Trade Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Thread

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The trade period is going to be a free for all but likely to be very quiet on the Tiger front. Have not heard us strongly linked to anyone so could see nothing more than a moneyball pick of some sort if any.
The AFL awarding us compensation pick 39 instead of 19 has probably hindered our chances of being a conduit in enabling other clubs to get deals done and thereby improving our draft position.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
We’ll look to trade Butler and Menadue out for pick upgrades and try and nab an extra pick next year.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
So are you thinking for example, Butler and Pick 39 for pick 15 or something like that?

That wont happen
Bulter at best on his own is a 60-70 pick.
The only one i can see if we trade McIntosh to freos 2nd rounder and then throw in Menadue for pick 87 for steak knives.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
That wont happen
Bulter at best on his own is a 60-70 pick.
The only one i can see if we trade McIntosh to freos 2nd rounder and then throw in Menadue for pick 87 for steak knives.

As you can see Zips I said FOR EXAMPLE. But Butler at a Pick 60 trade would arguably be similar to a 20 pick upgrade I would have thought. I don't expect it to happen either but I think this is the sort of EXAMPLE King Kong was referring to which is why I asked.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Having all those picks in the late 30’s/early 40’s puts us in a great position to deal with any team that’s after points for academy players or father-sons - GWS and Freo are two that come to mind. GWS will try to get a top 4 pick to get in ahead of a Green bid, but if they can’t pull that off they may well give up their first rounders to maximise the points discount. This year picks can be traded right up until the draft so we might see some post-trade week action too.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Having all those picks in the late 30’s/early 40’s puts us in a great position to deal with any team that’s after points for academy players or father-sons - GWS and Freo are two that come to mind. GWS will try to get a top 4 pick to get in ahead of a Green bid, but if they can’t pull that off they may well give up their first rounders to maximise the points discount. This year picks can be traded right up until the draft so we might see some post-trade week action too.

Doesn't GWS have Essendon's first pick from getting rid of cant kick sheild?
Brisbane havent got picks, they are always into Academy kids.
Maybe we could help them

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
we need 2020 picks for father/son points. those 3 consecutive picks at the end of the second round for us would be more beneficial next year.
We have plenty of points in our picks next year (a very weak draft) don't waste good picks this year for poor picks next year.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Has there ever been any correlation between predictions of weak and strong drafts and how it eventuated in hindsight? I'ma bit dubious personally.

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
Has there ever been any correlation between predictions of weak and strong drafts and how it eventuated in hindsight? I'ma bit dubious personally.
I love how posters always say <insert yr> Draft is supposed to be <insert good/bad>. Unless you are an AFL recruiter or in the system in some way any sort of comment on them is just speculation..

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Lloyd - C Ellis - Miles - Conca '18. Allowed the likes of Stack - Ross - Bolton - -Egg- Naish - Pickett and so on to showcase what they can do and take VFL form into the seniors. They where not dead wood NOR list cloggers but their departure allowed the next generation to get a look in and showcase what the next generation might be able to produce. 12 months on B Ellis and possibly Menadue - Butler - KMc are in the same predicament... very handy depth players but if some/all depart it again allows us to look at the next crop of Dawkins - Naish (adding to his 1 game) 2019 Draftees. Our fringe players now get us picks in the top 50, those frustrated at not playing seniors opens the door for the talented next crop to play along side dual premiership players, embrace our culture and deliver sustained success.

Love us to add some KPP players but I said the same last year and we picked up mid after mid.

Dont know if anyone has done the analysis, but I would also say we won the 2019 flag with a decent % of our players coming in from Pre Season Drafts - mid season draft - supplementary lists - Category B rookie list.... Its not all about the top 20 pick !!!

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Next years draft "apparently" is weak.
Cant see that happening.

Whether next years draft is weak or not is not really the point here. You need to dig a bit deeper. There aren't many top end talents this year expect Green for GWS. They will likely try and trade up to above where they think he will go, 3 is the safest spot so you'd think Melbourne who are open to splitting a pick.

Next year however there will be far more suiters for trading back down the order to gain more points as there are heaps of academy and f/s prospects. So having those picks doesn't mean we are banking later picks, we are banking later POINTS to trade back up the order.

There is a chance we could trade up for GWS's Pick 18 (if they give their 1st next year to Melbourne to trade up the order to 3 along with pick 12). If we trade our 3 picks in a row for pick 18 (and probably a later pick around 50 - maybe the pick they get for Patton) then we can get back up into the top 20.

I'd still take a Butler pick for 2020. We still have 2 4ths this year that I'm not sure we'll use so it will be interesting what pick games we play this year. If we could package those 2 up and get say a slightly better 4th next year then probably a good move.

Then we would take Pick 18, Pick 19 and whatever the Patton pick is, around Pick 50, and have 2 picks flowing into next year (another 3rd and another 4th).

Would be a good result if we did that.

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
An extra pick inside this year’s top 20 would definitely be handy as there’s quite a lot of highly rated tall defenders around this year - could be as many as six KPPs in the first round. I would certainly be happy to grab a couple of them and then shift any other picks into next year (compulsory 3rd pick would be a rookie upgrade).

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Wow the beginning of the trade period is on the edge of your seat stuff!!!

Its going to be an enthralling 9 D...A...Y...S................................................................................................

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wow the beginning of the trade period is on the edge of your seat stuff!!!

Can't wait for the next enthralling 9 days................................................................................................

I find it entertaining. Essendon, despite having 3 months warning, are shocked that Daniher wants to be traded to the Swans. Listening to them posture and threaten to keep him at all costs just reminds me how far back that club is in terms of creating an environment that players want to be part of.

Richmond would take a completely different approach I imagine.

Reactions: 4 users