The "Lace up" jumper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The "Lace up" jumper

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
ToO - if you go to my photo site you will see some pics of very old Tigers of Old who wore lace-ups long before KB came on the scene.

One day I'll get to paste the rest of my collection.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/tigerstuff/PersonalSpace.aspx?_

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
So Roar, now i know what you look like. So dont be suprised if I come up to you at the footy and say "It's your shout Roar!"

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
As I recall, they were made in South Australia.

As an early teenager, I took one of my school shirts, removed the sleeves, dyed it black and, with the help of my mum's sewing machine, fashioned it into a Tiger lace up footy jumper. First time it was washed the dye ran everywhere.

Yeh, it was really special to me until some StKilda supporter suddenly turned up one day with an authentic StKilda lace-up guernsey. It went into mothballs after that.

Skills

Tiger Champion
Apr 19, 2004
Inner City
I have a friend who couldn't get his hands onto a "lace-up", so his mum introduced a "zip" down the front of the jumper. Looked strange, but this guy was an absolute gun!
Trained at Carlton & Collingwood, but was never the same player without the "zip-up" jumper ;)

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Saw on another site that Rugby league clubs are producing 'retro' style jumpers for purchase.
I reckon if the club replicated these old lace ups with the Tetley & VFL logos that they'd be a good seller.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=221757

If anyone cares I thought this was an interesting article by Rhett Bartlett.

The page seems to have been moved/removed.

Nov 23, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Saw on another site that Rugby league clubs are producing 'retro' style jumpers for purchase.
I reckon if the club replicated these old lace ups with the Tetley & VFL logos that they'd be a good seller.

i'm the proud owner of an original micheal roach lace up with the tetley logo & plastic number 8
label inside say's vic hill "premiership" football jackets adelaide

Mr Richmond

1980 - thats 36 years ago!
May 4, 2007
Ballarat
Tigers of Old said:

Absolutley ToO, I'd buy one and given it represents the time we were last successful, they'd sell out

haveago

Tiger Cub
May 12, 2007
I drove my Dad nuts until he ordered me a lace up from Adelaide. I was about 9 and I still have it. I don't think my son will wear it when he gets older. The lace up would look ridiculous to kids these days. Damn I loved that jumper more than anything.

michael roach

Tiger Superstar
Oct 6, 2009
Tigers of Old said:

They look brilliant those old jumpers and would sell pretty well, but I don`t think the current sponsors allow it.

The club brought out a 1980 memorabilia piece and it doesn`t have the Tetley logo on it.

1980%203001.jpg

sashback

Our saviour??
Aug 22, 2005
Bloody awesome they were.

Used to love playing in mine, I was the only player in our league wearing one. ;D

I had 3 lace-ups from Vic Hill, 1 Richmond jumper, 1 Melbourne jumper which was what my team wore in my younger days, and a Geelong lace up that I was given.

What did I do with them??
I gave them to a young "star"we had in our juniors, he stopped playing the year after and gave them away!
Didn't give then back to me did he? Not happy. :(

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
michael roach said:
They look brilliant those old jumpers and would sell pretty well, but I don`t think the current sponsors allow it.

The club brought out a 1980 memorabilia piece and it doesn`t have the Tetley logo on it.

Good point Disco. Shame.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Tigers of Old said:

I bought my old man a Balmain one, complete with Phillips advertising across the front a couple of years back. The thing that most impressed me with it was that it was made out of the old style material. Lasts heaps longer.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I still rmember lace ups being quite popular in WA in the early 80's.

As a kid, I recall a lot of older players still wearing them to training.

Might have looked good, but they were responsbile for more than a few broken fingers in their time.

Joe Lynn Turnip

Tiger Superstar
Nov 8, 2009
michael roach said:

The League clubs have somehow managed to get around the sponsors issue with their retro jerseys. All theirs have the original sponsors. In fact you can buy for example Parramatta's from 1976 with DUX as well their 80's jerseys with James Hardie. Can't get their Famous Grouse era jersey that was in between though.

Love to see RFC bring out old fleece jumpers with the VFL logo. Hell I'd be happy if we get a stand alone VFL side and they sold their jumpers.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If I remember correctly lace ups were banned by the AFL because there were a lot of players getting finger injuries getting them caught in the gap at the front of the jumper .

The evolution of jumpers is amazing really. The rugby union guys are now wearing these skin tight ones and there are complaints that its harder to tackle the player and that in the scrums the opposition players used to grap the jumper to bind and they can no longer do that leading to more penalties .

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
When I was a kid I cut my woolen jumper down the middle, put holes in it and stringed shoelaces through it. Didn't come up all that well though!

I seem to recall Robbie Flower got a nasty finger injury from getting his finger caught in one and that led to their demise.

They seemed to be more popular in South Australia back in the 1970s and 1980s- almost every picture you see of a Sturt player in those days was wearing a lace-up.