Tigers claw at mental block (HeraldSun) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers claw at mental block (HeraldSun)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers claw at mental block
22 May 2003 Herald Sun
By BRUCE MATTHEWS

PIT the most free-scoring attack against the most miserly defence and either combatant will be thankful for any outside assistance.

So prolific West Coast can count on the psychological points to help break down Richmond's backline, the best performed in the AFL.

While acknowledging the significant home-ground advantage for the Eagles at Subiaco on Saturday night, versatile Tiger Leon Cameron is convinced it can be neutralised by a sound start to the game.

"It's probably more a mental thing. You've got to block out the crowd, which is obviously 95 per cent West Coast. So I put it down as a mental challenge for us more than anything," he said before training at Punt Rd last night.

Cameron has been involved in teams with Richmond and the Bulldogs that have travelled home triumphant from the west, but he admitted it was the Tigers' sternest test in a promising start to the season.

"It's obviously a tough road trip to Perth. The Eagles are 6-2 and playing good footy. And they've won a couple away from home," he said.

"We have won there before. But, having said that, the last couple of years the Eagles have improved dramatically with their home-ground advantage."

Skipper Wayne Campbell (calf) trained strongly last night and he's sure to be back leading with tall option Ray Hall (groin) also expected to return.

Not so certain is ruckman Greg Stafford, who was still proppy last night after hyper-extending his right knee last Saturday.

While scans cleared him of structural damage, there's still soreness from the trauma of the injury.

And he's a must for the Tigers to help combat in-form Eagles big man Michael Gardiner.

Cameron said winning in Perth would earn the Tigers the respect of the football world, but the players were more concerned with pride in their own performance.

"Obviously every side is looking to gain respect from the opposition and the outside world looking in," he said.

"We're 6-2 and whether that has gained us respect, you don't know.

"All we're worried about is fronting up every week and putting in a performance we can be proud of.

"I think we've done that in the last six or seven weeks.

"Obviously if you win over there, a lot of sides are going to take more notice.

"But having said that, if you go over and do what you have for the last four or five, that's all you can ask."