Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Wouldn't that be the AFL suits *smile* the game?? Umpires can only try n adjudicate to the hundreds of rules and interpretations that the AFL pushes them too. If the umps don't do the job H.O. requires of them, they get dropped to magoos or suburban footy. The more over the top *smile* n insignificant crap they're forced to adjudicate, the more the fans hate them n hurl abuse at the wrong targets.
That’s who I am referring to TM. The umpires have been handed an impossible task of adjudicating these rules

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'm not apologising for anyone, I've said I don't like the free kick.

But when I look at these two examples from basically the last game before ours then I absolutely disagree with your last comment.

This sort of thing happens multiple times every game every week and you think after one garbage decision in one game every player should change the way they play?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I thought that was over the line at the time. Of course there was no review.
I was listening on radio and the commentators mentioned they were surprised it wasn’t reviewed. On that image it’s clearly over the line, was any contact before the line?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Just watched the last qtr game against Essendon in 95.
The Maxfield goal game.
As soon as the siren goals, Graham Bond says 'the Richmond supporters not to happy with the umpires"
A massive boo can be heard when the umpires leave the ground.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
People complained about 60 free kicks Friday night, if they did this, heads would explode at 120+ frees per game.

Which begs the obvious question - how do you decide which frees are not going to be paid?

If you see an infringement you pay the free. The infringements will reduce.

At the moment we had our game with 61 free kicks and Melbourne v Freo with 27 free kicks. How does that happen if both games are adjudicated the same?

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I agree with you but, for me, I would be happy enough if the rules were interpreted in exactly the same way for both teams on the park. This rarely happens
This is why we need to take common sense out as its just another interpretation that will cause inconsistencies. Umpire against what's in the rule book black and white. If necessary tweak the rules not interpretations that are objective.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think the debate is moving from 'we are getting screwed' to the whole game is screwed. I don't watch to many non-Richmond games, but when I do I see the same terrible decions being paid. Just saw another ridiculous 'dangerous' tackle free kick paid against Carlton. That rule needs to be binned. If somebody gets ko'ed then suspend them-otherwise if it's a fair tackle (not high, low or in the back)-then play on. I think the rule as it currently stands is impossible to adjudicate because the tackle usually spins the player more than 180 degrees so it's impossible for the umpire to have an unimpeded view.
The umpires have to decide whether a tackle is dangerous, whether a slight lifting of the arms is dissent, whether a player just kicked the ball poorly or showed insuffient intent to keep the ball in play etc etc etc.

No wonder we get inconsistency

This is the legacy of SHocking being continued by BScott

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

It was close so why no review?

That's not a difficult decision, there is no positioning issue when calling for a review, nerves etc don't stop you calling for a review.

What is the excuse?

Now, I reckon our defenders played this situation badly, but clearly this is a clanger . . . precisely what the ARC is supposed to deal with.

Makes no sense.

DS

Reactions: 2 users