The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Interesting.
First if they actually rated him they appear to have lost confidence in that judgement pretty quickly.
Maybe 3 tall forwards didn’t fit in with their plans but given the likely fragility of Lynch returning after 12 months, and Grimes, who has had an interrupted pre season and appeared last week to be well below what we have come to expect, u would have thought maybe a slot on the bench (for Kosy) might have been in order. But no and out he goes.

Add to that 1) he has great difficulty getting the ball and
2) when he does his limit seems to be a kick of 40 meters.

Can’t imagine that either Yze or Newman,
gave glowing reports.
Instead it seems more likely that after the poor performance of our forward line last season it was decided that the only available course was to get in a forward with some experience.
We failed to get Himmelburg and alarmingly the choice slid back very quickly to one between Kosy (… and … Chol).
Again, how do you think they have lost confidence in their judgement?

This could purely be that he performed poorly and hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify his place in a side that - in all honesty - looked like
it could have copped a 100pt bollocking at half time. I half jokingly said, it was round 0 and RFC gave us nothing. It was true. We had to drop some people
as you can't carry that type of performance.

I'm sure we could have kept Kosi and just dropped Samson, but what type of message does that send in your first week as coach? You can not perform and still
get a gig because I trust you? Yze in his first week need to make a stand on the type of culture and effort they're expecting. It's likely got little to do with belief
in Kosi's talent (or lack of). Standards and expectations need to be set.

I'd argue that the lack of exposure for some of our VFL side has probably saved a couple of others (Dow for example).

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Kosi takes little of the salary cap, and, not unrelated, not that much is expected of him. Would we like him to develop into a gun key position forward? Hell yeah. Did we expect this when we recruited him? Aah, look at the salary, clearly not.

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Again, how do you think they have lost confidence in their judgement?

This could purely be that he performed poorly and hasn't done anywhere near enough to justify his place in a side that - in all honesty - looked like
it could have copped a 100pt bollocking at half time. I half jokingly said, it was round 0 and RFC gave us nothing. It was true. We had to drop some people
as you can't carry that type of performance.

I'm sure we could have kept Kosi and just dropped Samson, but what type of message does that send in your first week as coach? You can not perform and still
get a gig because I trust you? Yze in his first week need to make a stand on the type of culture and effort they're expecting. It's likely got little to do with belief
in Kosi's talent (or lack of). Standards and expectations need to be set.

I'd argue that the lack of exposure for some of our VFL side has probably saved a couple of others (Dow for example).

When you suggest they had done their research I understood you to mean that they had collectively decided he would be a significant addition to the side with a strong contribution to make and advised accordingly.
On what he has shown since arrival I agree that the decision to send him back was the right one.

I said, ‘I can’t imagine either gave glowing reports’.
I said, ‘If they actually rated him’,then dropping him showed a lack of confidence.

Don’t think they rated him but we went ahead anyway for the reason set out.
Said it before.. he was the best available from a very very weak pool of experienced tall forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
When you suggest they had done their research I understood you to mean that they had collectively decided he would be a significant addition to the side with a strong contribution to make and advised accordingly.
On what he has shown since arrival I agree that the decision to send him back was the right one.

I said, ‘I can’t imagine either gave glowing reports’.
I said, ‘If they actually rated him’,then dropping him showed a lack of confidence.

Don’t think they rated him but we went ahead anyway for the reason set out.
Said it before.. he was the best available from a very very weak pool of experienced tall forwards.
Yes, I can imagine Yze and Newman saying "He's not very good, we don't rate him, but I reckon recruit him anyway". The work put in to a player before we draft isn't just some random crapshoot or a blind throw at a dart board. It's not 1989 Richmond anymore.

You can still think someone can play a role (Note - "Rating" someone in my books, does not mean they're a superstar, just that you think they're capable of playing a role that you want them to) and not lose confidence in them, but say they aren't performing. As a matter of fact, a lot of coaches don't lose confidence in their players, and try to coach them out of non-performing periods. I imagine Yze thinking he'll be able to do just that. But Yze also has to try win games of football, and if someone's not performing as expected, he'd best not carry them or he's going to feel the media pressure real quick. I can't see us signing him up to 3yrs, and not having any confidence in the fella to reach some expected level of performance (Which he couldn't get close to last week).

Does anyone really think we're expecting Kosi to step up and be Reiwoldt, Lynch, or Wayne Carey? I reckon the club maybe thought he might be an Ashley Hansen or at best a Tom McDonald.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Yes, I can imagine Yze and Newman saying "He's not very good, we don't rate him, but I reckon recruit him anyway". The work put in to a player before we draft isn't just some random crapshoot or a blind throw at a dart board. It's not 1989 Richmond anymore.

You can still think someone can play a role (Note - "Rating" someone in my books, does not mean they're a superstar, just that you think they're capable of playing a role that you want them to) and not lose confidence in them, but say they aren't performing. As a matter of fact, a lot of coaches don't lose confidence in their players, and try to coach them out of non-performing periods. I imagine Yze thinking he'll be able to do just that. But Yze also has to try win games of football, and if someone's not performing as expected, he'd best not carry them or he's going to feel the media pressure real quick. I can't see us signing him up to 3yrs, and not having any confidence in the fella to reach some expected level of performance (Which he couldn't get close to last week).

Does anyone really think we're expecting Kosi to step up and be Reiwoldt, Lynch, or Wayne Carey? I reckon the club maybe thought he might be an Ashley Hansen or at best a Tom McDonald.
I didn't say they said 'he is not very good etc'. Nor do I think it.
Rather I think their appraisal of Kosy was honest and accurate.

More like, 'Himmelburg or other quality kpp is not available. The remaining (available) players with experience, don't offer a great deal but with Jack gone and Lynch uncertain, we need to grab the best available', which they did.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Load up at the draft 👍
Load up with free agency 👍
Trade out 👍
Trade in 👎

We need to maximise our recruitment the next couple of year before taz comes on line and grab as much talent as possible without spending picks I like the idea of chasing as much free agency talent as possible this year and hitting the draft hard.

Last edited:

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
We have plenty of flanker types with Brown and Tresize waiting to get a game.
Not sure we have a genuine small lock down defender. When short or baker have to defend one on one with a whippet we struggle e.g. Papley, Cameron, and recently Rosas. Would not pay too much but if Baker departs Noble (honest footballer) would be handy.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Will throw a name out there for Blair to target - Max Holmes.

Out of contract at the end of the year. The Cats are dithering re-signing him. Offering 4 years at $700k. That won't do the job.

Get into him big time.

Absolutely ideal for us - 190cm inside out midfielder who runs like the wind. A national under 18 400m champion who carves out 20m in 2.80 seconds.

Would balance our midfielders out perfectly.

21 years old. Perfect age. Perfect type. About to hit stardom.

Would cost 2 x firsts trade wise and 7 years and a mill a year. But absolutely worth it. PERFECT for us.

At worst makes them pricks pay through the nose and break there famous pay structure to keep him.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Out of contract at the end of the year. The Cats are dithering re-signing him. Offering 4 years at $700k. That won't do the job.

Get into him big time.

Absolutely ideal for us - 190cm inside out midfielder who runs like the wind. A national under 18 400m champion who carves out 20m in 2.80 seconds.

Would cost 2 x firsts trade wise and 7 years and a mill a year. But absolutely worth it. PERFECT for us.

At worst makes them pricks pay through the nose and break there famous pay structure to keep him.
If he leaves Geelong he is going straight to the lexus centre.
Don't even bother

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Get into him big time.

We traded our 1st pick in 2020 to Geelong
And they used it to pick Holmes.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
We used their future first for Brown. Will be an interesting comparison in a few years.
Yeah, I think that race has already been run and won.

Holmes is and will very likely remain a far superior player to Brown for the duration of their careers.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
What I WANT TO KNOW AND PROBABLY FROM RICHMOND IS
Geelong turnover annually is 65,000,000
Richmond's is 92,000,000.
What advantages are we getting for this huge extra turnover as their must be big advantages ànd mostly on the field or
What's the point.
Turnover is simply that, it's money churn n not that important. The relevant number is profit from $ turned. Moggies own their stadium and the reserved seating n advertising $ that goes with it. Reckon they'd also have way less input factor in gaining some of their sponsorship deals being a one club regional area.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
B ???? Young ?????
HB DRioli Gibcus Baker (depends if he stays obviously)
C Ross ???? ????
HF ???? Balta ????
F Mansell ???? ?????
R ?????? Taranto Bolton
I/C Graham

So quite a few spots, 9 question marks in there. Clearly this years draft appears to be midfielder heavy (which is good for us, need a jump in quality there) so its those positions around it that we need filling.
Geez Poshy you need to watch a few more episodes of the Count on Sesame Street or have some stern words with your Kindy counting teacher. You've got 40 question marks in there not bloody nine.