The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ninnie Minnie mo.
How's the 5 under 30 going?
Geelong get 1 under 20 and the kid is Brownlow quality.
**when a club like Collingwood or Geelong come to you 'hey guys are you willing to trade your 1st or 2nd pick to us?".
The 1st thing Clark and Hartley need to do is hang up and find out who they want with that pick.
Because we handed Geelong a 200+ gamer that runs like a gazelle.
We are tooo easy to deal with "hey fkstick do you want pick 19 give us Henry??"
"Hey fksticks do you want pick 12 give us your 2 1st rounder next year & the year after"
Or *smile* off and ask Essendon.
Or start a all in.

Reactions: 1 user

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Yes Z. In your own inimitable way you communicate what many of us wanted last yr. I really wanted us to make a strong play for the Hollands boy.

Still want us to go very hard for the young lad but feel it will be much more difficult this yr after his nomination.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Why would Port let him go? They’d want a high pick. You’d give that up?

Hewitt averaged 17 touches and 2.5 clearances, no one was talking him up. A few on here were keen but no one saw him going at 28 and 6. And was a free agent so they payed for him. Not sure Hewitt holds

The Lions have two Ashcroft’s coming. Ain’t no way Matho holds him out.

We need a battering ram that can help now. If Matho gives us this years numbers next year, it’s enough.
You aint giving up a first rounder for SPP. But a pick in the late 20's and you are definitely thinking about it.

Players like Mathieson just dont fit in the way we play. Yes they are battering rams and can get the clearance, but on the spread, where we are most dangerous they will be next to useless. They are not transitional mids. The same reason why we would not touch Matt Crouch.

We had to reprogram Ross to become a transitional player. If we didnt he too would have ended up another stoppage to stoppgae player like the previously mentioned.

Mathiesons & Crouches of the world are the anti-Prestias.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
You aint giving up a first rounder for SPP. But a pick in the late 20's and you are definitely thinking about it.
Port aren't taking that. Not even close. Will run top 10 in their B & F.

Port value his forward pressure and he's not even played as a mid, he's getting 17 touches a week and 1.35 clearances. Career low. Pass. Myth of a bull.

Players like Mathieson just dont fit in the way we play. Yes they are battering rams and can get the clearance, but on the spread, where we are most dangerous they will be next to useless. They are not transitional mids. The same reason why we would not touch Matt Crouch.

Mathieson isn't perfect but he will be cheap. It's not who you want, it's who is available. I'd rather keep our first pick and trade a third for a Rhys, then move the farm for Taranto. Hopper maybe but I like the idea of Soldo and 19 for one of them.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

Port value his forward pressure and he's not even played as a mid, he's getting 17 touches a week and 1.35 clearances. Career low. Pass. Myth of a bull.

Mathieson isn't perfect but he will be cheap. It's not who you want, it's who is available. I'd rather keep our first pick and trade a third for a Rhys, then move the farm for Taranto. Hopper maybe but I like the idea of Soldo and 19 for one of them.
Mathieson is a massive flog. Anyone who calls themselves the barometer when they struggle to get a senior game can pee off. Don't want him anywhere near Punt Rd

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah Milesey too, we loved him but he fell out of the side for the same reason.

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

If we want a cheap clearance mid but one that could fit into our style of play, I would rather we go after P. Dow.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I mentioned Mathieson a month or so when he couldn't get a game.

I know he's a bit of a tool, but as I said then, and you said, he wouldn't cost a great deal. Had 24 times for 414 metres gained and went at 75% against Carlton on the weekend.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The target in coming years should be King from the Gold Coast. Chol is shining without him so his importance is reducing. Let him do another year of rehab on the coast and then bring him home to replace Riewoldt
If the SeaChol influences the Suns thoughts on keeping Ben King they are in worse shape that i thought,

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The only upside about bring Mathieson in as a battering ram is that as long as he goes head first he wont be risking injury.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If we want a cheap clearance mid but one that could fit into our style of play, I would rather we go after P. Dow.
Lol you like VFL players in the AFL? Give me someone who has shown something about AFL level.

Dow is a thousand times worse than Matheison. Dow can't get a game in an average side that's screaming out for mids.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I mentioned Mathieson a month or so when he couldn't get a game.

I know he's a bit of a tool, but as I said then, and you said, he wouldn't cost a great deal. Had 24 times for 414 metres gained and went at 75% against Carlton on the weekend.
He might fail the “Richmond man” test

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Ninnie Minnie mo.
How's the 5 under 30 going?
Geelong get 1 under 20 and the kid is Brownlow quality.
**when a club like Collingwood or Geelong come to you 'hey guys are you willing to trade your 1st or 2nd pick to us?".
The 1st thing Clark and Hartley need to do is hang up and find out who they want with that pick.
Because we handed Geelong a 200+ gamer that runs like a gazelle.
We are tooo easy to deal with "hey fkstick do you want pick 19 give us Henry??"
"Hey fksticks do you want pick 12 give us your 2 1st rounder next year & the year after"
Or *smile* off and ask Essendon.
Or start a all in.
who is this brownlow quality guy please.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Lol you like VFL players in the AFL? Give me someone who has shown something about AFL level.

Dow is a thousand times worse than Matheison. Dow can't get a game in an average side that's screaming out for mids.
Numbers are identical for both Dow and Mathieson when they play AFL. Only difference one isnt a *smile*.

Carlton's strength is their midfield. They are not screaming out for mids. Odd comment.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In the space of 12 months they have gone from cap issues to chasing McStay at 450k a year, Tarranto at 750k a year and Bobby Hill.
They are similar to Geelong
They chase players and they do not hesitate to move over.
seriously Zippaddeeee get a grip

McStay is a decent player at best (Samson Ryan will turn out better than him imo) and it seems it is $600k they are offering. Bobby Hill is a decent small forward but he isn't Charlie Cameron or Eddie Betts.
Everything is speculation atm and if you think Collingwood can afford $1.5-$2million and not get rid of players then your arithmetic is a little lacking. In another post you said they would offer DeGoey $800k to stay, they must have a rubber salary cap.
Grundy is contracted but even if he left he isn't on $2 million plus a year.
You are panicking, it is the 9th August !!!!

Go and see Emma Murray and relax

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Mathieson is an underrated player on here imo. It probably stems from his barometer comments and acting like a tool against us and I get that, but it doesn't mean he can't play. I'm not saying he is a star but he would be a much better depth midfielder than some we have on our list. For instance if Brisbane offered us a swap tomorrow of Mathieson for RCD, Martyn or (probably) Dow I would take it.
Paddy Dow is a player who has questionable disposal by foot and we are steering clear of those these days
In the end the ideal fringe player for us would be the 2022 version of Brodie who went to Freo last trade period. I don't know who that is but I suspect our recruiting team are looking out for midfielders looking for a move. Is there anyone at the demons who fits that criteria as an example, Casey must have some good players as they haven't lost a game all season?