The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
its astonishing GilCoin hasn't been launched.

I must be getting old if King is a free agent. I feel like he was eligible for the rising star last year.

Ben King is out of contract at the end of 2022 but is not a free agent.

Notable RFA's in 2022 are De Goey,, Darcy Moore & Isaac Heeney. Also Jackson Macrae is a UFA.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Notable RFA's in 2022 are De Goey,, Darcy Moore & Isaac Heeney. Also Jackson Macrae is a UFA.

Thanks Teckor.

Id love Heeney the most out of that lot. Exactly what we need. Moore I'd like to.

wouldnt touch Degoey with christian porters' brown paper bag

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015

with the coaches that the Scum have now, no Scum player will be leaving, unless they are tipped out the door

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
The recruiting led by Clarke, Blair will have an exciting task at this years draft with first round draft picks.

This could set us up to get by the time Jack, Grimes ? , Edwards ? retire/get older to keep at the top. We will still have a core group of experience and hopefully RCD, Dow, Martyn, Ross, Sampson, ? Miller? Soldo? Mate? Etc have developed to assist the next crop of kids to grow together as the Cotchins, Edwards, Jack, Grimes, Rance, Astbury, etc.

So 5 picks

7, 16, 26, 28. CJ pick hopefully 20. Wouldn’t accept their pick 38.

Bull quick mids
Wingman( true , quick)
Tall back
Tall forward

Think we are hoping and thinking the same.

And while we still go Dusty.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The compensation is based on a guaranteed salary so any incentives in the contract are not counted. Could be why there is seemingly discrepancies between the compensation picks

Must be at least a 2 year contract.

I think something around $800k pa is counted as the top tier.

They also add bonus points in the formula for age. A 25 year old is max. points dropping each year to 30 years old. No extra points above 30 years old.

Band 1 - Top five per cent = first-round pick

Band 2 - Top 15 per cent = end-of-first-round pick

Band 3 - Top 30 per cent = second-round pick

Band 4 - Top 50 per cent = end-of-second-round pick

Band 5 - Top 70 per cent = third-round pick

- Below that = no pick
I read somewhere that the contract offer from the original club is factored in too. Hence the AFL was able to screw us on Brando despite GC paying him 550-600 x5, because our offer was under 300.

Chol is 24, so he'll attract max bonus points. Four-year deal and reported 400k should push him into at least Band 4, if not Band 3. So the worst we should get is pick 38, possibly pick 27.

But who knows with these unaccountable, non-transparent, corrupt *smile*.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Im with you. Watching Port Adelaide, Geelong and even West coast constantly bring in players its *smile* to watch.
We have lost Rance Astbury and Houli that's easy 2 mill.
But signed up bigV, Grimes, Graham, Bolton and sign up Jack and Edwards on less money.
Maybe 2022 & 23 is the back ended part of lynch's and Martin's contract.
Thats why they should release players wagers.
It would cut this shiit out of always wondering how are clubs bringing in players.
I want the AFL to look into Carlton and Geelong.
Carlton Walsh Curnow Williams Saad McKay McGovern Martin Cripps and Weatering all over 500k.
Geelong Blivass Guthrie Smith Stewart Duncan all 500k , Selwood Dangerfield Hawkins Cameron all over 700k
How many premierships have those clubs won over the past 5 years though?

Its hard to get too upset about a tight salary cap when you are coming off winning 3 of the past 4 premierships. Par for the course I would have thought.

Reactions: 6 users

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
I read somewhere that the contract offer from the original club is factored in too. Hence the AFL was able to screw us on Brando despite GC paying him 550-600 x5, because our offer was under 300.

Chol is 24, so he'll attract max bonus points. Four-year deal and reported 400k should push him into at least Band 4, if not Band 3. So the worst we should get is pick 38, possibly pick 27.

It will depend if Chol will be on a incentive based contract or not.

Not sure length of contract is taken into account as much. in the AFL calculation. Must be 2 years min. though.

Age should bump him up a bit in the points calculation. Would think min. 3rd round and possible end of second.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Wingman( true , quick)
Tall back
Tall forward

Think we are hoping and thinking the same.

And while we still go Dusty.
No more talls in the top 50. They never work out. Post 50, PSD, Rookie. No more McBeans, Mckenzie, CCJ's with our top 50 picks.

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

You just know it will be a third or worse 4th round compensation pick.
If CJ still wants to go. We just can’t let North low ball us.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
You just know it will be a third or worse 4th round compensation pick.
If CJ still wants to go. We just can’t let North low ball us.
Problem is with North they have pick 1 in PSD so they have the upper hand. Hopefully they play fair for any future dealings.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Problem is with North they have pick 1 in PSD so they have the upper hand. Hopefully they play fair for any future dealings.
We are going to have to give something back I suspect to get pick 20, maybe a later pick from this year or next.

He is well worth more than that but when dealing with the club who has the first pick in the PSD its about what we can expect. In the end it may depend on how many picks we expect to use. If we have 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders maybe we would be willing at giving them a pick from this year that we won’t use like our pick 48 or 58.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
If i was north, i wouldn't be stupid about this considering how much more desirable a club like Richmond is to play for than North.

If they screw us on this and take CCJ in the PSD is would be a poor reflection on not only them but CCJ as well.

It could lead to a situation where we launch future raids on their batch of youngesters as they hit free agency. The timing would almost be perfect as our older guys are exiting out the other side. They'd also be joining a team that i'd imagine would have a raft of young talent coming through from this years draft.

Let's face it, when crowds are back, our side will be playing in front of 100,000 while CCJ plays in front of a couple of wifes and girlfriends and some mums and dads, plus a handful of masochists.

The long term monetary advantages of being a star at Richmond far outweigh and potential for that at North. The only way you'd make money from sponsorships or media during and post career at north is if you are Wayne Carey. I think CCJ has a lot of potential, but he's not Wayne Carey.

Reactions: 1 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
It could lead to a situation where we launch future raids on their batch of youngesters as they hit free agency. The timing would almost be perfect as our older guys are exiting out the other side. They'd also be joining a team that i'd imagine would have a raft of young talent coming through from this years draft.
Welcome to the world of NRL which I might say is one Federal Court case from happening. Currently it is no ones interests to rock the boat. If we were in Norf's position say with Thomas and had the option of the PSD we would take it without blinking. AFL is a business the club has its interests and the player with limited time would be correct in looking after theirs. To me there seems little difference in CJ looking after his own interests against the possible blue sky being suggested in staying. Any thinking person would take the bird in the hand. The converse of this is Naish, the club correctly looked after its interests in delisting him (he probably wanted to stay). Sadly you cant have it both ways

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Welcome to the world of NRL which I might say is one Federal Court case from happening. Currently it is no ones interests to rock the boat. If we were in Norf's position say with Thomas and had the option of the PSD we would take it without blinking. AFL is a business the club has its interests and the player with limited time would be correct in looking after theirs. To me there seems little difference in CJ looking after his own interests against the possible blue sky being suggested in staying. Any thinking person would take the bird in the hand. The converse of this is Naish, the club correctly looked after its interests in delisting him (he probably wanted to stay). Sadly you cant have it both ways
Fair comment, but in saying that it might reflect on CCJ's own confidence in his ability as a player.

Does he have the faith in himself to knock the door down or not?

Watching him play, he seems to perform better as a forward than a ruckman from what i've seen. It's all well and good for North to say "we'll give you extra ruck time", but if he doesn't perform there, it will be someone else partnering Goldy. The only saving grace for CCJ is Goldy's age, but if that's what CCJ is relying on for a career, then it makes me feel all the more comfortable seeing his back exiting the door.

At the end of the day Nank hasn't played 22 games for a while, and Soldo has just missed a full season plus some so it's not like there were no opportunities at Richmond. There are however other younger players coming through. TBH Sampson Ryan is miles ahead of CCJ at the equivelant time as a forward, and probably even as a ruck. There was one game i remember watching around round July where SR had to assume the ruck duties all day and he was quite fgood against a seasoned campaigner. With more work under his belt, the exit of CCJ may not even cause a ripple.

I just wantto be adequately compensated for him leaving.

Reactions: 3 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Fair comment, but in saying that it might reflect on CCJ's own confidence in his ability as a player.

Does he have the faith in himself to knock the door down or not?
Problem as I see it is this last 2 years mess has made most people risk averse so it is easier to take what seems to be the easiest and best at the time option. Time will tell whether it was correct. The thing that surprises me is that there are not (although they may come) more of young players wanting to return home like Cerra because who knows whether 2022 maybe the same as 20 and 21

feisty tige

Tiger Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Dandenong
Talia has been out of the game for a bit, would probably not cost much but might not even play? Unless I am missing something...