Tigers sweat on Campbell return | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers sweat on Campbell return

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
28 June 2003 Herald Sun
By DARREN CARTWRIGHT in Brisbane

RICHMOND skipper Wayne Campbell is in doubt for tonight's clash with the Brisbane Lions after training at half-pace yesterday.

Named to return from a calf injury, Campbell trained lightly as the Tigers worked in bright sunshine at the Gabba.

Campbell was one of four inclusions to the Richmond line-up, alongside fellow calf victim Kane Johnson and long-term casualties Ben Holland and Marc Dragicevic.

Holland returns after a 12-month absence following a knee reconstruction last year, while Dragicevic last played in Round 6, 2001, when he suffered the first of two major knee injuries.

The second came 30 seconds into his third pre-season match last year, forcing the 22-year-old to undergo a second total reconstruction.

"They're both coming back from mentally and physically difficult injuries," Tigers coach Danny Frawley said.

"He (Holland) is extremely fit. We thought he was ready to go two weeks ago when Darren Gaspar got injured, but we waited and he can hold down a key post down back."

Frawley said Dragicevic's return was one of the great football stories.

"He's a terrific youngster and I think it's a great story -- for not only Richmond supporters, but for football supporters in general because the kid can really play," he said.

If Campbell doesn't come up, he is likely to be replaced by either Clinton King or Chris Hyde.

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Re:Tigers sweat on Campbell return Part 2

Brisbane, is also likely to be forced into a late change with a virus flooring swingman Darryl White, creating an opening for either Jason Gram or Troy Selwood to make their AFL debut.

Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews said White would have to make a "miraculous recovery" to play and was redesigning his side last night with Gram and Selwood the most likely inclusions.

While Matthews was tight-lipped about White's replacement, it's likely Gram, who has been named an emergency in recent weeks, will finally break through ahead of Selwood.

"Whitey's ill and won't play" Matthews said.

Whichever 19-year-old gets the nod, it will be the third first-gamer blooded by the Lions this season, following the debuts of Jared Brennan in Round 4 against Collingwood and Luke Weller against West Coast in Round 12.

Lions skipper Michael Voss declared yesterday he would play despite not having fully recovered from a minor operation just over two weeks ago.

He trained solidly last night, kicking confidently with his right foot, but there are reservations about how much game time will see tonight.

"If you wait until it's 100 per cent it will be another three or four weeks, but it's OK and I can move all right and the medicos wouldn't let me play if they thought I was going to damage it," Voss said.

After two straight losses, Matthews played the three-peat card this week, telling his players to capitalise on their promising start and become the first team to win three straight premierships since Melbourne in 1955-57.

"We're over halfway through the third season and we know we've won the last two and we're in a position to be in contention for the third one," he said. "And I guaranteed the group that none of us will ever be in that position again."

julzqld

Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Well not that I claim to be a big expert, but I thought Campbell did ok but then I thought the whole team seemed to train lightly but they were really too far away to guage properly.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Call it "wading through the *smile*" intuition.

On the afl site where the stats for the game against Brisbane are, he isn't listed amongst the 22 players. Hyde replaces him. Dragga, Hollan and ottens are all playing.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
yeah finally managed to get onto the &*smile**& AFL website just after asking.

Tonight shows us that we still need to bolster our midfield stocks when players like Campbo can't come up.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
You know something is amiss when the backline are getting more posessions than the midfield.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
That's good to hear. They should replace Rogers and Biddiscombe.

And Fiora needs to be dropped as well, giving McGrath his first chance.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
From my memory, on Richmond's club corner a few weeks ago, I remember Greg Hutchinson saying McGrath injured his thigh and would miss a month. Does anyone know if he's played for Coburg the last few weeks???

I think Nicholls, once fit, will definately add more than the usual suspects could ever give. Then again, Martin Luther King could add more than those mops, and we all know where he is - God Bless his sole!