This should be addressed | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

This should be addressed

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
During the off season I have watched so many past Tiger games both old and from 2022.
Glaringly, we seem to be the only team that constantly gives up a score in the last couple of minutes in various quarters.
It happens so often, eg., just watched the game against Melb., last year and guess what, we gave up 2 goals in the last 2 minutes of the 1st. quarter.
Now call me paranoid, but from my perspective this is a problem that needs to be addressed by the powers that be at Tigerland.
Maybe they are aware of it and will do something about it.
Is it lack of awareness, lack of talent in the backlines, both past and present, or just bad luck?
That I do not know, but it has been obvious to me for a long time.
What do you reckon, guys and dolls?

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm sure they are very aware of this and I suspect getting Tarranto and Hopper is part of the solution given we seemed to give away easy and unpressured centre clearances near the end of quarters.

They would have been trying to address this last year but clearly did not succeed. I hope this year we can get better at the end of quarters as it was glaring last year.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
During the off season I have watched so many past Tiger games both old and from 2022.
Glaringly, we seem to be the only team that constantly gives up a score in the last couple of minutes in various quarters.
It happens so often, eg., just watched the game against Melb., last year and guess what, we gave up 2 goals in the last 2 minutes of the 1st. quarter.
Now call me paranoid, but from my perspective this is a problem that needs to be addressed by the powers that be at Tigerland.
Is it lack of awareness, lack of talent in the backlines, both past and present, or just bad luck?

Is there data that supports this? I’m not disagreeing with you btw as it feels like we gave away a lot of late goals in 2022. I wanna know if its true.

I remember a stat from the 2019 GF where half of our goals came inside the last 4 minutes of each quarter. How times have changed.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Is there data that supports this? I’m not disagreeing with you btw as it feels like we gave away a lot of late goals in 2022. I wanna know if its true.

I remember a stat from the 2019 GF where half of our goals came inside the last 4 minutes of each quarter. How times have changed.
No Ian I do not have any stats. Don't keep that sort of inf.
Someone else on here may though.
It was my observations over many games.
My wife got sick of me saying, here we go again.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW

Has been a problem for a while. Or my perception of a problem. Do all the hard work during a quarter and then give up a very late goal to undo the hard work.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Has been a problem for a while. Or my perception of a problem. Do all the hard work during a quarter and then give up a very late goal to undo the hard work.
Just as I posted TP. Hope the brain's trust at Tiger headquarters are aware of this.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I just watched the 2020 grand final and guess what? We only conceded one goal in the whole of the last quarter.

How many quarters of all the games you watched were there no goals conceded in the last few minutes, or do you just remember those that were?

Goals are worth the same in the first few minutes of a quarter as the last few minutes of a quarter, so why are you more concerned about one than the other?
Without any stats to give any sort of definitive answer, I would guess that Richmond both score and concede just as many goals in the last few minutes of a quarter than any other team. I wouldn't think that we are some sort of outlier.

With Hopper and Taranto helping to address our centre clearances, and Caeser reporting that the team are working on close finishes, this is not even worth worrying about IMO

Reactions: 1 user

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
I just watched the 2020 grand final and guess what? We only conceded one goal in the whole of the last quarter.

How many quarters of all the games you watched were there no goals conceded in the last few minutes, or do you just remember those that were?

Goals are worth the same in the first few minutes of a quarter as the last few minutes of a quarter, so why are you more concerned about one than the other?
Without any stats to give any sort of definitive answer, I would guess that Richmond both score and concede just as many goals in the last few minutes of a quarter than any other team. I wouldn't think that we are some sort of outlier.

With Hopper and Taranto helping to address our centre clearances, and Caeser reporting that the team are working on close finishes, this is not even worth worrying about IMO
You could be right Larab.
I said it was my perception, and that is what it is.
As an aside, the club might have to look at the free kick count variation from the past few years as well.
One or two on here have given the stats on that one.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
in 2017-2019 we tended to steam roll sides

2021-2022
1677042996282.png

we got outscored in the last qtr in our losses and our one draw

In some of our wins against lesser sides there was some taking the foot off the pedal late in games

I don't we can tell much from just last qtr scores but keen to see what others say

It would be great to get the clubs stats guys and opposition analysis to give their opinion on games
and who they believed changed the course of games eg ( brilliance from opposition stars , injuries to us , inexperienced players getting exposed etc )

My recollection of the season was we had periods of brilliance and we went missing for periods , and the elephant , the free kick differential
hopefully we can leave that behind us and injuries didn't help

The periods where we looked awesome I think shows the coaches can give us the game plans and we have the cattle to execute them
ill discipline and frustration with the umpires cost us dearly all thru the year

hopefully the very positive vibes coming out of Punt Rd wipes that away and we are very focused and we roll towards a Top 4 finish and a possible flag

Attachments

• 1677042761042.png
    1677042761042.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 2