The Music Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Music Thread

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't think The Stones have played Under my Thumb for quite a while. Times change, things change. The lyrics of Brown Sugar are typically ambiguous, a lot of Stones lyrics are open to many interpretations. It remains a brilliant song but the lyrics are certainly of their time, which was 50 years ago.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Summed up brilliantly in a newspaper comment.

Right: "I don't like that song and I'm not going to listen to it."
Left: "I don't like that song and you're not going to listen to it."

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yep, it was all those commie leftie governments of Menzies in the 1950s who banned books, bloody commie lefty that Menzies.

DS

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Who is stopping the Stones from playing it? Seems to me like its a decision they made themselves

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Who is stopping the Stones from playing it? Seems to me like its a decision they made themselves

Yeah, and one of the comments from Mick Jagger was that Brown Sugar has been on their set list for 50 years so maybe time to give it a break. Still one of the best opening riffs to a record ever, such a crisp clean riff. Still, Gimme Shelter is a pretty good start to a record too.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It's a little bit murky with Keith Richards saying only "I'm trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is". No doubt similar offence-taking forces that saw One In A Million omitted from the Guns n' Roses box set, and Dire Straits' Money For Nothing banned from the radio in Canada some years ago.

Personally I find rap music to be largely lacking in talent and on occasion, mildly offensive, but I don't care what others listen to.

No shortage of people lining up to can the song over the years (they were also banned from playing it in China in 2006).

The uncomfortable reality of The Rolling Stones song 'Brown Sugar'
The problem with the Rolling Stones' 'Brown Sugar'
Should Black Women Hate ‘Brown Sugar’?
The Rolling Stones will no longer play Brown Sugar and it's about damn time

Last edited:

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It's a little bit murky with Keith Richards saying only "I'm trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is". No doubt similar offence-taking forces that saw One In A Million omitted from the Guns n' Roses box set, and Dire Straits' Money For Nothing banned from the radio in Canada some years ago.

Personally I find rap music to be largely lacking in talent and on occasion, mildly offensive, but I don't care what others listen to.

No shortage of people lining up to can the song over the years (they were also banned from playing it in China in 2006).

The uncomfortable reality of The Rolling Stones song 'Brown Sugar'
The problem with the Rolling Stones' 'Brown Sugar'
Should Black Women Hate ‘Brown Sugar’?
The Rolling Stones will no longer play Brown Sugar and it's about damn time

Didn't realise One in a Million was left out of the GnR box set. Still available on Spotify. Pretty offensive lyrics but the Gunners have plenty of others that would be questionable too.

John Lennon said he regretted Run For Your Life and it would be no chance of getting air play today. Not a fan of Country music but would think there would be some dodgy lyrics hidden away. And Rap does seem to get a free pass compared to other genres.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I've wondered why there's been no backlash against Tom Jones and "Delilah"

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Didn't realise One in a Million was left out of the GnR box set. Still available on Spotify. Pretty offensive lyrics but the Gunners have plenty of others that would be questionable too.

John Lennon said he regretted Run For Your Life and it would be no chance of getting air play today. Not a fan of Country music but would think there would be some dodgy lyrics hidden away. And Rap does seem to get a free pass compared to other genres.

I always found Run for your Life a bad ending to Rubber Soul, sort of broke the mood of the album, the lyrics are bloody awful. Song isn't their best either.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I've wondered why there's been no backlash against Tom Jones and "Delilah"
Yeah not sure either. Like Pumped Up Kicks or even My Sharona the cheerful tone and vibe of the song belies the dark lyrics.

There is a plethora of songs about men wanting to or having sex with underage girls.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah not sure either. Like Pumped Up Kicks or even My Sharona the cheerful tone and vibe of the song belies the dark lyrics.

There is a plethora of songs about men wanting to or having sex with underage girls.
Elvis was 24 when he started dating 14 yr old Priscilla.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Stray Cat Blues.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If she's turned fourteen she's a rock 'n' roll queen
And you can give her anything you choose

- Cold Chisel, I'm Gonna Roll Ya

Also an odd movie called Wanda Nevada starring a 40-ish Peter Fonda and 13yo Brooke Shields which contains blatant overtones of pedophilia. I kinda like the film but it would never be made today.

Along similar lines, an obscure Eastwood-directed movie named Breezy which is very much a product of its time. While the title character is not quite underage, the film seeks to legitimise her relationship with a mid-50's William Holden. Only seen it once and thought it was quite well-acted but again, wouldn't be made today. Apparently it just wasn't the taboo it is now.

Last edited:

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
If she's turned fourteen she's a rock 'n' roll queen
And you can give her anything you choose

- Cold Chisel, I'm Gonna Roll Ya

Also an odd movie called Wanda Nevada starring a 40-ish Peter Fonda and 13yo Brooke Shields which contains blatant overtones of pedophilia. I kinda like the film but it would never be made today.

Along similar lines, an obscure Eastwood-directed movie named Breezy which is very much a product of its time. While the title character is not quite underage, the film seeks to legitimise her relationship with a mid-50's William Holden. Only seen it once and thought it was quite well-acted but again, wouldn't be made today. Apparently it just wasn't the taboo it is now.
You can add many of Woody Allen's pedophilia base films to the list too (somehow disguised as art because everyone loves Woody).

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You can add many of Woody Allen's pedophilia base films to the list too (somehow disguised as art because everyone loves Woody).

Not sure which characters in Allen films were underage and hence qualify them as being pedophilic.