Tigers to seek better home ground deals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tigers to seek better home ground deals

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tue 20 May, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Richmond will use its new-found status as a Victorian power club to ensure it receives a more attractive deal to play its matches at both the MCG and Telstra Dome.

New Richmond chief executive Ian Campbell – speaking exclusively to richmondfc.com.au – said the club was about to begin re-negotiating its contracts at both venues and believes the club was in a strong position to receive a better deal.

“When we are travelling well we have huge support and even in the tougher times we still have a huge ability to draw very good crowds,” he said.

“All I am asking for is that to be reflected and recognized in the deals (with the MCG and Telstra Dome) so we can get the maximum benefit for this club.”

The Tigers are the only Victorian club in the top seven on the ladder after eight rounds and have consistently attracted some of the best crowds to both venues this season.

The club’s Easter Monday clash against St Kilda at the Telstra Dome was a sell-out and was such a success that it may become an annual event while more than 61,000 went to the first round clash against Collingwood at the MCG plus 52,000 for the game against Essendon, a 40,000 plus crowd against Hawthorn in round five and nearly 40,000 for last Saturday night’s game against Melbourne.

However despite being the second longest-serving tenant at the MCG, the Tigers current deal is inferior to Collingwood, which has only called the ground home since 2000.

Campbell has already met Melbourne Cricket Club boss Stephen Gough and is confident the club will secure a deal similar to Collingwood’s – which will see the Magpies have access to a social club area at the MCG once the re-building of the Northern side of the ground is completed.

“The MCC are more than happy to work with us," Campbell said.

“They realise the power of Richmond is two-fold.

“It’s not only the team and how it plays but it’s all the Richmond supporters coming to games.

“When the ‘Tiger Army’ – the yellow and black – show up, it’s a formidable force at the cash register!”

Campbell said during his short time in charge of the Tigers he was encouraged by the MCC’s attitude towards the club and its commitment in ensuring the club remained at the MCG.

“We haven’t talked about any specifics but there is an absolute sense of co-operation from the MCG to do something special for Richmond,” he said.

“Whether it’s the same deal as Collingwood or different who knows but what we have agreed is Richmond is a critical part of the G and we need to get our piece of the pie as has Collingwood and we will bore-down into the details in the coming weeks.”

Campbell said the Tigers would continue to play a handful of home games at Telstra Dome and would speak to Dome boss Ian Collins to ensure there is no repeat of the delays on Easter Monday, which prevented many Tiger fans from seeing the start of the game.

“I know there are issues with that (getting the crowd in quickly a Telstra Dome) but all the Richmond people that show up to a game there must get in.”

Campbell said the Tigers were also likely to put in a submission to the AFL to make the Easter Monday clash against St Kilda an annual event – as is the case with Essendon and Collingwood on Anzac Day – while the club also wants to play the Bombers on the Saturday before Mothers Day each year.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
However despite being the second longest-serving tenant at the MCG, the Tigers current deal is inferior to Collingwood, which has only called the ground home since 2000.

Campbell has already met Melbourne Cricket Club boss Stephen Gough and is confident the club will secure a deal similar to Collingwood’s – which will see the Magpies have access to a social club area at the MCG once the re-building of the Northern side of the ground is completed.

“The MCC are more than happy to work with us," Campbell said.

“They realise the power of Richmond is two-fold.

“It’s not only the team and how it plays but it’s all the Richmond supporters coming to games.

“When the ‘Tiger Army’ – the yellow and black – show up, it’s a formidable force at the cash register!”

Campbell said during his short time in charge of the Tigers he was encouraged by the MCC’s attitude towards the club and its commitment in ensuring the club remained at the MCG.

“We haven’t talked about any specifics but there is an absolute sense of co-operation from the MCG to do something special for Richmond,” he said.

Glad the club is making a stand on this. It was an insult to Richmond to give the new imposters that kind of deal while taking a club that's been playing at and filling up the 'G for almost 40 years for granted.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Good to see CAMBPELL identifying issues that should reap financial rewards for the Tigers.

Hopefully is vast experience in the states will generate new ideas to ensure our financial viability and bring back the membership base that is out there.

Go Tigers

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
What ever it is it has to be better than playing at that hole called Optus Oval.

I have only ever been to one game at Tesltra and it took until quarter time to get in, but that is not the grounds fault, just the AFL.

Or if you ask them the fans fault. I suppose the fact that you couldn't get a pie after 3/4 time was also the fans fault.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Woo Hoo. Someone who, even at this early stage, recognises the true power and strength of this footy Club and doesn't go armed with a wet rolled up newspaper to make a stand on its behalf.

GR would be impressed.