Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I'm actually a fan of Rugby League, have been watching it for 30+ years.

The main point I was making was that Buddy's 1,000th goal and it's celebration happened in Sydney, and how much it would've p!ssed V'Landy's off.

I enjoy the fact that V'Landys, as chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission feels threatened by AFL's popularity in NSW & QLD.
Why would it upset him anymore than any week of footy where our crowds dwarf his? He knows the difference in the at ground appeal. I don't follow NRL except as the most ambivalent Storm supporter - is the NRL actively trying to increase crowds? Is its popularity on other measures waning?
Many would love AFL to leave GWS and Suns to their own devices and see if the popularity of AFL you observe could lead to those clubs standing on their own two feet.
And being a racing thread I see Messara has quit as Racing Oz Chair as he says he has failed to bring Vic and NSw onto the same page. Probably Vlandys is not so scared of RV than he is of Gill & Co and would see that a victory for him.

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Why would it upset him anymore than any week of footy where our crowds dwarf his? He knows the difference in the at ground appeal. I don't follow NRL except as the most ambivalent Storm supporter - is the NRL actively trying to increase crowds? Is its popularity on other measures waning?
Many would love AFL to leave GWS and Suns to their own devices and see if the popularity of AFL you observe could lead to those clubs standing on their own two feet.
And being a racing thread I see Messara has quit as Racing Oz Chair as he says he has failed to bring Vic and NSw onto the same page. Probably Vlandys is not so scared of RV than he is of Gill & Co and would see that a victory for him.

The thing with NRL is it’s the perfect sport for tv.

You can focus the camera to within 5 metres of the ball and not miss a thing. Completely different to AFL.

The NRL lovers/fans/apologists love bringing up tv ratings, much to my amusement. But it’s only part of the full story of NRL v AFL.

League is bleeding in NSW, and particularly Qld. We had a bit of a chat about it in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

V’Landys comes across as an old school administrator who’s time is over. Has no other ideas apart from throwing money at stupid ideas.

He is John Elliott reincarnated from the 80’s, and unfortunately for him about 40 years too late.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Jealousy.

"Peter V’landys was all smiles when sledging the AFL’s move into rugby league territory after waving goodbye to an MCG grand final."

"The NRL grand final will be played in Sydney at ANZ Stadium in Homebush as usual, which under the new regulations could host a crowd of 40,000 people.

The AFL, on the other hand, has been forced to leave Victoria because of the state’s coronavirus turmoil, and will instead play its decider in the rugby league heartland of Brisbane. It’s the first time ever the league’s biggest occasion will take place outside of Melbourne, but V’landys doesn’t care.

Asked if he had any sympathy for his cross-code rivals, the rugby league boss was typically blunt."

“Zero,” he told Channel 9’s Today. “On that subject, while they’re in Brisbane, it’s like people going to an ABBA concert when they’re ACDC fans.

“They’ll like the rhythm for a while but they’ll go back to the real heavy stuff, the rugby league.”

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The thing with NRL is it’s the perfect sport for tv.

You can focus the camera to within 5 metres of the ball and not miss a thing. Completely different to AFL.

The NRL lovers/fans/apologists love bringing up tv ratings, much to my amusement. But it’s only part of the full story of NRL v AFL.

League is bleeding in NSW, and particularly Qld. We had a bit of a chat about it in this thread a couple of weeks ago.

V’Landys comes across as an old school administrator who’s time is over. Has no other ideas apart from throwing money at stupid ideas.

He is John Elliott reincarnated from the 80’s, and unfortunately for him about 40 years too late.
If V is old school why did RV introduce the All Star Mile? Could have just backed in its traditional Autumn program. Racing is about money. Though I would like more prize money to the midweek races and non features than bumping up the Group 1s.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Jealousy.

"Peter V’landys was all smiles when sledging the AFL’s move into rugby league territory after waving goodbye to an MCG grand final."

"The NRL grand final will be played in Sydney at ANZ Stadium in Homebush as usual, which under the new regulations could host a crowd of 40,000 people.

The AFL, on the other hand, has been forced to leave Victoria because of the state’s coronavirus turmoil, and will instead play its decider in the rugby league heartland of Brisbane. It’s the first time ever the league’s biggest occasion will take place outside of Melbourne, but V’landys doesn’t care.

Asked if he had any sympathy for his cross-code rivals, the rugby league boss was typically blunt."

“Zero,” he told Channel 9’s Today. “On that subject, while they’re in Brisbane, it’s like people going to an ABBA concert when they’re ACDC fans.

“They’ll like the rhythm for a while but they’ll go back to the real heavy stuff, the rugby league.”

He’s such a moronic big mouth boof. The fact the 2020 AFL GF was held in Brisbane only further served the AFL’s takeover of Queensland.

Reactions: 1 user

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Some good racing today, although Bendigo wasn’t kind to me after the 1st.

Hitotsu was brilliant, what a horse, and a simply brilliant training performance.

Fireburn the top 2yo this season, loves the wet. Interesting to see how she goes on top of the ground.

Nature Strip just destroyed them in the TJ.

And a new star could be emerging in the west. Amelia’s Jewel brained em in the feature.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Colette easily the best mare over a mile on wet in the QOT tom.

+ Jmac

Icebath is very handy when carrying 52, but she's 5kg overs and runs 2nd a lot.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Was gunna post today about Colette Ezy.

Am following you in. No stars in this and set weights on heavy.

4th run in is typically her best run as well.

Won the empire rose 4th up and also the golden eagle.

Let's break some bookies!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Icebath is very handy when carrying 52, but she's 5kg overs and runs 2nd a lot.
I actually raced her (Icebath's) mother on lease, a mare called Fabulist - won a midweeker at Sandown so her daughter having won over $4m is a bit ahead of her. Shame we didn't buy her but if she was anything like her mother wouldn't have been worth it! Reckon Lighthouse is a big chance in the QOTT tomorrow, good run in the Donny last week after an interrupted week on the track beforehand.

Gypsy Goddess in the Oaks and the Queens horse (Chalk Stream) in the Cup but prefer to focus away from the watersports at Randwick - Caulfield should be perfect surface and reckon Barade in Race 8 might be worth a sneaky $ each way.

Good punting all.

T44

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Was gunna post today about Colette Ezy.

Am following you in. No stars in this and set weights on heavy.

4th run in is typically her best run as well.

Won the empire rose 4th up and also the golden eagle.

Let's break some bookies!!!

have gone in moderately @ $4,

half expect her to announce she's stepping away from racing tonight, to spend more time with family :cool: