Tennis | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tennis

About time they kicked out the moron shouting during serves. Been happening all week.

Reactions: 1 user
:love::love::love:
FKRMRbaVEAET4Bh

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Well done Ash!!!! Congratulations :cupgold

Might as well get Chris O'Neill to present it to her......1978 ...geez.
Brilliant win of a true champion. Now three-time major winner on three different surfaces. One of only a handful of currently active players to have achieved this.
Collins put up quite a comeback getting to 5/1 in the 2nd. Then a true champion stepped right up. Amazing heart and skills from there - those of a TIGER.

Fantastic Ash Barty. :clap2:clap2

Reactions: 3 users
Great win by a great sportsperson last night. Ash is a credit to herself & a great role model for all Australians.
The Australian Open needed a fairy tale finish after a diabolical start.

Reactions: 9 users
Ash Barty is now a different sort of champion to what she was a couple of years ago. When she broke back in the 2nd set and then held to go to 3-5 there was a certain inevitability of what was going to happen. Her opponent got tight, but you could see that Ash went up a gear which is something only champs can do.

It was Tiger-like. She got a sniff and then it was all over.

She is such a great all round player now. She is mentally very strong, has every shot in the book and looks very fit.

Reactions: 1 users
She is such a great all round player now. She is mentally very strong, has every shot in the book and looks very fit.
That's what stood out to me, she looks lean & super fit.

Ash Barty is now a different sort of champion to what she was a couple of years ago. When she broke back in the 2nd set and then held to go to 3-5 there was a certain inevitability of what was going to happen. Her opponent got tight, but you could see that Ash went up a gear which is something only champs can do.

So true, Sin. Ash was the Tigers and Collins was Geelong.

At the very top level I reckon what goes on between the ears is far more important. They can all play extraordinarily well, but Ash Barty just seems to have mental strength and calmness which allows her to fight back from a difficult spot. I thought the second set was lost, with 2 breaks against her you would be right most of the time, but she didn't write off winning that set and roared back. What a player.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
At the very top level I reckon what goes on between the ears is far more important. They can all play extraordinarily well, but Ash Barty just seems to have mental strength and calmness which allows her to fight back from a difficult spot. I thought the second set was lost, with 2 breaks against her you would be right most of the time, but she didn't write off winning that set and roared back. What a player.

DS

I think Ash, with the precision and consistency of her serve and her arsenal of shots, and the gift she has for knowing when to use them,

means she is simply better at tennis than every other woman on the planet at this point in time.

No doubt whatsoever, her mental game consolidates her at No.1,

but I think her physical game is just better than everyone else.

But I broadly agree, that No.5 - No.55 in the world are probably separated by their nerves/mental game/mindfullness/concentration,

call it what you will.

But I tell you what, if you were number 2027 renown one-trick-pony in the world right now, but your trick was you could hit low fast hard spinning, non-bouncing, backhand slices onto the baseline consistently for 2 hours,

your phone would be ringing off the hook with lucrative offers as a training partner today.

• Haha
I was at a lot of games at Metricon in 2020. I think Ash was at a few tiges matches . A great choice by the club to have No 1 member present the cup. She had surf champ Steph Gilmore along as company to the odd game. Haven't noticed Gilmore playing in the local AFLW. Nor have I noticed Barty surfing.
Great touch to have Cathy Freeman in a photo. She's a bit of a quiet one

Wonder how long it will be for Hotheadev to whinge about Rafa's superstitious antics.