The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Vale Bob Hawke.

220px-Bob_Hawke_elected_President_of_the_ACTU%2C_Paddington_Town_Hall%2C_Sydney%2C_10_September_1969_-_Uwe_Kuessner%2C_Australian_Photographic_Agency_%285757040416%29.jpg

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Hawkey bought the farm, checked out, having the big sleep, karked it! Legend. Classic timing.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
What a man, we will never again see the like of him as a politician.

A Rhodes scholar and a beer skoller.

Vale Bob.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
RIP Bob, a truly great Australian who cared about Australia & all Australians, unlike the "smilewits" currently running the country.

I wonder if we'll ever get another Prime Minister like him.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
A couple of things on Bob Hawke. Where he did so well was his conciliatory approach. He took ideas and policies that were naturally the domain of economic liberals, but was able to convince his party and the electorate to trust him, that he would institute this economic liberalist approach with adequate social safeguards in place, so that the poorer classes wouldn't be completely burnt in the process. And would get an adequate share of the spoils.

He was the ultimate, centrist PM in my mind.

I don't think a PM from the other side of the house - despite some of them being champions of economic liberalism - would have been able to achieve the same. 1) They wouldn't have been able to earn the trust of the electorate that they would intstitute such an economic agenda, while also looking out for the common man/woman, 2) A Liberal PM likely would have struggled to pull his/her party across the line to build in as extensive social safeguards as what Hawke did.

I think also (Keating has spoken of this before). When one gets elected, you get straight to work using the enormous amount of good will from the electorate, and hence, political capital, to institute your policy agenda. You never know how long this good will, will last. So don't waist a day. Essentially, go in there accepting the inevitable, that one day you will get voted out and use the limited time you have, to make the changes you've preached. The idea of a self preserving career politician, or indeed, self preserving govts holding power for the sake of holding power, is the antithesis of this.

Also, ultimately I think Hawke was simply, a nice likable bloke. Compare and contrast him to Keating, whose political positions were on the same page as Hawke, but just never had the aura of being a friendly, approachable kind of gentleman that Hawke was.