Trojan troubles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trojan troubles

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
My AVG and Ad-aware software advise me that I have the Trojan Horse Downloader: Istbar.7.BI (or Istactivex.dll file) infecting my computer. Either of them however is able to remove it or anything else. I cant seem to manually find it either and have installed Symantec's Fxlstbar and Spysubtract to get rid of it but no joy. I'm running Windows 98SE and also have Spybot but no luck in removing this pest. Is it really there or just a signature or something and should I ignore it?
thanks CMT

Hi CMT, not sure if this applies to 98 but this link deals a bit with that Trojan

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453087541

Is your computer shutting down for no reason at all?

Thanks again TC for your response to my troubles. No its not shutting down. The link is mighty techo for me but I'll have to tackle through it. Cheers

G'day guys...been having a few trojan issues myself of late. If .dll files are hidden or in use during operation, I generally find the best way is to run adaware or similar, note the corrupt location. restart PC in "safe" mode...just keep pushing F5 during start-up...it only runs essential system stuff. Then use search to find the pesky file and delete. Empty recycle bin and generally life is then good!!!! This sounds a lot harder than it is!!

Hi Bairdy, I asked the Bangkok Post newspaper here (computer section guru) about my problem and he advised me to try the software Counterspy. www.sunbeltsoftware.com/counterspy-download.cfm. It worked a treat. The trojan was a keylogger so I was lucky to get rid of it though the phishers probably know my PRE login. Its a 15 day free trial and it was the only spyware removal programme that worked.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Hi Bairdy, I asked the Bangkok Post newspaper here (computer section guru) about my problem and he advised me to try the software Counterspy. www.sunbeltsoftware.com/counterspy-download.cfm. It worked a treat. The trojan was a keylogger so I was lucky to get rid of it though the phishers probably know my PRE login. Its a 15 day free trial and it was the only spyware removal programme that worked.
CMT
Thanks for this, will give it a try.
Have had a heap of trojan problems lately
Well, no problems, just constant warnings

New York Tiger said:
If you're having Trojan problems, maybe it's time to use Lifestyles?  :rofl
:hihi This should be on Tiger Talk where everyone can read it NYT. You get a vote from me for this month's best. LMAO

New York Tiger said:
If you're having Trojan problems, maybe it's time to use Lifestyles? :rofl

NYT, just got this. Taken me a while. Well Done :clap

While I am on the net I often see a window pop up on the bottom of my screen with no name of it, it only comes up for a sec, and comes back at random occasions.
It is very annoying, I have ran counter spy, and other spyware programs and my pc is clear.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and how to get rid of it?

Sorry Stevo, this has turned into the profolactic thread

I will see iff the boss has any ideas

Anyone having trouble with trojans that you cant remove, try spyware doctor. It worked well for me, when Norton would'nt remove it. I downloaded spyware doctor & removed the trojan & a few other problems. The best thing is it's free. I dont know the exact address, if you type spyware doctor in your address bar it will give you the sites to visit & download it.

TIGEREXTRA said:
While I am on the net I often see a window pop up on the bottom of my screen with no name of it, it only comes up for a sec, and comes back at random occasions.
It is very annoying, I have ran counter spy, and other spyware programs and my pc is clear.

Any ideas what might be causing this, and how to get rid of it?

I had the same problem. After my hard drive crashed 2 weeks ago, I decided to some testing with it and went to every dodgy download site I could click on, then tested all the spyware programs, because I am embarking on further study and wanted to make sure I had the best spyware available. The most effective ones I found were:
AVG (Free)
(Download at: http://www.supportcave.com/avg-anti-virus.html)

EWIDO (note: only get 14 day free trial)
(Download at: http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ )

Spywareblaster (Free)
(Download at: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html)

Please note: It is best to boot your computer in safe mode and run these programs. The spyware (or malware) tends to start when the computer is booted in normal mode and safe mode makes it inactive.

I found Ewido the most effective. It solved my pop-up windows problems. If you have some sort of infection, it is best to run 2-3 of these programs to make sure that you have cleaned it up.

Then run a Panda online scan. (Note: Takes up to 15 minutes and works only with Internet Explorer).

(Here: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

When I was sure the drive was clean, I then installed a personal firewall (free).
Zone Alarm
(Download at: http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html?part=zonealarm&subj=dlpage&tag=button )

Hope this helps. Let me know if doesn't.

I recently formatted my pc and an old problem came back.
Last time I used ad-aware to get rid of this problem and it nailed a few others as well.
The problem this time is, when I run ad-aware, it only gets so far before stopping and not being able to go past a certain file. So the scan won't complete and I can't get rid of the offending bugs or trojans or whatever.
I have tried running ad-aware and AVG and ewido and counter-spy and spybot s&d and zone alrm and those sorts of things in safe mode but they all come up clear. Except for ad-aware which does exactly the same thing as when it runs in normal mode.
What do I do?? :help

Tigerdog said:
I recently formatted my pc and an old problem came back.
Last time I used ad-aware to get rid of this problem and it nailed a few others as well.
The problem this time is, when I run ad-aware, it only gets so far before stopping and not being able to go past a certain file. So the scan won't complete and I can't get rid of the offending bugs or trojans or whatever.
I have tried running ad-aware and AVG and ewido and counter-spy and spybot s&d and zone alrm and those sorts of things in safe mode but they all come up clear. Except for ad-aware which does exactly the same thing as when it runs in normal mode.
What do I do?? :help

Anyone???

These pop-ups are driving me insane!! :bash