Time for Miller to Perform | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Time for Miller to Perform

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well, the time has come for Harry M. Miller to perform. The next few months will be some of the most critical in years for the RFC. Given his role as Director of Football, the club’s performance over the trading/draft period and how we begin to re-engineer this abysmal list will be fairly and squarely his responsibility.

I am worried. To date, this bloke has:

a) been involved in the recruitment of out and out hacks in the names of Pickering, Fleming and Nicholls

b) within 5 minutes of being at the club outrageously suggested that RFC supporters have no commitment to the club

c) riled Scumwood and Melthouse before the first game of the season with the suggestion that they don’t show us any respect (yeah, like we’ve really earned it !)

d) removed the termination clause from the contract of an out and out dud of a coach

e) proceeded to then publicly endorse this out and out dud of a coach at a time when we are getting pounded week in and week out and getting worse by the moment

f) suggested all of a sudden that our list isn’t all that good and we lack depth as well (like, gee thousands of supporters haven’t been screaming THAT for 10 years ? !)

g) suggested that Splud Frawley has had nothing to do with the current status of the playing list (hah hah hah…oh geez…)

h) said we need to have a cleanout of players…..

i) said it’s its not possible to have a complete cleanout of players…

j) said we will be aggressive during the trade period…..

k) said we will try to attract a big name player

l) said we will get recycled players…

m) inferred that nobody will want to trade for many of our current players…

n) on 927, endorsed Greg Beckwit - the worst Recruiting Manager in the history of the AFL.

And I’m sure others could add to this list of blunderous actions and statements……

In my mind he’s got about one thing right and that was securing Kane Johnson.

I’ll give Miller until the end of the Pre-Season draft to prove his worth. But I fear he is the overrated dud that the Kangaroos people have been saying that he is for the last few years.

Time to stand up Harry M. !

Mistakes. Excuses. Forever !

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Ah Redford, informative and concise. You are a breath of fresh air.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Don't forget the leaked memo issue where he accused cricket Victoria.

What direction will Miller take.............will he recruit youth, or recycled hacks..................he states that clubs aren't interested in our players.........this sounds like he will be targeting delisted players with our draft picks.

Hutchinson aslo stated at the forum that they will target AFL experienced players with our mid to late draft picks.

Be prepared for more pain!!!!!!

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Redford - the talk around town is that this is a very shallow draft. Nail your colours to the mast - do you agree?

Bulluss

Go the Mighty Tigers
Aug 11, 2003
Melbourne
Ah Redford, informative and concise. You are a breath of fresh air. (Do you ever reply with anything else Ridley?)

As for Redford'd comments, i dont disagree with all but do with some points. I am a Greg Miller fan and i just hope that people DO give him a chance to have an impact on our club. I think that it is unfair to really blame him for any of our recruiting from previous drafts. Anyway as i said reserve your judgment until atleast after the draft/trade period is finished.

And remember that he cant do it all in one year, as long as he sets us on the right track.

Go Tigers!

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Dean3 said:
Redford - the talk around town is that this is a very shallow draft. Nail your colours to the mast - do you agree?

Well Deano, IMO all this talk that the draft is "shallow" is just an excuse from a few clubs that have no idea about what players to select e.g. Richmond.

I haven't heard the best recruiters in the country say its a "shallow" draft e.g. Scott Clayton from the Bulldogs or James Fantasia at Adelaide or Adrian Dodoro at Essendon ??? No, it’s just been clowns like Beck and Hutchison.

Sure, this year’s draft isn’t quite as clear cut as to what order these kids will go in as some have been in the past, but I’ll guarantee you that a number of very, very good players will come out of it regardless. That’s why I reckon Richmond are crazy to be throwing away 3rd and 4th round selections. I reckon there could be some decent kids in these late rounds.

As for what players specifically I reckon appear to have some reasonable talent, I’ve posted my thoughts on them previously.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Redford, great post.
I believe Greg Miller has chased up a few of the Hammerheads from last year, new recruits at Tigerland perhaps.
They might swap Quany for Pettifer, fair trade ? ;)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Bulluss said:
…reserve your judgment until atleast after the draft/trade period is finished.

Why wait Bullus, it's obviously so much more fun, satisfying and fulfilling this way.

Bulluss said:
… he cant do it all in one year, as long as he sets us on the right track.

That's not enough for some, they want people to simply wave their magic wand and everything will be fixed in a jiffy.

Who are the deluded ones? Those who think that getting rid of the coach is going to fix all our problems with one action, or those that know it will take time to undo the past? And those that accept what is, rather than what we would like?

Whether or not people care about the off-field happenings, this is 2003 and it actually does matter to the long-term future of the Club. If those things aren't being handled properly, we might as well just pack our bags and go home now.

Blame who you like and how often you like, things aren't going to change any quicker because of it.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
But Redford didn't Kevin Sheahan also say that the quality this year isn't as good as previous years. And isn't he considered the guru of the talent going around in the TAC cup ???

Just asking/curious

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
By the way, you forgot to mention Miller et al getting Blumfield for pick 30 (?). Despite his crap season, most were pretty happy with that deal at the time.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Bulluss said:
Ah Redford, informative and concise. You are a breath of fresh air. (Do you ever reply with anything else Ridley?)

If it was misinformative and inconcise, and a breath of polluted air, then that would be my reply Bullus.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
KL, Kevin Sheahan chooses his words very carefully. What I've heard him say is that there are not the number of clear standouts (apart from Cooney) in this year's draft like there have been in previous drafts. In drafts gone past the likes of the Goddard's, Ball's, Hodge's, Clarke's, etc. etc. were all top 10 monties.

This year, it is very hard to gauge what order some of these kids may go in because a lot of them appear to be very similar.

Co-inciding with that, Sheahan also said that there weren't too many talls either in this year's draft - which normally attract a stronger interest by the clubs. Most of this year's draft are on ball/midfielder types with similar builds etc. which is adding to the confusion.

sgloury

Tiger Superstar
Aug 9, 2003
Melbourne
Fair go!

Miller has been in the role for 5 minutes and the role that he is performing needs a 5 year time horizon before you can judge his performance.

You cannot expect him to turn things around overnight and only time will tell whether our draft picks from this years draft turn out to be any good. To judge Miller only two minutes after the draft is completed is hardly fair.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Shallow draft .........pfft.

People are already making excuses for the future.

As I've said before - the draft might be shallow for standouts...........but it is NEVER shallow for talent and potential. The easy way out is to say its shallow and recruit more Nicholls' and Flemings.

Some tiger fans would fit in nicely at the club with this loser, blind faith mentality.

Excuses, pathetic, forever.

Future Tiger Champ

Tiger Cub
Jul 17, 2003
Young Tiger said:
You cannot expect him to turn things around overnight and only time will tell whether our draft picks from this years draft turn out to be any good. To judge Miller only two minutes after the draft is completed is hardly fair.

I have to agree with you there YT, it will take a few years to rate his performance

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Miller does deserve time before he is judged at Richmond but I think most would agree he hasn't hada very good first year in the job.

What will determine when and how Miller is judged is what direction the club takes from this point on. If the RFC draft and recruit players with AFL experience over kids then Miller won't be afforded or deserve as much patience than if the club went after youth.

Ruthless Tigers ?

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2003
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Greg Miller if you have the best interests of the Richmond Football Club at heart then read Frawley's comments where he accepts full responsibility for the failure of the club.

Gee your honour I didn't fire the bullet but I gave the guy the gun.....an admission of guilt an admission of incompetence.....

Greg if yiou have any balls you must get rid of DUD!

This guy has shown in his tenure that he is incapable of bring success....how much longer doe she need to turn this around.....how poor is his record over the four years?

Stats tell a story...I am willing to say that Carlton will experience success before Richmond unless Dud is removed and a successful team brought in place.

Frawley follow Manton's lead and take up soccer