The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Toby Bedford at Melbourne, has pace to burn, good goal sense, can’t get a gig.

Reckon a call is needed. Would suit our style down to the ground.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Toby Bedford at Melbourne, has pace to burn, good goal sense, can’t get a gig.

Reckon a call is needed. Would suit our style down to the ground.
Has he been the regulation sub?
I guess he is in line behind Kosi Pickett and Spargo

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
P. Dow another 33 disposals, 10 clearances, 5 tackles, 2 goals today.
I’m on the Dow bandwagon too, Spook.

Former number 3 draft pick, will be a cheap pick up with big upside.

His brother must be getting into his ear about a possible move.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
To get a current supporter's perspective- is he a whipping boy or is it a farce - I've looked at the Blues abroad forum.....
Sounds like he is young in footballers terms and inconsistent.

This is what BLUESABROAD say bout Paddy:
The attributes that Paddy Dow possess are those of the modern-day midfielder. Explosive from the contest has a lot of power through the hips. Very instinctive in tight areas and has a beautiful side-step that allows him to avoid tackles with pace. Should Voss want to use Dow consistently, he needs to be used in a very specific way. He doesn’t have the elite ball use or the engine to play as a pure outside midfielder, nor does he have the ball finding ability or the grunt on the inside to play as a pure inside mid, he is a hybrid of both.

he has shown that he can have patches of electrifying football, being a clearance machine and being able to hit up targets.

2021 wasnt definitive, after a particularly disappointing 2020. He showed glimpses of brilliance, last year. Bursting from packs with his trademark explosiveness, and his use of the footy seemed to improve 10-fold as well. While his consistency still was left to be desired, he showed that he had taken major steps in the right direction. You only need to look at the games against Fremantle, St Kilda and Adelaide that showed how damaging he can be. We all knew he had the attributes to be the player that we all know he can be, yet 2021 was the first time in a long time that we were shown it on a semi-consistent basis

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Gotta go hard at the best available midfield free agent this year.

Couple of interesting names in there. Jack Macrae (presumably untouchable), De Goey, Angus Brayshaw.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Gotta go hard at the best available midfield free agent this year.

Couple of interesting names in there. Jack Macrae (presumably untouchable), De Goey, Angus Brayshaw.
Brayshaw is an interesting one. Melbourne have got to have at least half their cap tied up in Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Viney and Brown. With Jackson out of contract and fielding mega offers from out west that doesn’t leave much left for the rest of the list.

Surely, they start losing players like we did?

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
Brayshaw is an interesting one. Melbourne have got to have at least half their cap tied up in Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Viney and Brown. With Jackson out of contract and fielding mega offers from out west that doesn’t leave much left for the rest of the list.

That is an absolute certainty.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

Freo with his brother
Both got the 3 votes this weekend

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Funnily enough I'd hope they keep Brayshaw on a fairly good contract.

The one we should be targeting is Oliver. Out of contract at the end of 2023 (RFA), he'll be 26 at that time and a lot of our bigger contracts will be expiring. Even Dusty would only be contracted for 1 more year and Lynch for 2 more, so we would have plenty to offer him a very big contract, even if it were back ended. If we progress the list well over the next year, bring in players like Sonsie, MRJ (more), Banks, Clarke, Brown adding them to the likes of Shai, Short, Vlastuin, Graham, Dan Rioli, Balta, Gibcus etc, we could have a strong core there, that Oliver could take to the next level.

I'd think we'd be in a position to pay him $800k-$1m within our cap, even if it were backended.

This is the way that you refresh your list on the fly IMO. Use the draft to draft top quality players and then add through free agency. If we can offer Oliver both the cash and the prospect of further success (through our onfield performance over the coming year or so) then he might be tempted to move. Bear in mind that by the end of 2023, Ben Brown will be 32, Gawn nearly 33, May 32, Tom McDonald 32, Viney 30 and a whole heap of their other players 28-29. He may feel that the time would be right to close that chapter, as I feel Melbourne are likely to drop like a stone, they will be a strong for a few more years yet, but they will hit the cliff like many of us have seen to an extent with us. If our cliff is shallow (as it potentially could be with the type of talent we are seeing from our younger group) then we may be a very enticing prospect for someone like Oliver at the end of 2023.

I'd still love us to add talent like Tanner Bruhn (with either ours or Norths 2nd) this year but target the big money player the year after. Hopper is also available but clearly Oliver should be target number 1.