This Year's "Super" Draft? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

This Year's "Super" Draft?

zeusmydog

Tiger Cub
Aug 1, 2010
People talk about this year's SuperDraftTM as if it is a given, its starting to sound a bit like the Tigerland SuperStoreTM
I am not questioning the validity of the claim, but can anyone remember or know what it is about this year that makes the draft super?

Is it depth or the perceived quality of the top tier?

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Dunno mate. One thing I'm confident of though is that we are likely to net a top 8 pick.

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
I think they've been saying for a while that even at around pick 30 there will be a quality player available - apparently to all the watchers of junior footy they have been spruiking this draft for at least a year. If Viney and Daniher weren't going Father/Son they would ealry picks.
That is why we have activated our compo pick for this year's draft - didn't help with Port winning, we need them to finish bottom 4 to improve our position with their compo pick we got from the Gold Coast (Nathan Krakour 2nd round compo pick).

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
mad_doggy911 said:
Dunno mate. One thing I'm confident of though is that we are likely to net a top 8 pick.

Only if we trade for one.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
There are at least 3 players we don't need to worry about in this draft due to being father/son picks.

Viney - will go to Dees
Daniher - Essendon
McDonald - North

All 3 will likely go for 1st round picks. Viney and McDonald will be picked up before our first rounder hopefully so this will bring us a couple picks forward in the draft.

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
To really judge if this is a super draft how do we see the top 10 shaping up?

On ability I'd have Martin as the number 1 pick with Simpson, Whitfield, Toumpas, Plowman, Daniher, Menzel, Viney, O'Rouke, Mayes and Garlett.
The combine will answer a few more questions but I think it's a reasonably strong draft considering there are also players like Grundy, Kennedy, Hogan, Wines and Smith.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Come Sunday night the ND might well become the number one focus for Tigers fans yet again if we get done by Kangas.

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
craig said:
Come Sunday night the ND might well become the number one focus for Tigers fans yet again if we get done by Kangas.

I've never seen the Junior Football board this quiet for this long. There is basically no interest in discussing players in fact Morabito's injury thread has been more active than the others.
I think we will beat the Roos so I'm guessing there won't be a lot of incentive to check have a browse on the Junior Football board for a while.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Gus said:
I've never seen the Junior Football board this quiet for this long.

I think Gus, those that enjoyed the discussion of the draft prospects have for various reasons stopped posting on PRE. This used to be one of the best online novice resource kicking around the web.

I’ll say one thing, Matthew McDonough is another Alex Fasolo type that we desperately need. I really like the kid. Think he has a lot going for him. And will translate into a midfielder.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
My guess is he is related to Blair (Big Brother) who was a very decent footballer also.

Uncle

" Black ops?"
Apr 24, 2009
SCOOP said:
I think Gus, those that enjoyed the discussion of the draft prospects have for various reasons stopped posting on PRE. This used to be one of the best online novice resource kicking around the web.

I’ll say one thing, Matthew McDonough is another Alex Fasolo type that we desperately need. I really like the kid. Think he has a lot going for him. And will translate into a midfielder.
Good spot Scoop, really think this one just has a that knack of kicking goals, like him a lot.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Uncle said:
Good spot Scoop, really think this one just has a that knack of kicking goals, like him a lot.

Yeah me too. And we need another small forward badly. I think that McDonough will be on the board in rounds three and four.

What do you think?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
SCOOP said:
Yeah me too. And we need another small forward badly. I think that McDonough will be on the board in rounds three and four.

What do you think?

Now that the season is *smile* keep bringing the good stuff to this board Scoop. Unfortunately I don't ever get to see prospective recruits so it's good to read about them from you and others that know a bit about them.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
SCOOP said:

What do you think?

He doesn't look like a typical AFL footballer. His body size is all completely wrong but he has fantastic footy nous and just keeps kicking goals. Probably wouldn't take him before 3rd round but happy to take him after that. I'm really hoping we are looking at Rory Atkins. If we pass on him at either of our 2nd rounders Remote will go through TV. ;D

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Subject to any potential trades involving our draft picks, we are looking at 3 picks in at least the top 35 at the moment.

With a deep draft, a very good opportunity to help fill those needs with those early picks.