The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The other way to look at this situation is that we can move forward with a better balanced list.

The drafting of Samson was a real head-scratcher but could prove an inspired move. Let's hope he can step up, if required, next season.

I look at the Dogs and see a well balanced list. English and Martin are their first choice rucks with Young and Sweet developing (not sure Young is a genuine ruck but he was used as the second tall until Martin came back into the side).

That's it.

Having Nankervis, Soldo, CCJ, Chol, Samson and Colina is at least one, if not two, talls too many for the way the game is played. Heck, we can use Lynch and Balta as relief rucks if required ... much like the Cats use Hawkins and Blicavs.

In my view, we desperately miss three characteristics right now: midfield grunt, transition/wing pace and forward flair.

Hitting the draft hard is risky, but if the trade targets just aren't there, you aim to come out the other side with a list that better suits today's game.

I'd be comfortable if the draft yielded:

1x inside mid
1x pacy winger, ideally with elite foot skills
2x x-factor forwards
1x tall forward

And I'm all in on a Tarrant / Talia type to fill the Astbury position, in concert with Miller. Might have a different view on this if we weren't in the window for more success.

Hopefully we can use whatever picks we end up with to draft for needs and move up to wherever we need to be to get those players.

TL;DR ... not devastated at losing two talls.
Everything you mention there we are missing
He burnt in the 2017 draft Higgins isnt a midfielders ass hole
Naish the winger, but bulk at the sight of a ball
and the Coleman Jones that wants more the cash then success.
Absolutly butchered that draft.
Allen, Powell, McCartin, Taylor, Ryan, Daniels

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I think around $800k is a top tier pick.. They take contract years into account too. If a 4 year deal at $400k then it would be 4th band pick..

Inside top 50% is end of second round.

Don't think so, for Brando we only got an end of 2nd round pick and he got a 5 year deal at about $550k -600K way superior to what Gold Coast are giving Chol. It will be a 3rd rounder if we're lucky.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Don't think so, for Brando we only got an end of 2nd round pick and he got a 5 year deal at about $550k -600K way superior to what Gold Coast are giving Chol. It will be a 3rd rounder if we're lucky.
We didn’t get an end of 2nd round for Ellis, that’s band 4 compo. We got a 2nd round pick after our 2nd round pick which is band 3 compo. When you finish first on the ladder though it provides the same outcome.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We got a second rounder (after our second rounder) for Brando, it just happened that it was at the end of the second round. If we'd finished last, we would have got pick 20 for him.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
We didn’t get an end of 2nd round for Ellis, that’s band 4 compo. We got a 2nd round pick after our 2nd round pick which is band 3 compo. When you finish first on the ladder though it provides the same outcome.
We got a second rounder (after our second rounder) for Brando, it just happened that it was at the end of the second round. If we'd finished last, we would have got pick 20 for him.

True enough guys but unfortunately still leaves us only getting a 3rd rounder for Mabs, the only band that will be better in the deal comparison is age with him being under 25.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
True enough guys but unfortunately still leaves us only getting a 3rd rounder for Mabs, the only band that will be better in the deal comparison is age with him being under 25.
Yeah I think it will come close but the AFL will see “Richmond” and the last variable in the herbs and spices they apply will bump it to 3rd

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Crows got an end of second for Atkins, so yeah, we'll get a third.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Why do we have no cash? Is it the back ended big contracts of Lynch & Dusty?
Im with you. Watching Port Adelaide, Geelong and even West coast constantly bring in players its *smile* to watch.
We have lost Rance Astbury and Houli that's easy 2 mill.
But signed up bigV, Grimes, Graham, Bolton and sign up Jack and Edwards on less money.
Maybe 2022 & 23 is the back ended part of lynch's and Martin's contract.
Thats why they should release players wagers.
It would cut this shiit out of always wondering how are clubs bringing in players.
I want the AFL to look into Carlton and Geelong.
Carlton Walsh Curnow Williams Saad McKay McGovern Martin Cripps and Weatering all over 500k.
Geelong Blivass Guthrie Smith Stewart Duncan all 500k , Selwood Dangerfield Hawkins Cameron all over 700k

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Im with you. Watching Port Adelaide, Geelong and even West coast constantly bring in players its *smile* to watch.
We have lost Rance Astbury and Houli that's easy 2 mill.
But signed up bigV, Grimes, Graham, Bolton and sign up Jack and Edwards on less money.
Maybe 2022 & 23 is the back ended part of lynch's and Martin's contract.
Thats why they should release players wagers.
It would cut this shiit out of always wondering how are clubs bringing in players.
I want the AFL to look into Carlton and Geelong.
Carlton Walsh Curnow Williams Saad McKay McGovern Martin Cripps and Weatering all over 500k.
Geelong Blivass Guthrie Smith Stewart Duncan all 500k , Selwood Dangerfield Hawkins Cameron all over 700k

You want transparency, from the AFL? :LOL: :ROFLMAO: o_O :rotfl1 :rotfl2

Mate, I have this new cryptocurrency I'm willing to sell you!

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
It was a 2nd round pick not end of 2nd round. Because we won the GF it effectively became an end of 2nd round

Conca got a 3rd rounder that we then lost so should be at least that

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
The compensation is based on a guaranteed salary so any incentives in the contract are not counted. Could be why there is seemingly discrepancies between the compensation picks

Must be at least a 2 year contract.

I think something around $800k pa is counted as the top tier.

They also add bonus points in the formula for age. A 25 year old is max. points dropping each year to 30 years old. No extra points above 30 years old.

Band 1 - Top five per cent = first-round pick

Band 2 - Top 15 per cent = end-of-first-round pick

Band 3 - Top 30 per cent = second-round pick

Band 4 - Top 50 per cent = end-of-second-round pick

Band 5 - Top 70 per cent = third-round pick

- Below that = no pick

Last edited: