The Hawks, just - By Rodney Eade | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Hawks, just - By Rodney Eade

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
The Hawks, just
5:10:24 PM Wed 23 April, 2003
Rodney Eade
afl.com.au

This game will give everybody an indication of where both the Hawks and Tigers are at.

The Tigers embark on a tough five-week stretch starting with the Hawks and after a disappointing start, have lifted themselves with three solid wins, albeit against struggling teams. To win these games without Brad Ottens, Ben Holland and at times, Matthew Richardson, will give the group a great deal of confidence.

Hawthorn has been heavily scrutinized in the media, but like Richmond, has played just one bad game. The Hawks have been missing five or six key players and will welcome the return of Nathan Thompson. Not much will be expected of him but his height will help ease the load on Peter Everitt and Jade Rawlings.

The Hawks rely on hard-running, obviously led by Shane Crawford and must maintain their intensity and pressure on the opposition for four quarters.

The Tigers seem to have more structure in their side of late and the improvement in young midfielders such as Mark Coughlan, David Rodan and Tim Fleming has eased concerns over their slow midfield.

Game Plan: Both sides like to have extra numbers in defence.

The Hawks use it to generate run and will use handball in an attempt to release a ‘free’ runner, while the Tigers do so in order to restrict the opposition scoring.

More than most opponents, the Tigers will regularly flood, and through Kane Johnston – a very good acquisition – and Coughlan, they are winning a great deal more hard balls. This then enables Mark Chaffey, Greg Tivendale, Aaron Fiora and Joel Bowden to run forward with more confidence.

Hawthorn must match the Tigers in tight, but with Thompson back, will have an array of tall forwards to catch the Tigers out. Greg Stafford and Ray Hall will camp in defence to help out their teammates.

What the coaches will be thinking: Peter Schwab’s main thoughts will be around Richardson, Bowden and Wayne Campbell and how to gain an advantage around stoppages.

Jonathan Hay is the obvious choice for Richardson, Angelo Lekkas could take Campbell and Rayden Tallis be left for Coughlan. Tallis could also play on Bowden, but Bowden’s height advantage could be a problem – especially if he goes forward.

Campbell Brown is another option for Bowden, although Schwab may consider having one player for Bowden in the midfield, such as Tallis, and another for him in defence such as Brown or Ben Dixon.

Peter Everitt is crucial for Hawthorn’s success. His ruckwork and mobility around the ground will concern Danny Frawley. Perhaps Stafford can do ruckwork, with Ray Hall being the designated “run-with” player.

Schwab will also pay attention to Chaffey’s run out of defence and the free-wheeling play of Fiora and Tivendale, so expect those two to be targeted with constant pressure.

When David Loats rucks, probably against Stafford, Frawley will be faced with three tall Hawthorn forwards. Rawlings will be shadowed by Andy Kellaway, but will have a height and athleticism advantage. Darren Gaspar will take Thompson, which leaves Everitt and it would not surprise if Royce Vardy was handed that challenge, or perhaps Hall.

Frawley, like every coach, will give some thought to curbing Shane Crawford and he as two options. One is to place his best player and captain – Campbell – on him in an attempt to wear him down. Personally, with the leadership and form shown by Campbell, I would opt with him because he can match Crawford’s run as well as being able to run off him and set up the Tiger play.

The other is to rotate two or three taggers on Crawford, perhaps a combination of Matthew Rogers, Rodan and even Clinton King back from the VFL.

X-Factor: Both teams have players with a great deal of talent, but who do not display it consistently. For these sides to play in the finals, these players need to play well week in and week out.

Bowden is the main one with extreme talent who needs to follow his captain’s lead. He can win games on his own but needs to work harder when things aren’t going well.

Joel Smith is a player the Hawks need running out of defence and setting up the play. At times, his work rate drops below acceptable and he struggles fitness-wise if the opposition takes him into the midfield.

Daniel Harford and Rory Hilton both have had many injuries, but have now played enough football to produce consistently.

The ultimate ‘x-factor’ player for Hawthorn is Tallis, who is not very fashionable but a complete opposite to the previous four players. He works hard consistently, and his form of late is the best of his career. He is getting under the guard of the opposition and must be paid some respect.

The Verdict: This looms as a very tight game. Both teams will be confident and aggressive. Everitt could be the key to the result with his ruckwork and ability to kick goals. The Tigers have improved their run but still might not match the Hawks in this area, particularly after just a five-day break and having played at Telstra Dome on Monday. With Thompson back, Rawlings in good form and Hay able to hold Richardson, the Hawks should win a close one by seven points.

I think our players have more talent than the Hawthorn players, but I agree with Rocket that height is going to play a huge part (assuming that it will be dry that is - let's hope it's not!) in deciding how this game turns out. I wouldn't be confident in bringing in Vardy to curb one of the Hawthorn talls and that leaves Ben Holland, and i don't think he's quite ready for it.

I think we will be better in the midfield (fingers crossed Cambo gets over his corky) and we seem to be working well with our forward line, with lots of players stepping up and kicking goals (Houlihan, Cameron and a string of midfielders), so we should have to much firepower for the Hawks backline. If we can quell their forwards, we will win the game.

The 5 day break will play a major part in Saturdays game and assuming we don't just have an off day it will be the difference.

Over the last 3 weeks there has been a signifanct improvement in our play which has been based on aggressive attack on the ball and hard running, something the poor lads just aren't used to. I hope it doesn't happen but I expect after half time as the players become tired, you will see them revert back to old habits and Hawthorn will just overrun them.

Still, maybe Hawthorn will have a bad day.

What I have seen of Hawthorn so far this year hasn't impressed me (granted they have had key players out but so have we). Melbourne and especially Port tore them apart, they just got over the line against WC with the last kick for goal in Tassie and they overran Sydney in the second half at home. Sure Everitt and Loats dictated terms against Sydney (as did Freo's ruckman) but Sydney, in Ball and Goodes, has one of the worst ruck divisions in the league. Both Everitt and Loats will find it alot tougher against in form Stafford and Hall.

IMO Eade has overstated the importance of the Hay/Richo match-up in terms of us being contained up forward. The last three weeks has shown that we don't need Richo to kick a bag anymore for us to kick a winning score. We are finally getting a significant number goals out of our midfield and small forwards (Houlihan, Cameron). Richo will run around hard like he has, leading upfield to either create a marking option or as a decoy to drag a couple of opposition defenders with him leaving say a houlihan or whoever is pushing forward from the midfield as the free forward target near goal. If Richo does get on top of Hay inside 50 then that's a bonus for us.

My main concern is how we will cope with the 5 day break rather than what Hawthorn will do. Hope the physios and medicos can get the boys up and firing for the game. It'll be a great effort if they win.

Better stop and leave something for my preview ;D.