Tivs turns it around | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tivs turns it around

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
1:22:09 PM Thu 24 April, 2003

One of the key factors in Richmond's solid early-season showing has been the form of Greg Tivendale.

The pacy midfielder has been racking up plenty of possessions and hurting opposition teams with his trademark penetrating left foot.

He was many critics' choice as best afield in last Monday's 26-point win over St Kilda at Telstra Dome, finishing the match with the impressive stats of 22 kicks, seven marks, three handballs and one goal (the Tigers' first after an exciting dash and a booming kick from just outside 50).

For Tivendale, the start to the season has helped erase memories of a dark 2002 -- both from an individual and team perspective.

"It's been going well till now, but it's pretty early days yet," said the likeable Tivendale in typically low-key, modest fashion.

"As a group, we worked hard over the pre-season, so we're starting to get a bit of reward for it now, although there's a long way to go."

Tivendale, who has played 77 consecutive matches for Richmond, was the Club's third-highest disposal winner last year, but is the first to admit that his form fell away after his impressive 2001 season where he helped the Tigers to third place (their highest finish since 1982).

"It certainly was a disappointing year personally," he said.

"I missed a lot of goals I should have kicked, which didn't help and I didn't have the sort of year I would have liked.

"But so far this year we're going well, so last season, hopefully, has been completely erased."

There's been so secret to Tivendale's turnaround in form -- just a simple case of good, old-fashioned hard work.

"I just trained really hard in the gym and out on the track," he said.

Tivendale was full of praise for new Richmond assistant coach Wayne Brittain, who has been given responsibility of the Tigers' midfield area.

"He's been really good, coming in and helping out the midfield. He's got the structures around the ball going well and he's introduced a couple of little ideas that have been working well, too, at the moment," Tivendale said.

According to Tivendale, two other arrivals at Tigerland in the off-season have also made a noticeable difference -- Kane Johnson and Justin Blumfield.

"Kane and Justin are both top midfielders, both premiership players, and they really add some quality depth to our midfield area. I guess it also helps free up the likes of Joel (Bowden) and 'Cambo' (Wayne Campbell) a bit as well, which is good," he said.

Tivendale's inaccuracy in front of goals last year was well-documented and it's something he's been working hard to rectify over the past few months.

"I did work pretty hard on it last year, but unfortunately it didn't show on the scoreboard," he said.

"This year I'm making a concerted effort each week at training to have a heap of shots at goal -- about 40-50 shots. I've started okay this season, kicking reasonably straight so far."

Tivendale believes the next month will be a good gauge of Richmond's capabilities in 2003.

"We've got Hawthorn, Port over there, Essendon and then Melbourne -- three sides who made the finals last year. So, it will be a good test for us," he said.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tivs should be really nicknamed "the barometer" as when he is on song and getting plenty of the ball, as he has so far this year, we're normally playing well as a team and winning. On ya Tivs!