Tigers rally behind Frawley (AFL website) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers rally behind Frawley (AFL website)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tigers rally behind Frawley
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
2:34:43 PM Thu 24 July, 2003

Richmond chief executive Ian Campbell has moved to reassure Tiger supporters the club remains united despite the embarrassing leak of an internal memo criticising club coach Danny Frawley.

The memo – details of which were revealed on Melbourne radio station 3AW on Wednesday night – was written by Tigers’ communications manager Paul Maley and criticised Frawley for losing touch with the club’s army of long-suffering supporters.

This is in the wake of the club losing its past eight matches to slide from third to 12th as the club – which has reached September just twice since 1982 – looks set to miss the finals yet again.

Maley’s memo said in part: “Make no mistake, our supporters are angry. In particular, their ire is being directed at Danny Frawley. The opinion of Danny is widespread and at an all-time low. If the mindset of the average supporter doesn’t improve between now and October-November, selling memberships will be nigh on impossible (for next year).”

The Tigers, long considered to be part of the ‘big four’ clubs in Victoria, have already seen their membership slump to just 24,000 this season – well behind Victoria’s other big clubs in Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton.

The memo also advised there should be no further criticism of the club’s fans for not joining up as members such as criticising them for their fickleness or lack of loyalty.

Campbell, speaking exclusively to richmondfc.com.au on Thursday, said he did not blame supporters for being upset at the club’s current performance but urged them not to lose faith in the club’s leadership.

“I am not going to ask them to be patient again because I understand their frustration,” he said of the ‘Tiger Army.’

“I am just asking them to have a bit of self-belief that we will get to where we want to go and we will get there quickly.”

Campbell said the memo did not show there were concerns about Frawley’s ability to lift the side within the club, but was just one of numerous internal memos that are part of life at all businesses.

“We get (internal) memos on anything from the pies not being hot last Saturday,” he said.

The Tigers’ chief executive said there was no definitely no division in the club over Frawley, whose contract runs out at the end of next year.

“The basic message to the supporters of the club is that we are united,” he said.

“It’s frustrating that this (memo) has come out but we had a staff meeting this morning (Thursday) and everyone is united.”

Campbell said he was confident the criticism would not affect Frawley, who is now in his fourth year as coach but has won just 13 of his past 38 matches in charge since losing the 2001 preliminary final in Brisbane.

“Danny has been in this game for a long time, he is a professional and he knows his job is to get a win on the board,” Campbell said.

“This (memo) makes it difficult for him but it’s just like what happened to (Carlton coach) Denis Pagan yesterday and (Hawthorn coach) Peter Schwab earlier in the season.”

“It’s not a question of when it’s your turn to be scrutinised, it’s a question of who is next?”

Campbell said that despite the club’s poor run of results, he was confident the club now had the off-field structure in place to again be successful and promised the Tigers would be ‘aggressive’ during the off-season in re-building their team.

He added that despite the membership downturn, the club’s once precarious financial position was now sound with sponsorships already in place for next season and gaming revenue back on the increase.

Earlier Richmond’s football operations manager Greg Miller repeated that Frawley still had the confidence of the club and would remain coach in 2004.

“Danny loves the Richmond Football Club and he’s putting his heart and soul into everything. That’s one of his strengths,” Miller said on radio station Sport 927.

“I’ll be reassuring Danny. He knows what my feelings are, absolutely.”

“Danny’s doing everything possible to succeed for the Richmond Football Club and he’ll continue to do so this year and next year.”

Tiger icon

He coaches like Tony Shaw!
Jul 24, 2003
re Wayne Campbells quote

"Campbell said he was confident the criticism would not affect Frawley, who is now in his fourth year as coach but has won just 13 of his past 38 matches in charge since losing the 2001 preliminary final in Brisbane."

By "not effecting Frawley," does he mean we will continue
lose games, just as Dumb Ass Danny has consitently done for the last 4 years ?????
Frightening words for a Captain!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Wasn't it actually Ian Campbell saying all that? Wayne Campbell would probably back him up though.

P.S. Dumb Ass Danny, i like that!

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Tiger icon said:
"Campbell said he was confident the criticism would not affect Frawley, who is now in his fourth year as coach but has won just 13 of his past 38 matches in charge since losing the 2001 preliminary final in Brisbane."

Thats a disturbing stat. I wonder what Dean would make of it ;D

Tiger icon

Jul 24, 2003
Yeah,My bad.
It was Ian Campbell that said it but it still is a disturbing fact.
These are the knobs we DONT need at Punt rd.
They only add to the rust.

lotus2

I'm a llama!
Jul 13, 2003
there all smoking hoochi coochi down there,thats for sure,our club is run by a bunch of stoned hippies

56tiger

I'm a llama!
Jul 21, 2003
Had a coffee with the Spudman to-day, it's amazing how many Tiger supporters actually can up to him and offered their support to him. I'm sure that next time Paul Maley prepares an memo he could get both sides of the issue.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
56tiger said:
I'm sure that next time Paul Maley prepares an memo he could get both sides of the issue.

I don't have any issues the comments Paul had about Danny.
I have issues that it's been leaked though.
I would love to know who did it and why.
Despite the fact that Danny has his supporters there's no doubt his popularity has plummeted.
It's good the club acknowledge things like that and look for ways to deal with them.
Don't forget that memo wasn't intended for public viewing.
How would we feel if some of our private correspondence was suddenly open for public viewing?

S

Skyfire

rosy3 said:
56tiger said:
I'm sure that next time Paul Maley prepares an memo he could get both sides of the issue.

The guy who posted it on TT said it was Tony Jewell

Tiger icon

Jul 24, 2003
rosy3 said:
56tiger said:

I don't have any issues the comments Paul had about Danny.
I have issues that it's been leaked though.
Despite the fact that Danny has his supporters there's no doubt his popularity has plummeted.
It's good the club acknowledge things like that and look for ways to deal with them.
Don't forget that memo wasn't intended for public viewing.
How would we feel if some of our private correspondence was suddenly open for public viewing?

Fair enough, how-ever it shows that there is now an official appetite of discontent within the club,so much in fact that an unknown individual felt it necessary to share,leak......(what-ever) the memo in question to the media for obvious reasons. (If it was some-body at the club - hookes rumors )