The mountain has chosen | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The mountain has chosen

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The mountain has chosen. Sometimes it isn't sought. Sometimes it isn't an object of desire. Until you realize you're standing at base camp and you're in love again.

How to sum up our emotions at the foot of this current mountain? Looking up, it's the most fearsome peak yet - filled with hidden valleys, haunted by storms, cursed by maddening false promises and cold, empty dead-ends.

Mr Damien Hardwick has done it again. A mailman delivering on time, as promised, despite copping more than one flat tire along the way. Players old and new speak passionately about his undying capacity to motivate, to enthrall, to elicit the very best from a man's soul. Experts, fans and coaches alike talk of 'rewiring', of 'refreshing', of 'renewal'. That's precisely where we sit, as confronting as it might seem. The glittering era of 2017-2020 is but a brilliant memory - alive, but intangible. In many respects, gone. This team is on a heist run - should we claim the unthinkable, it would be a bandit raid to eclipse Hawthorn of 2008, Adelaide of 1997 and a host of other thieves in the night.

So many stories to this most unlikely of finals runs. A club meandering for much of the year has found its purpose, its collective resolve. A seed has been planted, a narrative has gathered glorious momentum. We know our coach loves nothing more than a good story, told both in furious bursts and quiet moments over a long campaign. As always, those without the ultimate success, whose who look sideways at premiership cups and medallions, ride high in the players' imaginations. Robbie Tarrant, hardened knight at the end of his crusades. Tyler Sonsie, elegant teen discovering the layered universe of his silky ability for the first time. Maurice Rioli Junior, brilliant starburst plastering smiles on faces all over the country.

The mountain has chosen. This club has been imperiously successful for some time now and in some respects grown fat off the land. We could forgive some players for failing to find the rabid, feral edge that turned them into junkyard dogs in previous campaigns. We could forgive some players for finding nothing but pleasant reflection inside where once a dark resolve glittered like a knife in the night. We could forgive our club for charting a stately course to the next halcyon crop of stars, a frontier for other leaders, other coaches, other dreamers.

But the mountain has chosen. We stand in the furnace once more, where there is nothing else to do but fight for your life. The crucible is near - the darkest, most sinister challenge I've seen. As foreboding as the next month must surely be, I am equally certain that fear has been eradicated from the fabric of this amazing, amazing club. Whatever is thrown at us in battle tonight, we will raise the fight.

The mountain has chosen. In so many ways we didn't seek it. But rising to meet the coming storm could result in the sweetest victory of all.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Now, that's some sermon on/from the mountain, Carts.
I applaud your passion.
I BELIEVE the Tigers can scale that mountain.
Tonight they set off from base camp.
The starting steps to planting the premiership flag when reaching the pinnacle on the last Saturday in September.
GO TIGERS

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
We stand here with history beckoning. This would be our greatest premiership.

I believe!!

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2020

Tiger Rookie
Nov 6, 2020
Feels like 2016 when no one in the media gave the bulldogs a chance before the finals

Attachments

• FbjUV_5UsAAhTWH.jpeg
    FbjUV_5UsAAhTWH.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 9

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
One week at a time is a cliche but a very apt one. To be amongst that sea of red, white and blue predicted by the scribes we have to earn it and that starts tonight.

Brisbane are the mountain in front of us not Geelong, Melbourne or the swans ...............not yet

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
One week at a time is a cliche but a very apt one. To be amongst that sea of red, white and blue predicted by the scribes we have to earn it and that starts tonight.

Brisbane are the mountain in front of us not Geelong, Melbourne or the swans ...............not yet
Yep one quarter at a time from here on in, then each game.

A win tonight will send a few shots across the bow especially for Melbourne and Sydney.

Should the Tigers get through past Brisbane tonight then we meet an opponent in a SF with losing form whilst our momentum is continuing.

Reactions: 1 users