.

Swallow from Western Australia, Bode from South Australia and Elliott from South Australia look like the best performers so far don't they?

A couple from Vic Metro would be up there also.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Phantom said:
1. The carnival
2. The camp
3. The Vic U18 finals

Good luck!

the u18 all aussie team too

at this same stage last year the names deledio, Tambling franklin and to a lesser extent griffen and roughhead were all pencilled in by now.

. it looks like the list is not so sure so early this year

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
DirtyDogTiger said:
Phantom said:
1. The carnival
2. The camp
3. The Vic U18 finals

Good luck!

the u18 all aussie team too

at this same stage last year the names deledio, Tambling franklin and to a lesser extent griffen and roughhead were all pencilled in by now.

. it looks like the list is not so sure so early this year

Yes DDT.
Some may remember that last year Roughead had a poor first match, but played well in the subsequent two matches. He missed out on the all-Aussie team. Didn't matter much, he still ended up pick no.2, but that was based more on his season overall.

Interesting to see how Mitchell Clark fares in his third match. It could be the difference between all-Aussie or not.