The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
TigerForce said:
The Penthouse Club that's it. I was a kid but she was very funny and always got on well with Mike. I read about her private life which is definitely sad. She lived in South Melbourne but was a mad Tigers fan. One scene I always remember on The Penthouse Club was her & Mike holding hands and running quickly to another room to do the Tattslotto draw.....live! I had to remind Dad every time as he was a mad Tatts player.
Didn’t know Mary was a Tiger, her sister Peg was, and her grandniece and Frank’s granddaughter Marieke Hardy was Fitzroy. Did Mike Williamson have a team? I think he just liked the game.

duddelist

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2011
I am 52 years old watching the big replay on Saturday night in front of a briquette fire listening to mike was priceless. Wouldn’t swap my era for today’s for anything kids of today have no idea about the times thanks mike for the enjoyment

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
TT33 said:
The Penhouse Club with Mary Hardy. I think she was a mad Tigers fan. A very funny but tragic lady. Suffered quite badly from depression iirc.

Her brother Frank Hardy wrote the novel "Power Without Glory" based on the story of Businessman John Wren & termed the name "Carringbush" for Collingwood the suburb & footy club.

When FTA television was watchable.

penthouseclub2-681x429.jpe

duddelist

Tiger Rookie
Jul 13, 2011
Yeah should ha e mentioned the penthouse club loved it, not going to mention the crap commentators today who are complete buffoons. Anyone care to name them.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
duddelist said:
Yeah should ha e mentioned the penthouse club loved it, not going to mention the crap commentators today who are complete buffoons. Anyone care to name them.
No but in those days we had mike Williamson, butch gale, Doug Heywood, Tony Charlton, Geoff leek, Ian Cleland and on radio the captain and the major, Harry beitzel, Bill Jacobs, Clark Hanson, Smokey Dawson and the list goes on. The halcyon days of commentary imo.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fond memories of Mike Williamson hosting children-oriented footy events at the major shopping centres in the late 70's /early 80's. Had to ask the old man who he was. "You know the 1967 Grand Final replay that we watched on the Footy Marathon..."

At Forest Hill there was KB and I think Russell Greene. They had a footy trivia shootout and one of the questions was what number Jack Titus wore. Pretty sure KB got it right.
At Knox City with Sheedy and Trevor Barker, I won a Richmond footy signed by Sheedy in a handball comp. Sheedy told the old man I handballed like Ron Barassi. He lied.
Another time at Knox City during school holidays it was Michael Roach and Peter Knights. I remember Roachy arriving a tad late and being quite shy and deferential towards Knights.

R.I.P.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I thought Williamson had passed away years ago.

I was only saying to my wife last week how I hated Saturday nights as a kid having to watch TPC (remembering there was only ONE tv in the house and dad ruled it) and them breaking to cross to the trots!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
TT33 said:
The Penhouse Club with Mary Hardy. I think she was a mad Tigers fan. A very funny but tragic lady. Suffered quite badly from depression iirc.

Her brother Frank Hardy wrote the novel "Power Without Glory" based on the story of Businessman John Wren & termed the name "Carringbush" for Collingwood the suburb & footy club.

Mary definitely was a Tiger fan. I recall when I was a kid watching an episode of the The Penthouse Club and she was hosting with the race caller Bill Collins (he must have been filling in for Mike Williamson). Anyway Bill was a South Melbourne supporter and we had beaten them that day. She was giving him *smile* and they even had model cars painted in the clubs' colours. She grabbed the Richmond car and smashed it into the South car :hihi

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
RIP Doris Day. if you want to see her in a more serious role which shows how good an actress she actually is, she's the female lead in Hitchcock's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
IanG said:
RIP Doris Day. if you want to see her in a more serious role which shows hos good an actress she actually is, she's the female lead in Hitchcock's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

She did well with James Stewart in that one, but I reckon Midnight Lace (1960) was a more dramatic role for her.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
RIP Tim Conway, featured in many tv shows voice overs & movies + was the guy who made the "Dorf" series of videos starting in the 80s

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
TT33 said:
RIP Tim Conway, featured in many tv shows voice overs & movies + was the guy who made the "Dorf" series of videos starting in the 80s

The dentist sketch from the carol Burnett show is generally considered one of the funniest pieces of comedy of all time. He was brilliant!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
lukeanddad said:
The dentist sketch from the carol Burnett show is generally considered one of the funniest pieces of comedy of all time. He was brilliant!

I remember him from McHale's Navy which wasn't one of my regular favourites as a kid.