The Bounce !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Bounce !!

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Umpires head honcho Campbell wants to get rid of the bounce due its stress on umpires bodies. Do not tell SHocking or Bradley this as they will try to take the Stress out of AFL Footy.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe they should learn to bounce the ball properly.

They only bounce it after goals(as opposed to all ball ups years ago), they bounce it on well maintained grounds (as opposed to mudheaps years ago) and there are 3 of them to share the load (as opposed to 1 then 2 umpires years ago).

I reckon we should go back to the bounce around the ground. Yes it is a bit random, but it always was.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Umpires head honcho Campbell wants to get rid of the bounce due its stress on umpires bodies. Do not tell SHocking or Bradley this as they will try to take the Stress out of AFL Footy.
Did know Campbell was back in charge of the umpires, when did that happen?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Maybe they should learn to bounce the ball properly.

They only bounce it after goals(as opposed to all ball ups years ago), they bounce it on well maintained grounds (as opposed to mudheaps years ago) and there are 3 of them to share the load (as opposed to 1 then 2 umpires years ago).

I reckon we should go back to the bounce around the ground. Yes it is a bit random, but it always was.

DS

According to Wokka, its the practicing that is the issue, bouncing the thing x amount of times during the week for the occasional bounce on match day

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I just find this annoying. Its not something you can ever get really angry about or take a stance on, but it is annoying. If I was an ump it would be a matter of pride. The big precise, powerful bang into the ground to send the ball high in the air in the olden days was really something. Didn't really appreciate it at the time, took it for granted, but it was really something. It stands out like dogs balls now when you watch old footage. The old amateur umps could manage it, the new pro ones can't.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I've tried bouncing the ball like the umpire does and only end up with the ball smacking me back in the face.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I don't go to the footy to watch umpires bounce a ball, and am merely frustrated when they muck it up.

I'd rather umpires could concentrate on decision-making than bouncing.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Yep, I've turned full circle & now agree, do away with it & let them concentrate on decision making
I think they should keep it to the extent of doing away totally with the throw up around the ground. Forget about recalling the bad bounces. And why we are at it get rid of the ruck nomination too.
I really like the added randomness this would bring which, by itself, would open up the game. I hate how the game is being homogenised. This is one of the reasons the game has become so predictable.
Smaller ruckman and skilled midfielders will survive and prosper without the 6 foot 14 ruckmen that get a game because they are tall and the diesel Williams type smaller, slow but quick of mind and skill full midfielders can come back too rather than the huge bulls like Cripps.
Prove me wrong. :p

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
was watching an old game from the 70's the other day and the umps were bouncing the ball in the mud.

• Wow

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I've tried bouncing the ball like the umpire does and only end up with the ball smacking me back in the face.
:mhihi I know how you feel. Many, many, many er many years ago when I was at uni a mate of mine and I umpired junior footy for a bit of cash. The first training session was hilarious. I smacked myself in the face at least once and my mate's first attempted bounce rolled along the ground straight in front of him for at least 15 metres :rotfl2

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
like I said, I can't mount a strong argument to keep it, like cracker night, fish and chip shops that make their own chips, cigarettes, I can see all the arguments why these things aren't around or they shouldn't happen, but it they were still great.

• Haha