Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Wins from bonus bets?
No. I haven't had a bet since Boxing Day and probably won't use the account again until next year at least. I deposited a sum of money last night, had five bets for the day and showed a small profit. Went to withdraw the lot and was confronted with a 'withdrawable' amount which was less than the full balance. Instinct says this can't be legal. Surely I cannot be compelled to bet every cent deposited when it is my own money?

Might put the remainder on Biden and be happy either way. Or just close the account. Perhaps both.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
No. I haven't had a bet since Boxing Day and probably won't use the account again until next year at least. I deposited a sum of money last night, had five bets for the day and showed a small profit. Went to withdraw the lot and was confronted with a 'withdrawable' amount which was less than the full balance. Instinct says this can't be legal. Surely I cannot be compelled to bet every cent deposited when it is my own money?

Might put the remainder on Biden and be happy either way. Or just close the account. Perhaps both.
It seems a bit odd, perhaps try withdrawing some more tomorrow, just a thought.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It seems a bit odd, perhaps try withdrawing some more tomorrow, just a thought.
A mate who is a professional punter reckons they brought it in to prevent money laundering. If they can't tell the difference between a money launderer and me, they have bigger problems than they know.

$93 on Biden @ 1.65. Happy to forfeit it for a Trump win.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
A mate who is a professional punter reckons they brought it in to prevent money laundering. If they can't tell the difference between a money launderer and me, they have bigger problems than they know.

$93 on Biden @ 1.65. Happy to forfeit it for a Trump win.
That is why. Corporates introduced it when they started offering bonus bets to ensure you didn't just use the bonus bets and then cash back out. I put some in one and was then told i had to turn it over 3 times before i could withdraw. I was no chance of that money surviving, which is exactly what they wanted.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
That is why. Corporates introduced it when they started offering bonus bets to ensure you didn't just use the bonus bets and then cash back out. I put some in one and was then told i had to turn it over 3 times before i could withdraw. I was no chance of that money surviving, which is exactly what they wanted.
Always understood that to be the case with bonus bets, but it's been a few years since the TAB offered me a bonus bet. It is beyond ridiculous that I make a big enough deposit to cover my betting whims for a day and can't retrieve it without risking it all.

Unless they respond positively to my communications sent this evening, the TAB and I have come to the end of the road. Pretty sure they sit at the less generous end of the wagering spectrum anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Think your case has nothing to do with tab or bonus bets LTRTR.

Corps are governed to allow any winnings from bonuses to be withdrawn is leysy's understanding.

Every bookie (bar betfair for some reason) so far as leysy knows enforce you to turn any deposit over once before withdrawing.

Money laundering is the *smile* excuse. Wouldnt hang tab on it. Think all are the same sans betfair.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Every bookie (bar betfair for some reason) so far as leysy knows enforce you to turn any deposit over once before withdrawing.
Could only find this, without explanation.

ZHoGsdz.jpg

They ain't a monopoly any more and no business can survive sh!t customer service. *smile* 'em. I'll drain the account tomorrow one way or another and keep it active in case I want to watch a race.

Just looking through the results... managed to get below SP on 4 of 5 bets from their fixed odds service, which was more generous than their tote. Won't be missed.

Last edited:

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Always understood that to be the case with bonus bets, but it's been a few years since the TAB offered me a bonus bet. It is beyond ridiculous that I make a big enough deposit to cover my betting whims for a day and can't retrieve it without risking it all.

Unless they respond positively to my communications sent this evening, the TAB and I have come to the end of the road. Pretty sure they sit at the less generous end of the wagering spectrum anyway.
I have never known the TAB to do the turnover thing i must admit but i have had an account for as long as i can remember. You might have to revert to the old school paper tickets.

And yes, most of the corporates will offer better odds such as best tote, best of the totes+SP, top fluc etc etc. And they all have other specials such odds boots, bonus bet back for 2nd/3rd, protest payout, payout if you are beaten a less than half head and all sorts of things.

This is what NEDS offers as an example with the number representing the number of each bonus type available.

1604407201116.png

I reckon the corporates are clearly the way to go compared to the TAB.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I have never known the TAB to do the turnover thing i must admit but i have had an account for as long as i can remember. You might have to revert to the old school paper tickets.
Cup Day is really the only day I use the app seriously, and Boxing Day at the cricket (not happening this year). Otherwise I'll go to the track two or three times a year and take my pick of the odds.

SEN was spruiking Betfair heavily on Sunday when I went for a drive. They made mention of the TAB SP's being well under best fluc for Saturday's winners. Does Betfair still take the lot or are they now compelled to contribute something to the industry?

For me the thing to come out of 2020 is learning about what I can go without. If Gil's not careful and insists on trimming quarters, he just might forfeit my attendance at games.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Could only find this, without explanation.

ZHoGsdz.jpg

They ain't a monopoly any more and no business can survive sh!t customer service. *smile* 'em. I'll drain the account tomorrow one way or another and keep it active in case I want to watch a race.

Just looking through the results... managed to get below SP on 4 of 5 bets from their fixed odds service, which was more generous than their tote. Won't be missed.
I get the concern with money laundering, and agree you shouldn't be allowed to deposit money and then withdraw it a day, a week or a month later without having a bet. But if someone deposits $100, has some winning bets resulting in a balance of $300, surely they should be allowed to withdraw the lot if they want to.
I withdraw whenever I get over a certain amount and have never had a problem, mind you I never withdraw the whole amount.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I withdraw whenever I get over a certain amount and have never had a problem, mind you I never withdraw the whole amount.
Only punt rarely on the app so it makes zero sense to have money sitting there.

On the other hand I'm getting old and set in my ways and might be overreacting to a "rule change", but they're never going to know it's unpopular unless I tell them.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Cup jockeys

1st:
TWILIGHT PAYMENT
Jye McNeil:
It was the plan to always be forward. I wasn’t feeling a lot of pressure but when you’ve got to forward like that there is some pressure in getting it right. Thankfully it all came together. I was confident (at the Clock Tower). I had to think not to use the whip too many times. Also, I was trying to use my voice to encourage him as much as possible. It was a matter of hanging on and he was very tough. Too many emotions. It’s a very big moment.

2nd: TIGER MOTH
Kerrin McEvoy:
We were able to get across into a nice spot. We dropped in and got a nice lead and he travelled really well. The winner kept running, I just had to pick up to get into the race, which he did, but the winner was just a bit strong today. It was a great run for a young horse having only his fifth start in a race. He’s run really well.

3rd: PRINCE OF ARRAN
Jamie Kah:
He was super unlucky. He really deserves it. He just had no luck on the turn.

4th: THE CHOSEN ONE
Daniel Stackhouse:
I couldn’t be happier with the horse. He tried his heart out. He gave a bit of a scare coming into the corner and was travelling really well. He gave a good kick and tried really hard, but he just found the end just a little bit tough. He did well.

5th: PERSAN
Michael Dee:
If he’s going as good next year he’s going to be right in it. It was a massive effort. We wanted to go forward but in the end we didn’t have the speed, so I just had to tuck back and find cover where I could, ride the fence. He got a lovely run through and hit the line strong. To run so well, it was a huge thrill and it’s a credit to Ciaron (Maher) and Dave (Eustace) to keep the horse going for so long. And a massive credit to Jye McNeil as well.

6th: SIR DRAGONET
Glen Boss:
Just didn’t step. He just missed it a length which put me at a disadvantage. Ideally I would have liked to have been two or three pairs closer. There’ll be people that will say that he didn’t run the trip but unfortunately, at the 1200 (metre mark), when I’m 12 lengths away, I had to do a lot of work just to get myself into a winning position. Even if I just came through on the fence, I’m still using carrots up to get to that point. But he ran very well.

7th: VERRY ELLEEGANT
Mark Zahra:
Ran really well. Just ended up too far back.

8th: RUSSIAN CAMELOT
Damien Oliver:
He ran well. The two miles was just a bit far for him but he ran very brave.

9th: FINCHE
James McDonald:
He’s gone super. He’s stayed on really well.

10th: ASHRUN
Declan Bates:
He’s run really well. He was a bit slow to muster from the wide gate so I just came back. It probably took a while for him to warm up into it, but the further I went the better he was going, but I was probably too far back. He didn’t have the gears to get there. He’s run well.

11th: OCEANEX
Dean Yendall:
She went super. I rode her to run the top 12. I got her into a lovely position, had cover, it was always going to be tricky from the barrier 17. I knew the speed was drawn outside of me but I still had the task of getting across and finding the right spot, which she did. She switched off lovely and I rode her to get the journey and also to help the owner get some prizemoney.

12th: WARNING
Luke Currie:
He couldn’t quicken as well as some of those better ones.

13th: SURPRISE BABY
Craig Williams:
He looked like he was a little bit stressed when he was unsaddled. It’ll be really interesting to see how he pulls up. His performance was well below par for him and it will be interesting to see how he comes through the run physically.

14th: MIAMI BOUND
Daniel Moor:
We had a perfect run in transit but it seems she needs wet ground to find her best.

15th: MASTER OF REALITY
Ben Melham:
He felt the ground.

16th: STEEL PRINCE
William Pike:
He ran well.

17th: ETAH JAMES
Billy Egan:
She gave me a lovely ride.

18th: VOW AND DECLARE
Jamie Mott:
He had a beautiful run. He felt quite strong with the blinkers but he just didn’t have anything to offer today once they quickened. Hopefully he can come back and get into his good form.

19th: MUSTAJEER
Michael Rodd:
There might be an issue with him.

20th : STRATUM ALBION
Jordan Childs:
He ran ok. We got up on a nice spot, travelled good. They were just a bit slick for him when the pace quickened.

21th: DASHING WILLOUGHBY
Michael Walker:
He’s not right, the horse. He’s not right. Action-wise he’s not right.

22th: AVILIUS
John Allen:
Probably didn’t run the trip in the end.

Failed to finish: ANTHONY VAN DYCK
Hugh Bowman:
No comment.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Think your case has nothing to do with tab or bonus bets LTRTR.

Corps are governed to allow any winnings from bonuses to be withdrawn is leysy's understanding.

Money laundering is the *smile* excuse. Wouldnt hang tab on it. Think all are the same sans betfair.

These *smile* are extraordinary.

I went to collect a substantial amount from TAB.

The bets were placed in cash, accepted without verification.

When I went to collect, you would think I was applying for a visa to sell Yasa Arrafat memorabilia in Tel Aviv.

After an hour of indiscrete interrogation, the outlet had to

1. get TAB to deposit into their account
2. write me out a cheque

then I had to wait 3 days for their cheque to clear.

TAB essentially held on to my winnings for a week and the outlet held onto it for 5 days.

Buy, hey?

1. 'Bookies are all *smile*' is hardly a shocking, revelatory, headline; and
2. I pantsed them for a 6th consecutive year

I think thats a dynasty?

• Love

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
No refund if horse fails to finish. Can be if they fault to run ( stay in barriers)
But you cannot bet on a horse being injured or dieing if that is your point.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Second in the Caulfield Cup is a good indicator. Happy to go with Anthony Van Dyck but wary of a firm track and the aptly named stablemate Tiger Moth.

Fabric has drawn the outside barrier again! With luck can win but will need plenty - that’s why she is $9. Each way if you can afford it.

T44
Did I see right ..... From outside ends up being crushed on the inside rail ?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
not surprised ....
do punters get their coin back if this happens ... genuine question, i'm not a gambler ..
or is 'horse death' part of the gamble ?
It is very rare indeed that a punter gets his money refunded once a race starts. The only situations I can think of are a "no race" being declared - ultra-rare - or a horse being unfairly disadvantaged at the start. Jockeys occasionally protest the latter but it is devilishly hard to get stewards to agree.

One of my bets yesterday, La Tigeresa, missed the start by five lengths in a 1400m race. They ran 1:22 so I did my money cold. As far as I know, there was no protest. Caller said the rider "tried to anticipate the start"...

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Did I see right ..... From outside ends up being crushed on the inside rail ?
Wasn't crushed on inside rail 22nd. Missed the start and Willo (as he does) decided he still wanted to go forward so worked around them to get outside the leader and then poured the pressure on (Fabric and the leader finished second last and last). Had no hope after they had gone 300m. And the stablemate and second favourite wasn't good enough to take advantage of the solid pace, not that I am suggesting anything untoward.

My Pendant, on the other hand was ridden by Jamie Kah, sat back just off the pace and basically sat there doing no work until about the 500m when J Kah decided to run into the back of every horse she could find, until 50m to go when she got clear by which time there was no point in trying as the horse had literally bolted! Did read her comment re Prince of Arran with a wry grin - unlucky. Also, go and watch Tavidance in an earlier race (race 6 i think) ridden again by J Kah - still hasn't seen daylight which takes some doing given the wide expanses of the Flemington straight. That means at least 3 of her rides yesterday were extremely unlucky ...... bit of a theme? And yes I am talking through my pocket but by venting I get some return for my $ - unlike my punting yesterday.

Back to watch a replay of the GF - nothing unlucky about that.

T44