Tigers' sights on big names in trade | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers' sights on big names in trade

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
01 September 2003 Herald Sun
By MARK STEVENS

RICHMOND president Clinton Casey has flagged major upheaval at Punt Rd, promising an aggressive approach at the trade table.

"We will heavily scrutinise our list this year . . . some eyebrows will be raised at some of the trades at the end of the year," Casey said yesterday.

Tigers coach Danny Frawley followed up Casey's pre-game warning to the club's big names, making it clear it would be a summer of tough decisions.

"The responsibility lies totally with me so there's got to be some really honest decisions made," Frawley said.

"The buck stops with me. I'm not going to shy away from that . . . I relish that."

Frawley said the club had made successful changes to its off-field structure and it was time the on-field side fell into place as well.

"There's been enormous inroads made off the field and the challenge for me, as a senior coach, is to make sure that is replicated on the field.

"It won't happen overnight, but it will happen."

Casey, speaking at the pre-match luncheon, also hinted at changes to the club's on-field leadership structure.

Frawley said he was always in close contact with Casey and did nothing to quell those suggestions.

"We're not going to mention too much at the moment, but we've got to make sure we get Richmond where they should be," he said.

Frawley had a simple message to his players heading into the pre-season: "If you're not ready to relish some hard work and getting a bit of dirt under your fingernails come and see me now."

He would not go into specifics about the club's drafting and trading tactics, but said he was "really disappointed" with the year.

"After a promising start we've let a hell of a lot of people down," he said.

"We wanted to gain respect at the start of the year but we were unable to achieve that.

"At the moment we haven't got that and that's the thing that's going to get me out of bed tomorrow morning.

"We've got to make sure our supporters and members get the respect they deserve."

The Tigers started the year well, moving to 6-2 with a comfortable win against Essendon at the MCG in Round 8.

After that, they lost 13 of their last 14. The only win came against the last-placed Bulldogs in Round 17.

In the wake of Hawthorn coach Peter Schwab's re-appointment, Frawley was asked if he would be going to the board for a vote of confidence before entering the final year of his contract next season.

"I'm looking forward to the next contest. That's all I'm going to be looking forward to . . . and that's going to be out on the track in November," Frawley said.

"It's going to be a good summer. Our players are looking forward to it . . . we know we've got a hell of a lot of hard work to do."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
"The responsibility lies totally with me so there's got to be some really honest decisions made," Frawley said.

"The buck stops with me. I'm not going to shy away from that . . . I relish that."

Yeah I agree with Danny. A couple of people here have disputed the fact that the head coach is ultimately responsible, but he has to be. Glad that he at least acknowledges it. Now if only he'd be honourable and act on it, ha.

Casey, speaking at the pre-match luncheon, also hinted at changes to the club's on-field leadership structure.

I think we need a new leadership group. Nothing against Campbo but he's led the team in a period where they've showed little passion or will to win.

It's time to try and get a new culture happening, and the leadership group would be a good place to start imo.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I don't think anybody is disputing that the head coach is ultimately responsible for on-field performance Rosy. By the same token, it is not always valuable to look solely at the coach when things go wrong. There are 40 odd players who need to be looked at, for starters. It's been a fair while since Richmond admitted that the players are the problem, this administration included. I think the last two games this season showed quite starkly that the main gap between us and the top sides is in playing personnel. Whatever one may think of the coaching, 7—9 wins is probably a fair indication of our list.
I agree about the on field leadership, especially if Gaspar and Campbo are going to miss a substantial part next season. Just make Coughlan captain, with Johnson and Ottens as deputies. A no-brainer!

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I tend to agree with you Rosy.

I think that Kane Johnson would be a worthy captain. He’s one of only 2 players on our list that has tasted premiership success at the ultimate level and he leads by example. Always one who puts his body on the line and makes good use of the football when he gets it. You can’t help but admire the way he goes about his craft and I think that our players would look up to and would follow him. It is obvious that he wants to play for the yellow and black – why else would he leave a side like Adelaide to come and play for the Tigers? I reckon the captaincy would sit good alongside him.

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
I think maybe some have forgotten how good Cambo is. Out of sight, out of mind, perhaps ? As much as I howled when Spud made him Captain over Knighter, it was the making of him as a footballer and a leader. IMO he should retain the captaincy, Otto as vice. Cogs is obviously a future captain, but not yet.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hartbalme said:
I think maybe some have forgotten how good Cambo is. Out of sight, out of mind, perhaps ? As much as I howled when Spud made him Captain over Knighter, it was the making of him as a footballer and a leader. IMO he should retain the captaincy, Otto as vice. Cogs is obviously a future captain, but not yet.

You certainly can't deny that we have been sh!t house since he's been out of the team.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
Campbell is not the problem, it's the leadership group.
He needs support from other players. Gas sets an example with his playing style but IMO is not vocal enough and doesn't show natural leadership qualities. Richo is not the answer to this issue as we've seen clearly in the last half of the season.

We should be looking at people who are natural leaders - Greg Stafford springs to mind as VC. Cogs would be an excellent DVC. Kane Johnson should be in the mix.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
I don't think anybody is disputing that the head coach is ultimately responsible for on-field performance Rosy. By the same token, it is not always valuable to look solely at the coach when things go wrong. There are 40 odd players who need to be looked at, for starters. It's been a fair while since Richmond admitted that the players are the problem, this administration included.

Exactly Dean3 - I am not disputing for a minute that Danny has to take repsonsibility for the results but we as Club need to make every single player accountable for their performances as well. Our past history shows time and time again that we haven't done that.

Our lack of depth has killed us yet again. The Club has admitted a numerous occassions this season that some players who are not up to it have got games simple because we have had anyone else to bring in.

I for one, am looking at the next 4-8 weeks to see how serious this Club about re-building and more importantly strengthening our list.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
julzqld said:
Frawley had a simple message to his players heading into the pre-season: "If you're not ready to relish some hard work and getting a bit of dirt under your fingernails come and see me now."

Was Spud planning on some gardening with them. ;D

Those players he's talking about are the same ones he spoke about last season with the 'we'll sort out who wants to play for the Richmond Football Club' statement, then kept them all.

They are also the same players he said didn't follow his instructions this year. Guess most of them have pretty clean fingernails.

Most of them will probably be there for a third chance next season too.

How depressing. Wish we could fast forward a couple of years.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I would prefer Danny Potatohead said nothing........beleive it when I see it.

Tiger ferals have short memories and all will be forgotten and forgiven in a few weeks..................and when the club gives up valuable draft picks for rejects from other clubs there will be fools on this board saying its too early to judge, give the guys a chance............similar to what was said about Fleming and Nicholls.

And to those people who think the coach isn't totally at fault and blame lack of depth as an excuse, ask yourselves who recruited the likes of Fleming and Nicholls in the past year....................wake up to yourselves, youre beginning to sound worse than the club!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
rosy3 said:
I think we need a new leadership group. Nothing against Campbo but he's led the team in a period where they've showed little passion or will to win.

It's time to try and get a new culture happening, and the leadership group would be a good place to start imo.

It didn't look that way before he got injured Rosy. It also didn't look that way in 2001. 2002 i admit was a shocker but Campbell did play the second half of the season injured and his influence on games was limited.

Having said that I'm all for a change of captaincy. The sooner we get rid of Wayne Campbell the sooner we bottom out, become the charity cases of the leaugue, get the best draft picks for 4 years straight ala St Kilda and rebuild into a powerhouse in about 5 or 6 years time.

The alternative is we keep him as captain, he masks our inefficiencies and we finish 9th 3 years in a row and then we have to rebuild anyway. Better to usher the changes in now I reckon.

P

PuntRoadRoar

trade cry baby richo to carlton.. he was a disgrace yesterday

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Swap Ditchoson for Fevola. At least he earns his pay with a few goals each week!

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
DragicevicFan said:
Trouble is they think that Biddiscombe, King and Mills are big names and delisting them will send shockwaves through the league

Hahahahaha true that, all the clubs will be wondering what the hell richmond is doing getting rid of those 'big names'

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
I hope you are kidding Diggler?

Trade Richo for Fevola? I am not against trading Richo but I certainly don't want Fevola playing in a richmond jumper.

Doesn't Fevola fit into that category of good ordinary player that has had a career best year?

Fevola has never received any real attention from opposition clubs this year because opposition clubs know that you can give Fevola 6 goals and you will still beat Carlton by 10 goals (well all teams except Richmond anyway).

Besides we have enough soft pretty boys at Richmond as it is without trying to put another on our list.

I would be interested to see how Fevola goes if he copped the same treatment that Richo cops week in and week out. I don't think his output would be any better.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Young Tiger said:
Besides we have enough soft pretty boys at Richmond as it is without trying to put another on our list.

Fevola pretty? Get real, ha. ::) :rollin