The day a Tiger legend was born | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The day a Tiger legend was born

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
11:28:29 AM Fri 21 March, 2003

It was 25 years ago . . .

The Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive" was rocketing to No. 1 on the music charts, while at Punt Road Oval, a pint-sized teenager was preparing to "Eat 'em Alive" at the start of what was to be a magnificent VFL/AFL career.

Dale Weightman's senior debut for Richmond was in the opening round of the 1978 season, against the arch enemy, Carlton, at the MCG.

The man affectionately (and most appropriately) known as "The Flea", was somewhat surprised when I mentioned to him recently that he was about to celebrate the "Silver Anniversary" of his league debut.

These days he's so busy in his roles as Richmond's Player Welfare/Development Manager, the Club's match-day runner and as father to three young boys that he seldom has time to reminisce on his playing career.

But there was no way I was going to let such an "Anniversary milestone" pass without some comment straight from the Flea's mouth . . .

"I remember coming off the premiership the year before (1977) in the under 19s. I had a pretty good ally there in Donny Davenport. He was the coach and he was pushing me up", Weightman said.

"Donny had mentioned me to Tony Jewell, who was coaching the seconds at that stage. He said, You've got to see this bloke, I reckon he's going to be a real good player."

"TJ saw me and "The General" (Mark Lee) playing and he thought I should have been riding in the first at Flemington! But I like the big bloke, he said."

Weightman's pre-season form in 1978 was impressive and no less a judge than big Neil Balme (dual Tiger premiership player and these days Collingwood's Football Operations Manager) gave him the thumbs up.

"The week before the season started Balmey said to me, "I reckon you'll be in the side (for the opening round clash with the Blues)". He just had a feeling that the selectors were going to give me a chance right from the start of the season."

Confirmation of his Round 1, 1978 selection came from an unusual source - a cleaner at the Club.

"Johnny Gost, who I was living with in Murphy Street, Richmond, ran the gym at Punt Road Oval and also had a cleaning business," Weightman said.

"His son, Stephen, who is now a doctor, was a student at the time and did some part-time work as a cleaner at the Club.

He came home on the Wednesday night, I think it was, and said, "Don't tell anyone, but you're in the side. It's up on the board in the match committee room . . ."

Sure enough, the next night my name was read out when the teams were announced on radio, as they were back in those days. I was rapt, but also a little bit in awe.

I thought, wow, we're playing Carlton, Richmond's arch rival, in my first game. Like a lot of young players making their debut, I wasn't sure how the other blokes were going to accept me.

But the likes of Balmey, 'Woody' (Bryan Wood) and 'Sheeds' (Kevin Sheedy) were really good and made me feel most welcome.

Balmey was probably the one that stood out. He said that he'd look after me, which was great.

I reckon I weighed about 65 kilograms at the time, so I probably could have ridden in the first at Flemington! It was certainly comforting to know that I had the full support of tough, experienced campaigners like Balmey.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
When the big day arrived, Flea was given a lift to the game by his good mate, The General.

Upon arrival at Punt Road Oval for a team meeting, he was stunned to see a veritable feast laid on for the players.

"It was a classic. They had a barbecue going and everyone was tucking into steak and eggs and I'm thinking, Christ almighty, what's going on here!", Weightman said.

"I only used to eat a bit of toast and honey before a game, so it was a real culture shock for me."

Barry Richardson, who was Richmond's coach in '78, told Weightman he had total faith in him.

"He said something along the lines of, "You've worked hard enough and you've deserved your chance, so go out there and enjoy it". I suppose the thing was, with KB (Kevin Bartlett) being rover, there was no chance of me getting too much time on the ball. I knew that from the outset."

"So I was basically confined to a forward pocket and I realised that if I was going to be there and stay in the side I had to kick some goals. That didn't worry me, though, because I used to kick goals all the time."

What Flea wasn't accustomed to, however, was the size factor associated with league football.

"I remember walking out on to the ground and all the players looked so big. I'm thinking, how am I going to get a kick here?", Weightman said.

"There were about 50,000 people there and the roar they made was just incredible. Bloody hell, it's a bit different to Mildura, was my reaction."

"But that's when your instincts take over and you think, oh well, it's a game of footy, and if it comes my way, I'm going to go for it and see how I go. Luckily enough, I got into it early on."

"I still remember, the ball was round about the half-forward line, I've run out, got it, turned around and Bruce Doull's there. I actually managed to dodge him, before steadying and kicking the ball as long as I could at the goals."

"Thank Christ The General was the one in the goal square because he couldn't take a mark (laughs), so he just shepherded it through and the Richmond crowd's erupted. I'd kicked a goal with my first kick in league football and it was an unbelievable feeling."

"We went on to have a huge win and I kicked three goals and had a few touches, so I was on top of the world."

Following the game, Flea celebrated upstairs at the 'G, with his teammates.

"We had a few beers and some sandwiches at the official after-match function", he said.

"Then, when I got home it was just an awesome, unbelievable feeling."

"You're bruised and you're sore and all that, but you've had a big win and you think, this is alright, isn't it!"

"Fortunately, I lasted a few more years . . ."

The icing on the cake as far as Flea's debut was concerned came the next day on Channel Seven's ever-popular World of Sport program.

"In those days, they had a Play of the Day segment and I won it first-up for a passage of play where I've got the ball out of the centre, dodged a couple of blokes, given the handball off to Clokey (David Cloke) and we've ended up with a goal."

"I got a TV for winning the Play of the Day, and I remember thinking, how good's this!"

"In hindsight, the TV was probably worth more than what I got at the end of the year! I ended up clearing $395 for about 18 games that season and I reckon color TV's back then cost a bit more than that."

Flea's Debut Match Details
RICHMOND 5.7 12.11 18.13 25.24 (174)
CARLTON 3.3 7.7 11.11 14.13 (97)

GOALKICKERS -- RICHMOND: Edwards 7; Cloke 7; Monteath 4; Weightman 3; Dickson, Bartlett, Walsh, Raines. CARLTON: McConville 3; Walls 3; Catoggio 2; Keogh 2; Maclure 2; Sheldon, Harmes.

BEST PLAYERS -- RICHMOND: Cloke, Raines, Walsh, Bartlett, Wood, Edwards. CARLTON: McKay, McConville, Armstrong, Catoggio, Whitnall, Jesaulenko.