Tiges v Pies - Friday Night at the 'G' | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiges v Pies - Friday Night at the 'G'

davidpalmfan

I'm a llama!
Jul 15, 2003
Hi all.....with all the controversy surrounding Danny's future I was hoping to steer the focus to an even bigger challenge this Friday night at the 'G' when we take on the pies.

Just like to hear people's thought regarding our chances/match-ups and how we can win the game.

I saw cogs article in the sun yesterday about how the boys fared on sat against the Cats and basically said that it going to be hard to come up for Friday nights' game.

Your views/thoughts?

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
It's gunna be hard without Johnson, Gas and Campbo. But if they can take something out of the second half against Geelong, we might give 'em a run for their money.

Richo often fires against the Pies - Wakelin and Presti can be vulnerable. Hope they stick Cogs on Buckley for the 1st half and Newman on Burns. Might be vice versa though.

Can't see us winning though.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hiya davidpalmfan, Welcome to PRE. :)

I am pretty sad to admit this, but I really don't care much about Friday nights game. I hope I snap out of this numbness soon.

My interest in the game is purely selfish, I hate Pies fans mouthing off when they beat us.

I hope the team finds some spirit and self belief so they don't go out there and embarrass themselves.

Those qualities have been sadly lacking this year imo.

If they don't believe they can win, they are likely to be flogged. A good positive start is vital.

Who's going to the game? I have to admit I am seriously thinking about giving it a miss. The 3 hour drive home is so depressing after a loss, and unless Richmond have a massive change of attitude I can't see them winning.

Will still tip them though of course, ha. ;D

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Hopefully Sugar pulls up ok, pot luck who to bring in for Cambo, DK and Razor are both injured, maybe its time they just promoted McGrath and let him fly high on Friday night. Frawley debuted Krak against Essendon last year didn't he ?

Lets get Mr McGrath in the team this friday, sit him in the forward pocket and let him play the way he plays, big screamers, great crumbing and a good kick for goal. In front of 50,000 mad animals, give the boy a chance.

Big Otter in the square, krak and mcgrath either side of him. Richo at CHF, so they may actually kick the ball to him for a change, instead of ignoring his leads.

I think its time Frawley started to drop some players, my possible changes would be

Out - Campbell, Biddiscombe, Rogers, Houlihan, Fiora
In - McGrath, Vardy, Nichols, Dragicevic, Schulz

P

PuntRoadRoar

There used to be a time when i looked forward to the Collingwood games because i knew we had the wood on them (excuse the pun) i would pencil in the 8 points every year, unfortunately this year we will be lucky to get within 5 goals of collingwood and with campbell and johnson not playing and richmond being so predictable expect them to replace those 2 with our two best players from the reserves last week in hilton and king, i'd doubt we will get within 5 goals of the pies by qrt time!.

everyone knows our season is lost, shame our coaching staff cant realise this and play some decent young talent for a change!

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
I'll be there come rain, hail or shine. If ever we were going to get out of the mess we are in, it will be with Richo leading us.

LIFT DAMN YOU !

gdbarrett

Some more New-men please.
Jun 18, 2003
Albury
I give us some chance. If anything can lift our spirits it's a win against Eddies mob. The club will know this.

We need a hard tag on Buckley - Flemming is the man. May need Rogers when he tires.
Newman similar on Burns.
Coglan to hit the contests and Tiva to provide the drive.

Zantuck on Tarrant
AK on Rocca

We need to get on the front foot and stretch Collingwood for height. Staff(Pocket leading into the square) , Richo(FF leading up the guts) and Holland at CHF. May have to drop Holland back on Rocca is he proves a handful for AK. Rodan and Krakour to be given plenty of ground time.

Richo needs to stand up as skippa. Great stage to stick it up em.

Go Tigers!

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
There's a lot to be said that teams start games the same way as they finish them, which our case is a good sign.

I don't rate Collingwood that good anyway...

I reckon DF should just give the team a free licence to play-on at all costs, play with flair and see what happens.

Fleming/Rogers to niggle Buckley all night,
Let Holland float up forward as well. He took some very good one-grab marks in the last quarter,

Nothin to lose now

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
SkiddyMcGhee said:
I reckon DF should just give the team a free licence to play-on at all costs, play with flair and see what happens.

Fleming/Rogers to niggle Buckley all night,
Let Holland float up forward as well. He took some very good one-grab marks in the last quarter,

Nothin to lose now

Agree here totally skiddy. Give them their head and tell them to use a bit of flair. I think SPUD has become so hung up on the teams rules (as opposed to game) plan it is actaully styfling the natural flair of some of our guys.

I think they have become scared to have a dip for fear of making a mistake. Do as he did with Cogs last year. tell them to have a go a dip and don't worry if you do make a mistake. Mind you if he actually dragged some the others who regularly make mistakes instead of the young guys we might be half way better off.

sean pean

No. 6
Jul 12, 2003
Frankston
www.groovejett.com
This is will be the one game of the year which I can’t attend therefore if Murphy’s law holds true, we MUST win!

But seriously, with 2 key players out in Cambo and Johnson it’s a big big ask. We’ll also be giving away some kilo’s in defence, even with Holland back.

Bazz – flemming on Buckly is an inspired move. That would leave Cogs free to make some play rather than be restricted in a tagging roll.

I think Newman would be the rotation on Buckly rather than Rogers though, lets wait and see…

I’m hoping to make it down to the Wantirna club to watch the game, does anyone know if they will have it on?

davidpalmfan

I'm a llama!
Jul 15, 2003
Skiddy McGhee.....you dont rate Collingwood anyway? Fair enough thats your opinion but I certainly do.....one thing suggests to me is that they were coasting at the start of the season where all they had to do was be relatively competitive...now they are starting to win big games at the business end of the season when it matters unlike us.

So if u dont rate Collingwood where do u rate us?

Oh and Im glad all the focus is on Buckley....because that is how spud will coach to minimise Buckley's output but I think we should be paying a bit more respect to the rest of their midfield who can hurt i.e. Burns, Licuria, O'Bree, Woewoedin etc....

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Please please dear lord or tiger god please let us be in front all night if possible but at least till quarter time .For most times we play Mcsquirs mob and we are in front, I make my way to near the rabble called a cheer squad and watch them fight each other.Last time it was their home game the break away rabble did have a punch up with the official mob of looses.it is great to watch and stir them on.please please tiger god.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Serioulsy dont give us any chance at all (harsh i know) but 1 and a bit quaters of play aint gonna get us through this game. I do (unlike some ppl) Rate collingwood highly, they have a strong team (which is more then i can say about us) I think they will tag cogs heavily, and put a fair tag on Newman. I think thier forward line will be too strong for us.

I am going, love going to collingwood games, the atmosphere is awesome. Unfortunetly going with 4 colliwobbles supporters and 1 tiges supporter :mad:

Would love the tiges to get up, just for the sake of braggin rights. And to see my mates faces if they lose, would be priceless ;D

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I'll be going Friday night. Leave straight from work and catch the train to the G about 15-20 minutes away.

Don't still consider the pies a real contender although they are the best Victorian side. Their weak link is their ruck plus their key defenders are a bit on the slow side IMO. Puff Puff Rocca is the barometer for them moreso than Buckley. When he fires the rest seem to lift around him. Tarrant is playing his best and most consistent footy but I still hold a question mark over him as he usually only fires against short defences (a la not against Gas). They probably will scrape into the top 4 given their soft draw since the break which is mostly against the other poor Victorian sides. Only interstate trip is to Sydney. Malthouse gets the best out of the players and the hard running and sweeping game plan is something we could learn from at Richmond. Especially being patient and trying to spot up teammates running just inside 50 whoever they are, instead of aimlessly bombing long all the time to the talls :-\ . Their whole club is overflowing to the point of arrogance with confidence and belief even though most of it is hot air ;D. That sort of thing often carries down to the 22 players who take the field. Like us in 1995.

I think we'll really struggle without Cambo and Johnson. Too much left to too few unlike earlier in the year. However I wouldn't want to miss an upset. Like g0t, love seeing their supporters' faces after a loss. Plus being there means I won't have to listen to Eddie's biased and crap commentary on the tv ::).

davidpalmfan

I'm a llama!
Jul 15, 2003
Mighty Tiges - re: Collingwood's soft draw....hmm not so sure I agree with that. I just had a look at it and whilst they have games against us, Carlton and Geelong in the next few weeks after that they have the remaining four games against quality opposition i.e. Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney (away), and Essendon so I dont think its quite the easy draw u make out. ::)

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Earlier this week I was contemplating not attending the match, as I had really had enough, plus the fact that against Geelong, not only did Ton Up mess up the ticketing, but playing 10 minutes of football almost won us a game.

I haven't missed a melbourne game this year, so why start now.

COME ON TIGERS..................

I actually had a dream last night that they named McGrath and he took Mark of the Year in the forward pocket, Punt Road End, ran around the man on the mark, kicked a goal and ran to the cheer squad and pumped his fists..........we went on to win by 52 points.

Richmond 21.9.135 defeated Collingwood 12.11.83

Goals Richmond - Richardson 5, Ottens 3, Stafford 2, Rodan 2, Krakeour 2, Holland 1, McGrath 1, Tivendale 1,
Bowden 1, Coghlan 1, Zantuck 1, Cameron 1

Best - Richardson, Coghlan, A. Kellaway, Ottens, Stafford, Holland, Fleming, Rodan

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
'Bout time I joined in. Hi all.
Great dream, MackTiger. By the way, what were the tattslotto numbers ?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
davidpalmfan said:
Mighty Tiges - re: Collingwood's soft draw....hmm not so sure I agree with that. I just had a look at it and whilst they have games against us, Carlton and Geelong in the next few weeks after that they have the remaining four games against quality opposition i.e. Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney (away), and Essendon so I dont think its quite the easy draw u make out. ::)

If you reread my post dpf I said since the break ::) which includes the doggies, roos (after they came back from Perth) and Freo (at the 'G). Don't know how you can say Essendon are quality this year. Granted no game is easy but the pies having 9 out of their last 10 games in Melbourne is a soft draw IMHO compared to the rest of the competition.