The Victorian Carnival Squads - Updated | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Victorian Carnival Squads - Updated

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Re: The Victorian Carnival Squads

yandb said:
i have umpired him in school football where he plays in the midfield he is very good at ground level and has a large pair of hands ,unfortunatly has the ego to match. he is regularly trying to tell me how to umpire.

Sorry Y&B,

Is that Prior, Muston or Drum whom you are talking about?

MurrayValleyTiger

Another Famous Loss? Please, Not Again!
Jan 19, 2005
Cobram

I hope to see a Bushrangers game very shortly and will have a keen eye on MUSTON, DRUM, CARLILE & PRIOR in particular.
My mail on MUSTON continues to be very strong that he is pretty good and his kicking particularly over 50 is right up there.
If all goes to plan, I hope to be telling my mate JK33 "I told you so" in a couple of years.
Looking forward to giving a run down on these players and others when they play up here soon.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

Thanks for the info on young Tucky Phanto.If he gets past the father/son I'd be inclined to punt our no2 pick on him almost irrespective of his performances in the TAC. Underline punt but given the performance of dad, uncle,cousins and of course his brother,it wd be like Kingston Town out of Pharlap? :partyfest

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

momentai said:
Thanks for the info on young Tucky Phanto.If he gets past the father/son I'd be inclined to punt our no2 pick on him almost irrespective of his performances in the TAC. Underline punt but given the performance of dad, uncle,cousins and of course his brother,it wd be like Kingston Town out of Pharlap? :partyfest

Yes, very good call. Shane at the same age was nothing marvellous. Shane also struggled in his first 2 years after first being drafted by Hawthorn. Look at Shane now.

PS: Sorry I've used the name Shane so many times but it's my middle name, and I like to use it.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004

Teams for NAB-AFL national championship trial games
10 June 2005   Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15562858%255E19897,00.html

Under-16 and under-18 teams.

Under-16s
Vic Metro v Vic Country
at Box Hill City Oval, Saturday 10.30am
Vic Metro: Tom May, Thomas Duyndam, Matthew Lobbe, Brad Jones, Phil Smith, Rhyce Prismall, Sean Alexander, Finlay Adamson, Aaron Coen, Daniel Currie, Andrew Hogan, Jye Myers, George Beatty, Jonathan Blake, Harry Croft, Brett Meredith, Adam Watson, Jake Spiteri, Samuel Sheldon, Matthew Suckling, James Saville, keith Desouza, Brent Morrow, Andy Otten, Andrew Campbell, Luke Potts, Jack Grimes, Mitchell Collins.
Vic Country: Tim Houlihan, Clayton Hinkley, Jordan Grant, Grant Ford, Justin Baxter, Matt Austin, Sam Harris, Brenton Sheehan, Ryan Normington, Jackson Hall, Robert Michaelides, Ryan Butler, Will Scholfield, Ashley Payne, Ryan Gurton, Daniel Boyle, Ben Reid, Jordan Florence, Peter Weir, Tristan Francis, James Blaser, James Bristow.

Under-16s
Vic Metro v Vic Country
at Box Hill City Oval, Saturday 1pm
Vic Metro: Nathan Black, Daniel Noy, Ben Considine, Matthew King, Hiwad Shakaib, Aaron White, Stephen Downes, Andrejs Everitt, Jarrad Grant, Brad Gilder, Will Sullivan, Dean Putt, Matthew Kreuzer, Adam Woodhams, Patrick Veszpremi, Darcy Daniher, Russell Gabriel, James Polkinghorne, Travis Dulic, Anthony Calder, Tim Bongetti, Ashely Sweet, Evan Phaedonos, Michael Dell Aquilla, Troy Hancock, James Tantsis-Hall.
Vic Country: Kane Smith, Archie Whiting, Brenton Ritchie, Blair Holmes, Sam Donaldson, Nick Stockdale, Brady Green, William Kelly, Justin Emery, Jackson Cook, Ashley Hockey, Luke Morgan, James Delahunty, Robert Touhey, Sam Stavenuiter, Sam Livingstone, Andrew Oldmeadow, Ben McEvoy, Tom Batten, Liam Jackson, John Walker, Matt Lahane.

Under-18s
Vic Country v Vic Metro
at Optus Oval, Sunday 11am
Vic Country:
Benjamin Duscher, Clint Bartram, Josh Bowe, Steve Clifton, Brad Collins, Jonathan Simpkin, Ricky Delphine, Jake Dignan, Chris Dunne, Marcus Crook, Lachlan Hansen, Josh Eddy, James Martiniello, Grant Weeks, Shaun Grigg, Shaun Higgins, Danny Stanley, Sam Wormald, Robert Eddy, Steven O'Bryan, Jake Johnson, Scott Pendlebury, Paul Kenelley, Marus Drum, Matt Tyler, Jacob McGuane, Benjamin Fraser, Trent West, Alipate Carlile, Stephen Owen, Bill Driscoll, Nathan Leishout, Tim Looby, Jay Neagle, Joel Selwood, Dale Thomas, Tom Dowd, Daniel Feery, Matthew Bekker, Jackson Sheringham.

Vic Metro:
Matthew White, Daniel Hayes, Myles Krakouer, Simon Phillips, Nick Carnell, Sam Robertson, Beau Dowler, Jake Muir, Brant Dickson, Sam Gill, David Marcius, Bachar Houli, Sam Carpenter, Bradley Kelleher, Ryan Jackson, Robert Warnock, Andrew Ainger, Matthew Spangher, Nathan Jones, Daniel Nicholls, Brad Clifton, Greg Bentley, Ben McKinley, Leigh Adams, Rees Thomas, Lukas Markovic, Ryan Anderson, Richard Douglas, Brent Gordon, Gareth Bowes, Robin Nahas, Christopher Cain, Matthew Thomas, Alex Lee, Dean Kelly, Marc Murphy, James Wall, Brad Horaczko, Josh Riddle, Nathan Lyons.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 titles: Go hard or go home
11 June 2005 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15571477%255E19897,00.html

VICTORIA Metro coach David Dickson has warned his players they won't make the final cut for the national championships if they shy away from the contest.

Metro will play trial games against Victoria Country at Box Hill today and Optus Oval tomorrow, with performances weighing heavily on the final make-up of the team for the July under-18 carnival.

Dickson said he would be picking players who epitomised the hard-at-it style that has been so successful for Metro.

"We've always been a team that's hard, closes it down, plays the game on our terms," Dickson said.

"The one-percenters is something I always look high on; tackles, knock-ons, smothers. That's a trait Metro seems to have been strong in over the years.

"I don't think we would have won five nationals in eight years if we didn't have that style of play.

"Our midfield has got to be hard; it's got to get numbers to the ball. If players want to cheat or peel off when the ball hasn't been won, then they won't play."

Vic Metro will take a squad of 33 players, plus four 17-year-olds to cover injuries, into the weekend's trial games. The final squad will be named next week.

Vic Country will field a squad of 40 players in the trials, only the second time the group has had the opportunity to come together since its initial training run in Melbourne last month.

Vic Metro and Country are not the only under-18 teams going through their paces this weekend.

Western Australia has a trial match between its under-18s and under-20s today, while South Australia had a hitout against a Woodville West-Torrens' team last night.

The Division 2 teams -- Tasmania, Queensland, Northern Territory and NSW/ACT -- will continue their preparation in the AFL's Challenge Cup at Optus Oval on Monday.

There are no TAC Cup matches this weekend.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Went down to Princes Park to watch some very tight U18 football. The game between Vic Metro v Country was interesting initially because it had 6 quarters, (go figure?) Both teams trialled 40 players over this time. It was played as 2 distinct matches, with only a small portion of the players in both halves. Unfortunately I had to leave in the 2nd half of the game, to pick up my son, so I cant speak fully about the 2nd group.

For Vic Country - not as well organised, but better raw talent.
Best players:
1. Ben Fraser,190cm, CHF, takes a strong mark, reads the play, good ground play, kicks well enough.
2. Tim Looby,186cm, BP, runs out of defense carrying the ball, can kick 60+ metres on run.

Other better players doing well were:
Brad Collins, Chris Dunne, Marcus Crook, Grant Weeks, Shaun Grigg & Daniel Feery.

Other players noted were:
Duscher, Bartram, Bowe, Simpkin, Dignan, Hansen, Martiniello, Eddy, Kenelley, Drum, Tyler, Neagle, Selwood & Bekker.

For Vic Metro there were some surprising efforts:
Best players:
1. Myles Krakouer, 180cm, rover, best game I've seen him play. Finally shown he can be a top class midfielder.
2. Daniel Hayes, 180cm, winger, first time I've seen him. Looks like Tambling, plays like Tambling.
3. Brad Kelleher, 188cm, FB - plays TAC as a CHF/HFF. Dominated his game as a FB. Looks like a real Peter Dean/Archer type. A handy pickup come draft time.
4. Brent Gordon, 178cm, centre, dominated the Metro midfield.
5. Brad Horaczko, 194cm, Ruck - can see him becoming an AFL CHB in Ray Hall mould.

Other better players:
Jake Muir, Nathan Jones, Daniel Nicholls, Luke Markovic, Ryan Anderson, Matt Thomas & Dean Kelly.

Other noted players:
Roberson, Marcius, Jackson, Warnock, McKinley, Rees Thomas, Cain, Riddle & Lyons.

It was also good to see Merv Keane there, who was there at the start but left halfway to see the Tiges at Telstra. Lovely fellow Merv.

I'll be back at Princes Park tomorrow to see the Div2 teams trial.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Disco08 said:
Chris Dunne Phantom, son or family of Emmett?

I wouldnt think so.

Chris Dunne is from Drouin, 180cm, 74kg.

Emmet Dunne lives around East Malvern, 195cm, has put on a little weight since his playing days.

Emmet is often seen at Sandy Dragon games.

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
Under-18 trials: Big wrap for big boy
13 June 2005   Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

METRO coach David Dickson yesterday declared Robert Warnock a great ruck prospect and he should know, having coached David Hille.

Dickson sang the praises of the 204cm Warnock after Victoria Metro and Victoria Country's final selection trials for next month's national under-18 championships.

The teams played two matches at Optus Oval, winning one each.

Dickson said Warnock would now be hot property with AFL scouts.

"I think he's in the draft top 10, he was outstanding," Dickson said.

"For a player at 204cm, his skills below his knees are quite incredible.

"In the eight or nine years I've coached Metro, I'd probably rate him, besides (Bomber) David Hille.

"He's an exciting prospect."

Dickson was also full of praise for the performance of Oakleigh's Robin Nahas around the ground, Sandringham forward Simon Phillips, Oakleigh's Rees Thomas and Eastern's Matthew Spangher.

The Metro squad of 30 will be trimmed to 25 this week.

Dickson said his players would have to improve their footy-smarts at the championships.

"There's a lot of work they need to do on their decision making, we've got to get a bit smarter," he said.

Country coach Leon Harris praised the efforts of Murray Bushranger key defender Marcus Drum and Bendigo onballer Joel Selwood.

Harris said the Country squad didn't have the same chances as Metro to train together.

"We're coming together all right, but we've a fair way to go," he said.

Country's final hit-out before its team is named will be against the North Ballarat Roosters' reserves on Saturday

Rob Warnock played in the 2nd half of Sunday. Must have turned it on after I left. I've got a strange feeling that David Dickson and I must have been looking at the game very differently. Don't get me wrong. I've spoken highly of these attributes of Warnock before, and of Nahas, Rees Thomas & Drum. But there seems to be a host of players who from Sunday who I'd give a bigger mention about.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Good call on Kelleher Phantom.Seen a couple of h parts of his games at chf for Eastern and he's been good both times.Interesting they tried him at FB.Will be a good player.It's a shame he's not another 5cm taller.

By god we need a decent CHB

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
evo said:
Good call on Kelleher Phantom.Seen a couple of h parts of his games at chf for Eastern and he's been good both times.Interesting they tried him at FB.Will be a good player.It's a shame he's not another 5cm taller.

By god we need a decent CHB

Yep, there are a few players who'd kill to be 2 or 3 inches taller. Ben Fraser is another who'd be a world beater at 194cm, alas he is 190cm.

But if we want a Glenn Archer type, and My God we need one, then Kelleher can play strongly down back, and as we know can go up forward and play CHF.

For CHB, I actually like the look of Brad Horaczko, currently playing in the ruck for Dandenong. He's tall, strong, very mobile, and can get the ball. Otherwise Rees Thomas of Oakleigh looks a good option at CHB.

Still, there are a new set of option from WA and SA in a fortnight to keep an eye on. There's also a young fellow from Qld called Mills who I like as well.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Hi Phantom, I have tried to find info on Matt Spangher ie: Ht Wght, position plays in etc but unable to see anything. Do you know anything about him. Would appreciate whatever you can tell us , many thanks, TT33

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
TT33 said:
Hi Phantom, I have tried to find info on Matt Spangher ie: Ht Wght, position plays in etc but unable to see anything. Do you know anything about him. Would appreciate whatever you can tell us , many thanks, TT33

Yeh, I've seen Spangher, 193cm, 84kg, 18yo, Eastern Ranges via Xavier College, so he's a good Catholic boy.
He started off with a real bang in the first couple of rounds in April, playing in the ruck. He's still playing well at CHF, but not at the same level. Kicked more goals when he was in theruck too. I know there are quite a few clubs looking at him. Peter Kennedy was raving about him at the MB v CC game.

He'll be playing for Metro Vic in the carnival. I'd prefer to wait till after then to make a judgement.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Phantom said:
TT33 said:

Yeh, I've seen Spangher, 193cm, 84kg, 18yo, Eastern Ranges via Xavier College, so he's a good Catholic boy.
He started off with a real bang in the first couple of rounds in April, playing in the ruck. He's still playing well at CHF, but not at the same level. Kicked more goals when he was in theruck too. I know there are quite a few clubs looking at him. Peter Kennedy was raving about him at the MB v CC game.

He'll be playing for Metro Vic in the carnival. I'd prefer to wait till after then to make a judgement.

Phantom, when you look around at these future prospects (assuming for Richmond), do you take their body shapes as a consideration ? (eg. draft the bigger, musclier built players before any skinnier type)

pahoffm

Mar 24, 2004
TigerForce said:
Phantom said:
TT33 said:

Phantom, when you look around at these future prospects (assuming for Richmond), do you take their body shapes as a consideration ?   (eg. draft the bigger, musclier built players before any skinnier type)

Depends on what your draft needs are.
If you're looking at drafting ready mades, then body shape, amongst other things like skills & speed, are important.
A ready made scale would be:
175-180cm ~ 70-75kg
185 ~ 80kg
190-195cm ~ 85-90kg
199cm ~ 90-95kg
Of course you'd want the weight to be in the right places.

If your needs are more long term, and you're looking to draft on the basis of expected full developed talent, and you're prepared to wait 2-3 years before playing these, then you can go for about 5kg less on each of the scales.

Examples:
Deledio (Rich), a ready made at 188/9cm ~ 85kg, he's ready to play.
Franklin (Haw), another ready made at 196cm ~ 90kg, he's ready to play.
Wood (Bris), not quite ready at 204cm ~90kg, you can see he's a bit light on.
This year's draft:
Warnock (SD), 204cm ~ 80kg, far too light to be considered ready to play.
Dowler (OC), 192cm ~ 84kg, not far off, could be ready to play next season.
Hansen (GP), 195cm ~ 84kg, again, not far off, could be ready to play next season.

Again, all these players need the skills & speed to go with their body shapes.