Ton-up for Tiv! (RFC Site) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ton-up for Tiv! (RFC Site)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ton-up for Tiv!
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
4:38:28 PM Wed 6 August, 2003

Talented left-footer Greg Tivendale will become the 116th player in
Richmond's proud 95-year league history to reach the 100-game milestone
when he lines up against St Kilda in Saturday night's Round 19 clash at
Telstra Dome.

Tivendale, 24, is one of the big success stories of the AFL's rookie list
system. He started his football life at Richmond on the rookie list before
being promoted to the senior list in 1998.

Since then he's hardly looked back, playing 91 games on-the-trot in the
lead-up to his 100th appearance, which will take place against the Saints
under the Telstra Dome roof.

Richmond's Recruiting Manager, Greg Beck, said the century milestone -- in
such swift time -- was a tribute to Tivendale's fine character, mixed in
with a good degree of football ability.

"From the day he walked through the door at Punt Road he just didn't put a
foot wrong," Beck said.

"I remember after the first couple of weeks here that he was in our elite
running group, and he just worked his butt off in the gymnasium.

"He had this exceptional work ethic that very few young players have. It
was almost like he knew what the expectations were going to be -- and it
certainly wasn't going to be work ethic that failed him.

"That was going to be a key reason why he was going to get there -- coupled
with his natural ability.

"You just got the feeling with Greg that something good was always going to
come of his league career because he had that innate understanding of what
was required to succeed, and he's a quality person as well.

"Virtually from the moment he broke into the seniors he's held his spot,
and his form, overall, has been excellent."

Congratulations to Tivva on his 100th game but moreso congratualtions on a great season.

What other players do we have who've done well off the rookie list? Was Andy Kellaway on it or just a seconds player for a long time?

Actually I'm pretty sure Andy wasn't a rookie. I can't think of any others at all. Not an overly successful means of finding players for us really.

Onya Tivs. Both on 100 games and a top and more importantly consistent season. Top effort :) .

rosy3 said:
What other players do we have who've done well off the rookie list? Was Andy Kellaway on it or just a seconds player for a long time?

rosy, pretty sure Andy was at one time on the old supplementary list (1996 or thereabouts).

I can't think of any others at all. Not an overly successful means of finding players for us really.

Having only one rookie make it successfully to senior level since the rookie list was introduced is an indictment on our recruiting. We have totally neglected using the rookie list to our advantage. Going "short" on our list has really hurt us in this regard. Alternatively, I think Essendon have promoted three rookies in the past year or two. Pathetic :mad: .

MT, why not leave the anger behind for one email and just celebrate Tivva's achievements.

From the prez of the Tiv Club and a person who has a dog named Tiva, well done and please keep playing the way you are because nothing is better than watching tivva sail a 55+ on the run kick right thru the middle.

Rampaging Richo said:
MT, why not leave the anger behind for one email and just celebrate Tivva's achievements.

RR, in my last post, I did celebtate Tivs achievements!

It was mentioned we've been unsuccessful with the rookie list and I simply gave my opinion that we've been very poor in that area and we have missed opportunities to use the system to our advantage.

Rampaging Richo said:
From the prez of the Tiv Club and a person who has a dog named Tiva,

Well done, what good prez. I had to give you a mention on the main page for your devotion RR. :)

Hat's off to Greg Tivendale!

He's been a shining light this season and has matured into a very good footballer.

I hope they don't think of trading him because he's now our best kick, with Leon getting on, and one of our few players with genuine speed.

I'm loving the way he's gone the next level, and imposing himself on games, weaving through traffic and being creative. Handy goal kicker, too. A Tiger who's reaching his potential.

It would have to be a very good deal to even consider trading him at this stage. He hit his straps this year, and is one of just a few players who is playing every game at near full fitness.
Last year I said ( and I still believe ) that it isn't a great idea to have Tiv and Bowden in the same team and one should be traded. It seems aparent which should be offered at the end of the year.