The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I don’t totally agree with this . That’s the way we used to play to win, we were able to sacrifice winning clearances for winning the ball back on intercept/turnover and launching forward from there. These days with the stand rule the ability to do that is reduced, you need more than a turnover game.
Our problem now is that we don’t get enough first use from clearances around the ground. Whether Matt Crouch is the right player is up for debate but I do not agree that we don’t need to add a strong clearance mid. Doesn’t mean we don’t need 2 ways runners but we have to get players who can get the pill in clearance to give it to them.

I'm quite bullish that between Ross and Dow we will have enough pure extraction next year. (You can add Prestia, Dusty and maybe Cotchin too).

You're right though, if neither of the young kids come on, or if we lose Cotchy and Dusty, then we'll be light on there.

I disagree that the transition runners game had become less important. I'd say it's almost more critical with the ball in motion more. Our game plan still revolves around turnover, just further up the ground. We still attack on the counter. You only need to look at how much better we are this year whenever Lambert managed to play.

I just don't see Crouch as really adding anything, and I do see his limitations.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I'm quite bullish that between Ross and Dow we will have enough pure extraction next year. (You can add Prestia, Dusty and maybe Cotchin too).

You're right though, if neither of the young kids come on, or if we lose Cotchy and Dusty, then we'll be light on there.

I disagree that the transition runners game had become less important. I'd say it's almost more critical with the ball in motion more. Our game plan still revolves around turnover, just further up the ground. We still attack on the counter. You only need to look at how much better we are this year whenever Lambert managed to play.

I just don't see Crouch as really adding anything, and I do see his limitations.
A major difference too is that Lambo slotted in alongside elite extractors.
Nowadays are mids are speedy evasive types. Slight bodies.
Ross can help
But let's get a tough body in there

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Interesting. So his role is to take on Oliver /Cripps/Wines types
Could get cut up and exposed.

Looking at swans mids, young strong lifelong mids. Shows the advantage if speed and agility with the front line mids.
Just on the Sydney midfield it no longer revolves around an inside bull. Kennedy is out and playing hbf.
The new look has decent size but combined with speed agility - its dynamic.
Mills 187
Rowbottom 186
Parker 183
Warner 181
Gulden 176
Papley 165

On Parker, he,s become less influential this year. Looking older and struggling with the speed of the game

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Western Bulldogs apparently offering 32 yr old Liam Jones a 3 year contract!

• Wow

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
6 years is crazy....
But that's the new normal.

Reckon Shai signs for 6
Thing is that Shai's 23 y.o. just now coming into his peak n in six years time at 29 y.o. will still theoretically be in his peak. Players at 26y.o. getting six or seven year deals are midway through their peak n most likely to be in decline, often finished in their very early 30's.
Got me a feeling way to many clubs are viewing the longevity of a very small minority of players and considering this to be more the norm than the outlier.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

OK but I didn't say the transition runners were less important, what I said was we can't rely on winning games from intercept and turnovers as we did from 2017-2020. The pure extraction and getting first use at around the ground clearances is just more important than it was.
Just about every time we have had a run on against us in 2022 it has been accompanied by a massive dominance in clearances by the opposition. (I reckon if we had a Clayton Oliver in our team we would be top of the ladder)
As I said whether Matt Crouch is the right player is up for debate and the club will make that decision but I do think he is a better player than many on here give him credit for.
I don't watch enough games of other teams these days to know who else might be around

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
OK but I didn't say the transition runners were less important, what I said was we can't rely on winning games from intercept and turnovers as we did from 2017-2020. The pure extraction and getting first use at around the ground clearances is just more important that it was.
Just about every time we have had a run on against us in 2022 it has been accompanied by a massive dominance in clearances by the opposition. (I reckon if we had a Clayton Oliver in our team we would be top of the ladder)
Soldo getting more confidence in his knee will be a big help too, hit outs to advantage are invaluable.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Soldo getting more confidence in his knee will be a big help too, hit outs to advantage are invaluable.
Yes. As much as I love the big Nank he is not really a ruckman, more of what in the old days was called a follower.
Not sure Soldo is the answer though

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
On Crouch, he would lessen the bartering Presita takes, releases him to the outside and spread more. Takes the Cotch battering ram role.

It should be RCD or Dow stepping into this role but neither are ready. I get huge Jarrod Lyons vibes from this Crouch situation.

Let's leave Meh Crouch Potato out of any sentence that includes the Great Chimp Scooper.

Especially as he'd struggle to batter flake.

• Haha

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Let's leave Meh Crouch Potato out of any sentence that includes the Great Chimp Scooper.

Especially as he'd struggle to batter flake.
That’s a reverse kiss of death, he’s a certainty to have a bumper 2023 if you don’t like him.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
We'll see. The games going more and more away from your crab it sideways midfielders like your boy Meh Crouch Potato.

You need power, strength, burst, leg drive forward (and back) and a mindset to back it. Meh is none of those.

Sydney are an excellent prototype how to build that area.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He’s hardly my boy, cheap risk to build a midfield that has been ignored for too long. If we simply go to the draft for all our mids this generation ( Baker, Bolton, Short, Graham, Nank) will be wasted over the next five years. Prefer someone who has shown All Australian form as opposed to a Dow.

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Totally agree we need to target one (or two of can afford it) midfielders to help us in the short/medium term Scooper. You've rightly be screaming for it years.

Let's just ensure we target one's that can also transition both forward and back. i.e. direct footballers.

Cos if they can't they will be a liability under Dimma. He simply won't play them.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We'll see. The games going more and more away from your crab it sideways midfielders like your boy Meh Crouch Potato.

You need power, strength, burst, leg drive forward (and back) and a mindset to back it. Meh is none of those.

Sydney are an excellent prototype how to build that area.
To me you missed one required element. All of those traits are advantages but we also need to remember it is a game of footy and there is still a place for a guy who simply finds the footy and then distributes it.

Without that element you have Israel Folau

I am not necessarily saying Crouch is our man but what I see is missing more than anything is just someone who can find the ball at a stoppage

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
To me you missed one required element. All of those traits are advantages but we also need to remember it is a game of footy and there is still a place for a guy who simply finds the footy and then distributes it.

Without that element you have Israel Folau

I am not necessarily saying Crouch is our man but what I see is missing more than anything is just someone who can find the ball at a stoppage
We've never struggled in that area in finals. Crouch isn't best 22 when we are fit. Can't recruit a guy who isn't in your best 22.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We've never struggled in that area in finals. Crouch isn't best 22 when we are fit. Can't recruit a guy who isn't in your best 22.
I haven't said we need Crouch, what I have said is we need someone who can get the pill at the around the ground clearances
The game is now different to when we last played finals, thanks to SHocking

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I haven't said we need Crouch, what I have said is we need someone who can get the pill at the around the ground clearances
The game is now different to when we last played finals, thanks to SHocking
I hear what you are saying Sin. If we want to improve our clearance work then we will need to pay up and get Hopper. It’s a long and short term investment.