The all-out brawl at Windy Hill in 1974. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The all-out brawl at Windy Hill in 1974.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
From KB's book of football (Stories - Stats - Trivia)

Windy Hill brawl in 1974.

It all started just before half-time when Mal Brown clashed with Graeme 'Jerker' Jenkins (ex-Collingwood). As Brown was walking off the ground at half-time, John Cassin of Essendon, who was 19th man and had been sitting on the bench during the first half, and Bombers runner Laurie Ashley clashed with Brown. As Brown, Cassin and Ashley became embroiled in proceedings, spot fights broke out as other players got involved. It then grew nasty as officials and club personnel nad police invaded the ground. The aftermath saw Essendon fitness advisor Jim Bradley, who had run onto the ground, knocked out in a confrontation with Richmond's team manager Graeme Richmond. At the Tribunal hearing, chairman John Winneke found Essendon Laurie Ashley guilty of abusive language and suspended him for 6 matches. Jim Bradley was given a 6 match penalty for assaulting Mal Brown. John Cassin has an assault charge against Mal Brown not sustained. Ron Andrews was given 6 matches for assaulting Brian 'The Whale' Roberts. Steve Parsons was suspended for 4 weeks for assaulting Bradley. Mal Brown, reported for hitting runner Ashley got 1 week. Graeme Richmond, in a separate investigation by the VFL was fined $2000.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
By any chance was anyone here actually at that game or heard accounts of it from other tiger fans at the time? Would have been an interesting walk from the Windy Hill ground to the Essendon railway station after the game if you were decked out in Richmond gear.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
Hey MT, it was on t.v. and I have seen snatches of it from time to time so one of the channels must have it in their archives. Do they have it at Punt Road?

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
Dear All,

I was there as a 13 yo kid. It was Tigers against the world after this and I am sure helped us win the flag. I was on the hfflank same side but other end. The fracas happened near the eesendon members stand - for a while i thought everyone would start fighting.
One funny thing I remember a supporter saying was that if any bomber supporters wanted to have a go at the tigers, he would drop them as quick as Mal Brown did. Believe it or not Kevin Sheedy was heading up the race and KB said to him shouldnt we help? Kev said naw lets get in and we will be first for the oranges.
We won the fight and we won the game!
Of all my games I attended including Victoria Park, its the only place I have ever seen someone stabbed and bleeding in a front yard. This scared me as a young kid. Never forgot it.
I also remember they are the only supporter group that booed off their little league when they lost - can you believe it? They are awful supporters.

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
Look I think all other clubs suck - Swans excluded only because my sons great uncle Fred Goldsmith won a brownlow for them and he was and is still a Tigers supporter.
For passion I think only Tigers and Colling wood have it, but Collingwood are so foul mouthed I hate them too.
Dislike the cocky Lions, same for Weagles, Freo is shaping up like them as well.
What do you guys think??? ???

??? ??? ??? ???

Boyanich

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 13, 2004
Regional Victoria
Yes, I was at that game.
Our Mum took my brother and I. We were 14 and 10 respectively.
I remember the blue, but very little else.
One thing I do remember though...I think you caught the train to and from Windy Hill from Glenbervie Railway Station.

It was a standout in the memory..but all in brawls were more common than now days.
Especially if you ventured to the VFA on a Sunday.
The VFA...ahhhh!...What memories.

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
As you say, Boyanich -

The VFA...ahhhh!...What memories.

(Your user name also brings back memories)

In those days when all the VFL games were played on a Saturday - well, nearly all - it was our habit to follow the VFA on Sundays. I went for Oakleigh first, as I went to Oakleigh Tech, and then Sandy because their colours were close to Richmond. But there was always a bit of biff promised if Port or Willy were playing.