The Victorian Carnival Squads - Updated | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Victorian Carnival Squads - Updated

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
A very good thread has been sent to me by one of our PREnders. It is from Big footy and is a pretty good dialogue on who will make up the Victorian Metro & Country squads.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166639&page=1&pp=15

Thanks Stuart.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Re: The Victorian Carnival Squads

http://taccup.footballvictoria.com.au/_content/document/00043468-src.pdf

NAB AFL UNDER-18 CHAMPIONSHIPS - VICTORIAN SQUADS
MELBOURNE, JUNE 25-JULY 3

VIC METRO

DANDENONG
Daniel Nicholls
Sam Carpenter
Ryan Cook
James Magner
Nathan Jones
Shane Wright
Greg Bentley
Sam Gill
Aaron Murray

OAKLEIGH
Steven Fremantle
Marc Murphy
Myles Krakouer
Beau Dowler
Rees Thomas
Matthew Laidlaw
Andrew Ainger

NORTHERN
Ryan Jackson
Nick Carnell
Ryan Anderson
Bronik Davies

SANDRINGHAM
Josh Kennedy
Shane Valenti
Jake Muir
Matt Thomas
Robert Warnock
Simon Phillips

WESTERN
Brad Clifton
Brant Dickson
Nathan Lyons
Bachar Houli
Brad Sutcliffe

EASTERN
Lukas Marcovic
Heath Hocking
Adam Wilson
Zac Kelly
Evan Panozza
Brad Kelleher
Matt Spangher
Leigh Adams

CALDER
Brent Gordon
Matt White
Richard Douglas
Gareth Bowes
Sam Robertson

VIC COUNTRY

BENDIGO
Joel Selwood
Grant Weeks
Ben Duscher
Josh Bowe

GEELONG
Marcus Crook
Travis Boak
Clint Bartram
Danny Stanley
Sam Wormald
Ben Johnson
Jacob McGuane
Jonathan Simpkin
Mark McLeod
Mitch Cuthill
Shaun Higgins
Nick Couch
Josh Eddy

MURRAY
Marcus Drum
Alipate Carlile
Beau Muston
Paul Kenelley
Tim Looby
Matthew Bekker

NORTH BALLARAT
Bill Driscoll
Jake Dignan
Shaun Grigg
Matt Tyler
Steve Clifton
Stephen Owen

GIPPSLAND
Robert Eddy
Xavier Ellis
Benjamin Fraser
Steven O’Bryan
Scott Pendlebury
Dale Thomas
Lachlan Hansen
Chris Dunne
Ricky Delphine
Nathan Leishout
Trent West
Jay Neagle

The great note out of this is the selection of Sam Carpenter. Sam is boy with one and a half arms. He has overcome this disability, not only to play U18 football but also to be considered for representative selection.
Sam, a great effort.

Joshnbeks Dad

You want me to park where?
Oct 14, 2003

How could they leave Prior, the money ball man, out of the country squad.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Joshnbeks Dad said:

I think you'll find that, like last year, he'll be playing for NSW/ACT.
Last year he played CHF/HFF for NSW, played 2 games, was named in best in one of those games, and kicked 5 goals for an average of 2 and a half goals per game. Not bad for a boy eveyone considers too slow to be playing AFL footy.

If the 1998 U18 GF was being played again, would Cameron Ling have been overlooked for being overweight and too slow?

Joshnbeks Dad

You want me to park where?
Oct 14, 2003

Phantom said:
Joshnbeks Dad said:

Last year he played CHF/HFF for NSW, played 2 games, was named in best in one of those games, and kicked 5 goals for an average of 2 and a half goals per game. Not bad for a boy eveyone considers too slow to be playing AFL footy.

If the 1998 U18 GF was being played again, would Cameron Ling have been overlooked for being overweight and too slow?

I didn't realise that he is from NSW. Its a shame. It would have been interesting to see him in Div 1 rather than dominating div2.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Joshnbeks Dad said:
Phantom said:
Joshnbeks Dad said:

I didn't realise that he is from NSW.  Its a shame.  It would have been interesting to see him in Div 1 rather than dominating div2.

Just remember that Tambling played for NT in div2 last year.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Tigermad2005 said:
I know there is a long way to go but which kids are the standouts.

Refer to the above squad list again and look at those now highlighted.

MurrayValleyTiger

Another Famous Loss? Please, Not Again!
Jan 19, 2005
Cobram

My mail up here (and it was right regarding DELEDIO last year) is that Beau MUSTON is on fire, very much in the DELEDIO mould but just behind him at the same time last year. I s a thumping kick and deadly from 50 metres out. BOG last week (Could go top 10 this year)
CARLISLE who has some or part Fijian parentage and is a huge lump of a lad is also creating excitement.
I'll give you an update when I see them locally at some stage.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

DragicevicFan said:
Is Joel Selwood the brother of Adam (eagles) and Troy (lions)??

They all played with the SandhurstFC in Bendigo, so I'd put money at decent odds on it.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne

Phantom said:
DragicevicFan said:
Is Joel Selwood the brother of Adam (eagles) and Troy (lions)??

They all played with the SandhurstFC in Bendigo, so I'd put money at decent odds on it.

Just spoke to a recruiting manager who confirmed that Joel is the brother of Adam and Troy. He has a very high opinion of Joel, and suggested that he'll be the pick of the brothers by far.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

MurrayValleyTiger said:
My mail up here (and it was right regarding DELEDIO last year) is that Beau MUSTON is on fire, very much in the DELEDIO mould but just behind him at the same time last year.    I s a thumping kick and deadly from 50 metres out.     BOG last week (Could go top 10 this year)
CARLISLE who has some or part Fijian parentage and is a huge lump of a lad is also creating excitement.
I'll give you an update when I see them locally at some stage.

As you've read, I'm a big fan of Alipate Carlile, via his stats, also. Yes, his parents could learn a lesson on how to spell their surname correctly. I look forward to seeing him on the field soon.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004

i saw the second half of the bushies vs act game last sunday, a couple of observations on prior
didn't want to chase the full back and on one occasion a goal for act resulted as the full back ran the ball out to 50 and delivered long to chf and they goaled . if prior had chased and put pressure on him the result would have been different. later in the quarter prior giving 10 kg and 5cm away to his opponent stood body to body and out muscled him to take an incredibly strong mark .prior is not tall enough to be a key position player and this will make it very hard to be drafted as the bushies play him at full foward.the only position i could imagine that would suit him would be the foward pocket .

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

yandb said:
i saw the second half of the bushies vs act game last sunday, a couple of observations on prior
didn't want to chase the full back and on one occasion a goal for act resulted as the full back ran the ball out to 50 and delivered long to chf and they goaled . if prior had chased and put pressure on him the result would have been different. later in the quarter prior giving 10 kg and 5cm away to his opponent stood body to body and out muscled him to take an incredibly strong mark .prior is not tall enough to be a key position player and this will make it very hard to be drafted as the bushies play him at full foward.the only position i could imagine that would suit him would be the foward pocket .

Yes, that was what Cameron Ling was like at the same age. Can Prior play football?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

For those who maybe missing the Richmond v Carlton game. The trials for Vic Metro and Country are taking place at the Preston City Oval tomorrow.

Vic Country will start at 11am with a training session then a 2 quarter practice game (2 quarter game? That's an oximoron). Vic Metro will be on at 2pm with a 4 quarter game. (4 quarters, that sounds better.

For those that wish to go can. I havent made up my mind yet as Greg reckons that the better trials to visit will be the ones that occur over the long weekend in June.

jk33

Larry Legend
Apr 21, 2004

Phantom, was talking to Marcus Drum on Saturday night, he said training went ok, did you get out to Preston to have a look? As we have discussedearlier. Marcus needs to grow a couple of inches, standing next to him I would put him at 6' 3". Tanner has been playing him midfield and HFF obviously to show his versatility. What strikes me about the kid when talking to him is he is just a quality young man from agood family, very level-headed and speaks very well. I would love him a couple of inches taller and a future key backman in yellow and black.

My mate MVT posted re: MUSTON, top 10 is a BIG call MB, I look forward to seeing MUSTON in TAC game.

Your thoughts on above Phantom?

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

Phantom,
I'm wondering if you can provide any info about Tuck the younger.How has he been performing and is he a late developer who might also get under Dermies radar?

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

jk33 said:
Phantom, was talking to Marcus Drum on Saturday night, he said training went ok, did you get out to Preston to have a look?  As we have discussedearlier. Marcus needs to grow a couple of inches, standing next to him I would put him at 6' 3".  Tanner has been playing him midfield and HFF obviously to show his versatility.  What strikes me about the kid when talking to him is he is just a quality young man from agood family, very level-headed and speaks very well.  I would love him a couple of inches taller and a future key backman in yellow and black.

My mate MVT posted re: MUSTON, top 10 is a BIG call MB, I look forward to seeing MUSTON in TAC game.

Your thoughts on above Phantom?

Yes,
Marcus is listed at 190cm, a fraction under 6'3". This puts him at about the same height as young Scarlett of Geelong. Scarlett often has problems against taller opponents. Ideally, in today's game, a full back would probably need to be about 193-4cms, 6'4", Gaspar's height. Marcus is showing enough this season to indicate that he is adaptable as either a FB or HF. He will play AFL footy. Time will tell which position he excels at, and who he plays for.

Beau Muston,188, 71, is a "Deledio-styled" midfielder. He is tall, fast, and can kick goals.
So far he has played 5 games, 11 goals, 5 behinds, 66 EKs, 44 HBs, 33 Mks & 25 Tackles.
That's an average of just over 20 disps, 6 marks & 2 goals a game. Yep that puts him in the Deledio class. I must admit that I havent seen him, but look forward to doing so. Many thanks.

momentai said:
Phantom,
I'm wondering if you can provide any info about Tuck the younger.How has he been performing and is he a late developer who might also get under Dermies radar?

Yep, I've seen the younger Tuck, Travis, a couple of times. At 187,75, he is similar to both his brother, Deledio & Muston in stature. He's not quite there yet. Sofar he has played 4 games, 4 goals, 3 behinds, 33 EKs, 20 HBs, 5 Mks, 11 Tackles.
An ave of 1 goal, 8 EKs, 5 HBs, 1 Mk & 3 Tckls a game. It's not bamm magnet stuff. But then again both Tucks and Abletts are late developers. I remember that Shane had similarly unspectacular stats at the same age. The ball is in Hawthorn's court. They may have to wait 4-5 years for him.

I must admit that my knowledge of having brothers in the same team is that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. The Nankervises, the 2 older Ablett brothers, the Matthews and the Febeys are examples where it has worked. There is a host of examples where it hasnt worked. I'm not a fan of father/son or brother/brother, you take the best that is available at your pick. Conversely father/son has the advantage of taking a possible first round pick at round 2, but alternatively what is the advantage of taking a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick at round 2.

Coming back to Travis, I wish him well, but there are better players, like Muston for example that we should primarily focus on. Travis only becomes an option if Hawthorn overlooks him, and as a long term risk/reward option.

I hope I've expressed myself correctly here.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004

i have umpired him in school football where he plays in the midfield he is very good at ground level and has a large pair of hands ,unfortunatly has the ego to match. he is regularly trying to tell me how to umpire.