Tigers to honour Joe Murdoch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers to honour Joe Murdoch

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
3:58:32 PM Tue 18 February, 2003

Richmond will wear black armbands for Friday night's Wizard Cup opener against Melbourne in honor of dual premiership hero Joe Murdoch who died on Boxing Day last year in Castlemaine at age 94.

The former rugged defender, admired by the great Jack Dyer for his toughness and tenacious Tiger spirit, was Richmond's oldest premiership player.

Murdoch played 180 games and kicked six goals for the Tigers between 1927 and 1936 and represented a Victorian team in 1932.

He was a key member of the Yellow and Blacks' 1932 and 1934 premiership teams, and also played in the losing 1928, 1929, 1931 and 1933 Grand Final sides.

In the 1932 Grand Final victory over Carlton, Murdoch was prominent at centre half-back. Two years later, when the Tigers defeated South Melbourne in the premiership play-off, he was on a half-forward flank.

Murdoch was awarded Club Life Membership in 1937 and remained a passionate Tiger supporter right throughout his life.

He was a special guest at Punt Road a couple of years ago and captivated the Richmond players, coaches and officials with entertaining stories from his playing days and his wonderful sense of humor.