Ton on-the-trot for Tiger Andy (RFC site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ton on-the-trot for Tiger Andy (RFC site)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ton on-the-trot for Tiger Andy
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
2:32:15 PM Thu 3 July, 2003

Brave Richmond backman Andrew Kellaway will chalk up his 100th consecutive game when he runs out to do battle for the Tigers against the Adelaide Crows at AAMI Stadium this Saturday night.

Kellaway, 27, has not missed a match since Round 5 of the 1999 season.

Since then, he has developed into one of Richmond’s most consistent performers, winning the Club’s Best and Fairest award, the prestigious Jack Dyer Medal, in 2000 and earning All-Australian selection in the same year. He has also represented Australia twice (2000 & 2002) in the International Rules Series against Ireland and gained wide recognition along the way for his superb goalkeeping efforts.

This season Kellaway has once again been resolute in defence for the Tigers, and he’s very rarely had his colors lowered.

With his great courage, discipline, determination and durability, Andrew Kellaway has become an integral part of the Richmond line-up. And, the Tiger fans just love the way he goes about his business each week across the backline.

“It’s an excellent effort by Andy,” said Richmond’s Football Manager Greg Hutchison.

“Clearly, it’s a testament to his durability and his professional approach to the game.

“I’m sure people would be surprised that he’s been able to notch 100 games straight because of the tough, uncompromising way he attacks the footy on the field. He really does smash in pretty hard, so the fact he’s been able to play 100 games on-the-trot – and not miss through injury – is a real credit to him.”

Hutchison said that Kellaway’s rise to prominence at Richmond was a classic success story . . .

“Given that he’s come from a situation five or six years ago where he was unlikely to be getting a game (AFL) anywhere – and developed into an All-Australian, a Jack Dyer Medallist and one of our first picked each week, it’s a tremendous credit to him.”

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Well done to AK on a well deserved 100 gutsy games. His efforts stand out as he often takes on and beats taller opposition forwards as well as running and jumping back into packs to take saving marks.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Congrats Andy. What a success story and a lesson to all that perseverance can pay off.
The guy wouldn't know how to give less than 100% each week. It's a miracle he hasn't been injured the way he plays the game with no regard for his own safety.
One of my most admired Tigers ever and am honoured to be president of the AK fan club.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
100 games at one club at AFL level is an achievement, but 100 consecutive games is a testament to the quality of the guy.

Well done AK. You have a heart the size of Pharlap.

I hope they pay you the respect you deserve and celebrate with a victory.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
gustiger12 said:
100 games at one club at AFL level is an achievement, but 100 consecutive games is a testament to the quality of the guy.

It still infuriates me that Matthew Knights was dropped on the eve of his second 100th consecutive game for the Tigers, when he would have joined KB as only the second Tiger player to achieve the milestone.

Number one entry in the Danny Frawley shame file IMO, especially when it was a political statement rather than a form decision. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
AK is just about the best player in the team in my opinion, along with Chaffey, Campbell and Stafford. We could do worse than make him the next captain.