The Good 'ol days when every game had the same conditions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Good 'ol days when every game had the same conditions

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
There was a great EJ moment on AW one morning. They were doing a Geelong game and Teddy used to work for GL or KRock as it became. He was there and so the AW guys asked him into their box for a chat and to take a few calls. One of their callers was a regular who called himself Barry from the Bush. He unloaded on EJ about some of his calls as a Big V selector and Teddy predictably lost it. He told Barry to go and get stuffed before they went to an ad and Teddy stormed out of the box, it was radio gold.

Reactions: 1 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I didn't get to much cricket as it clashed with cherry season, but i did get to a Benson & Hedges 1 day final versus the Windies at the G, the one that drew well over 90,000.

I was sitting on the top deck of what was the northern stand and there was all forts of food being thrown around by the crowd. So you had one eye on the cricket, and one eye to your right where the apples and oranges etc were flying in from, and then getting pelted back to.

A few rows in front of me was some big woggy looking dude in a white singlet, a permed hair style shaved sides which was popular at the time. Every time something landed near him, he'd stand up with his elbows cocked out (same strategy as a cat that arches it's back to look bigger i guess) and he'd survey the crowd to the right, trying to look threatening.

Being in close proximity to him, meant that a lot of the projectiles were landing right in my area.

There was 3 or 4 guys in the seats just behind him who were (vegans stop reading at this point at you may have to find your safe place to sit) devouring a whole roast chicken, tearing bits of flesh off the carcas as they went.

The one in the seat directly behind "Fabio" stood up with the carcas and smashed it right into his perm. The springy nature of his hairdo saw what didn't get stuck in the perm get airborn probably better than when the thing was still alive. Of couse the crowd around erupted into cheering. Fabio jumped up and looked around at the guy still standing behind him, who pointed out to the right where all the projectiles had been coming from.

Fabio cocked his elbows out and started scanning the crown again, hair adorned with half a chicken carcas.

It was the highlight of my day, though it would have been even better had the remnants attracted seagulls to his bonce!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I was thinking of my footy routine in the 70's just the other day.

I was pretty young back then and lived on a cherry orchard in the outer east. You'd watch League Teams on a Thursday night, read the team sheet in the Sun when you got home from school.

Saturday, get through the farm chores and go through the paper to see which adio station we were on and the experts selections. The choices were 3ZK with the Captain and the Major, 3AW with Harry and that really really old dude crossing from other grounds, 3LO and 3GL. Then of course there were 3DB and 3UZ which gave you a glimpse between horse races (hated those stations).

Then i'd head off with my brothers to a quiet coirner of the farm, usually where the old barn was. The old barn was in ruin, but had a massive over grown garden around it. We'd settle in there and ride every bump.

After the game, bearingin mind this meant all games were finished, i'd run down to Wandin to get the Sporting Globe straight off the press. Can still remember Roach's mark filling the front page.

That night you'd sit and watch the Winners etc.

Sunday you'd walk to Wandin for the Sunday PRess and the Sunday Observor.

Then Monday, hang sh!te on all your mates, or get it hung on you depending on the results, swap Scanlons Footy cards and kick the footy all lunch time.

Get home and read the Sun and check the Sunscore.

Those were the days!

Of course the routine was a little different when i'd get to games, if an older brother was driving down. That would happen 6 or 7 times a year.

Thanks Frickenel, great recounting.